News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

We've got a bunch of long-running challenge threads going on currently, so here's an idea for one that's more fast-paced. Yes, it's your Daily Picture Challenge™!

Here are the rules:

1. Only one Challenge per calendar day (not per 24 hours). Calendar days are counted by your local time, so if it's the correct date when and where you post, it's valid. (However, if you use a time standard other than your local time zone for forum purposes, then the calendar day will be determined by this time standard instead.) When posting an Answer, please quote the Challenge statement to which you're responding (in case the date displayed for some users doesn't match the Challenge date).

2. Anyone may post the next day's Challenge, subject of course to Rule #1.

3. Challenges should be reasonably easy to satisfy; the idea is to get a variety of content on different themes, not to try to stump ourselves.

4. You may continue to submit pictures that satisfy the Challenge throughout that calendar day, after which it becomes closed and we move on to the next day's Challenge. However, a Challenge is not closed if there are no pictures submitted that satisfy it, but we still move on to the next day's Challenge. So, if any prior day's Challenge is still open, you may post an Answer to that Challenge as well as to the current day's Challenge, in which case the prior Challenge becomes closed (but the current Challenge remains open all day).

4a. If no Challenge is posted for a particular day, you may post a Challenge for that day, together with a valid Answer, at any future time (subject to Rule #4 above) in order to maintain the daily sequence.

5. Pictures can be from any source to which you have access. Google Street View is allowed, unless specifically prohibited for a particular day's Challenge. EDIT: Pictures must appear inline within your post, not as an off-site URL, and must conform to forum size limits.

6. Limit one photo per Answer per day, and three Answers per post. For example, if the Challenge is "post photos of route 1", you could submit one photo of US 1, one photo of CA 1, and one photo of FL A1A. But you cannot post three photos of US 1, and the next poster cannot use US 1, CA 1 or FL A1A. (There may be specific Challenges where the "one-Answer" rule doesn't make sense, in which case it may be suspended.) Also, please observe forum guidelines for picture size, no double-posting, and so forth.

Other rules may be discovered and added here as we go along.

This thread is posted under Traffic Control because it's where most of the other challenge threads are, but the challenges need not be limited to signs and signals; any road-related subject matter will do. (MODS: perhaps more appropriate in the Photos sub-forum?)

So here we go with the first Daily Picture Challenge™ for January 2, 2017! For this Challenge only, entries can be submitted throughout January 2 and 3, in addition to whatever new Challenge may appear for January 3. Have fun!

Please quote the Challenge statement below:
QuoteJanuary 2, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of wrong-way concurrencies between an Interstate and its parallel US route companion, or any pair of routes that are generally parallel along the same corridor for a substantial distance (not just routes that happen to have the same cardinal directions posted.)

wanderer2575

QuoteChallenge: Post photos of wrong-way concurrencies between an Interstate and its parallel US route companion, or any pair of routes that are generally parallel along the same corridor for a substantial distance (not just routes that happen to have the same cardinal directions posted.)

I think I-75 and US-23 between northern Ohio and Standish, Michigan are parallel companions enough that this 1/4-mile concurrency near Perrysburg counts.  (They also share a same-way concurrency in Michigan between Flint and Standish.)

Mapmikey

QuoteChallenge: Post photos of wrong-way concurrencies between an Interstate and its parallel US route companion, or any pair of routes that are generally parallel along the same corridor for a substantial distance (not just routes that happen to have the same cardinal directions posted.)

I believe this meets the intent of "any pair of routes that are generally parallel along the same corridor..."

US 60 and VA 5 are parallel within a reasonably narrow corridor from Richmond to Williamsburg.  They have overlays on both ends but one of them is a wrong-way concurrency...

This is in Williamsburg...

empirestate

New Challenge for January 3, 2017!

Please quote the Challenge statement below:
QuoteJanuary 3, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of county route shields that are not the standard pentagon (or even an attempt at one). Squares, circles, diamonds, county outline cut-outs–let's see 'em!

Here's an Orange County outline-within-a-diamond shield, from my very old and decrepit photo collection:

That shield has since been replaced with a[n attempt at the] standard pentagon shield. :(

Also, as a reminder, yesterday's Challenge for wrong-way concurrencies is still open the rest of today as well:
QuoteJanuary 2, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of wrong-way concurrencies between an Interstate and its parallel US route companion, or any pair of routes that are generally parallel along the same corridor for a substantial distance (not just routes that happen to have the same cardinal directions posted.)

Here's one, from Elizabethtown, NY:

GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/8DpVMsPgRDu

MNHighwayMan

QuoteJanuary 3, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of county route shields that are not the standard pentagon (or even an attempt at one). Squares, circles, diamonds, county outline cut-outs–let's see 'em!

Carver County roads 101 (former MN-101) and 61 (formerly US-212) in Chanhassen, MN — taken July 30, 2016

Aitkin CR-3 and 5 at the western terminus of former MN-232 (now a part of CR-3), just outside the town of Palisade — taken August 21, 2011

Edited to add second photo.

Edit 2 to fix broken link.

paulthemapguy

For context, this is what the typical Wisconsin county shield looks like:

WI-179A by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Crawford County, Wisconsin, has a few weird ones with the county name strung across the top.

WI-CrawfordE by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

TravelingBethelite

For January 2nd's Challenge,
QuoteChallenge: Post photos of wrong-way concurrencies between an Interstate and its parallel US route companion, or any pair of routes that are generally parallel along the same corridor for a substantial distance (not just routes that happen to have the same cardinal directions posted):

I-44 West/OK 3 East, Oklahoma City, OK

For January 3rd's Challenge,
QuoteChallenge: Post photos of county route shields that are not the standard pentagon (or even an attempt at one). Squares, circles, diamonds, county outline cut-outs–let's see 'em!
they didn't even try:

I-44 East & Laclede County Road X44-616, Phillipsburg, MO
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

PHLBOS

For January 2nd's Challenge,
QuoteChallenge: Post photos of wrong-way concurrencies between an Interstate and its parallel US route companion, or any pair of routes that are generally parallel along the same corridor for a substantial distance (not just routes that happen to have the same cardinal directions posted):

I-95 North/US 1 South (concurrency runs for about 3 miles) along I-93/US 1 South: Canton, MA

For January 3rd's Challenge,
QuoteChallenge: Post photos of county route shields that are not the standard pentagon (or even an attempt at one). Squares, circles, diamonds, county outline cut-outs–let's see 'em!

Lincoln Ave. at CR 508 in Orange, NJ
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Ulster County, NY
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

Scioto County, Ohio:

Jim

I think I just posted this in another thread very recently, but I believe this my best one to contribute to this challenge.  Taken just off US 191 in Utah.  September 27, 2003.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

empirestate

It's almost January 4th in my time zone; who wants to do the next Challenge? Remember, anyone can post the Daily Challenge; you don't have to wait for me to do it! ;-)

iPhone

wanderer2575

January 4th's challenge:

Post photos of one or more BGSs together that show at least one interstate, one US, and one state route shield.

Eastbound I-696 in Southfield MI during a sign replacement project in 2005.

MNHighwayMan

January 4, 2017:
Post photos of one or more BGSs together that show at least one interstate, one US, and one state route shield.

South end of I-380 near Coralville/Iowa City

PHLBOS

QuotePost photos of one or more BGSs together that show at least one interstate, one US, and one state route shield.
Approaching the Braintree Split (via I-93 (US 1/MA 3) Southbound):

GPS does NOT equal GOD

paulthemapguy

QuotePost photos of one or more BGSs together that show at least one interstate, one US, and one state route shield.

Here's all three in the same multiplex--

IMG_5692 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Eth

I-75 northbound approaching I-575 in Marietta:

formulanone

Research Park Boulevard north of AL 53 near Huntsville:

hbelkins

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 04, 2017, 12:14:49 AM
January 4th's challenge:

Today, that would be done in reverse. They'd be taking the signs off the bridge and mounting them on a gantry.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2017, 11:33:37 AM
January 4th's challenge:

Today, that would be done in reverse. They'd be taking the signs off the bridge and mounting them on a gantry.
And Highway Gothic would be replacing Clearview.  :)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

TravelingBethelite

CT, old-style:

I-91 at Exit 28: southbound U.S. 5/CT 15/Wilbur Cross Highway, South Meadows, Hartford, CT
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

jbnv

Verona, Wisconsin:

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wanderer2575

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 04, 2017, 02:07:37 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2017, 11:33:37 AM
January 4th's challenge:

And Highway Gothic would be replacing Clearview.  :)

Actually, these signs were replaced again (on a new gantry) just a couple years later when the Franklin Road bridge was replaced and widened.

I'll believe FHWA Gothic is replacing Clearview in Michigan when I see it.

Mapmikey

Photo courtesy Joyner Library, E. Carolina Univ.

This is in Pitt County in the 1960s.  All NC secondary routes were signed this way from 1959 until 1970?  I never saw this style marker that I recall in the mid 70s in eastern NC.

The 22 does designate Pitt County.  Pitt is not 22nd alphabetically from A or in reverse from Z.  However, it appears this number is obtained this way:  Take each NCDOT Division and list the counties in that division alphabetically.  If you list all of Division 1 A-Z, then Division 2 A-Z etc., Pitt is 22nd in this list.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.