News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: elsmere241 on March 15, 2024, 10:33:42 AM
When you thought an Apple ][ was hot stuff.
I still miss Appleworks on a IIe...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Never.  It was a toy compared to the real computers - mostly mainframes that would either be running batch jobs or shared between 50 users most of the time, unless you logged on in the middle of the night.

roadman65

When shopping malls were a thing.  No dead malls but a place to go on a Saturday afternoon and walk around.

I remember blue laws that kept the malls closed on Sundays.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on March 15, 2024, 03:45:19 PM
When shopping malls were a thing.

I'm too old if I remember the present?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Dead malls have been around over my multi-decade lifetime, so we must be talking OLD.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2024, 08:02:38 PM
Dead malls have been around over my multi-decade lifetime, so we must be talking OLD.

Like that late 1970s Saturday Night Live skit about the 'Schotch Boutique' (one of the last remaining stores in a dying mall).

Mike

CtrlAltDel

the Franco-Prussian War
the French Commune
the publication of Around the World in Eighty Days
US Civil War Reconstruction
the establishment of Yellowstone National Park
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

John Belushi and Gilda Radner on SNL.

Sheryl Crowe

elsmere241

Quote from: kkt on March 15, 2024, 03:40:16 PM

Never.  It was a toy compared to the real computers - mostly mainframes that would either be running batch jobs or shared between 50 users most of the time, unless you logged on in the middle of the night.

I was six years old when I first saw one, and hadn't really seen any other computers.  (Though the one at Kmart had a reel-to-reel tape drive.)

roadman65

When panhandling was only tolerated ( and seen) in urban areas.  You never ( or rarely) saw them in suburban or rural areas.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: elsmere241 on March 18, 2024, 03:53:40 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 15, 2024, 03:40:16 PM

I was six years old when I first saw one, and hadn't really seen any other computers.  (Though the one at Kmart had a reel-to-reel tape drive.)

With the exception of playing games on an Atari 2600 and a Magnavox Odyssey, the Apple ][ was my first exposure to computers, as they had one in the back of our classroom when I was 8. Of course, that meant playing exactly one educational game: "Guess the President" (I forget the actual name) for about 5-10 minutes. Didn't see Oregon Trail until 7-8th grade, but by then, I was a little more interested in mucking around with BASIC coding than dying of dysentery.

kkt

When Kaiser was most famous for building ships.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.