News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

There will be a major I-805 closing this weekend in So San Diego

Started by ARMOURERERIC, August 14, 2013, 11:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

The 805 is an order of magnitude less crowded than the 405.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on August 15, 2013, 11:43:37 PM
The 805 is an order of magnitude less crowded than the 405.

Agreed.  Compared to I-405 in Los Angeles and San Diego Counties, I-805 is not especially busy.   

Highest AADT (according to FHWA) was only 227,000 in 2011.

I-405 is a little busier at almost 380,000 at its busiest point.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

realjd

How do the peak cars compare though? In my experience, the 805 gets just as bad during rush hour as the 405, although for a shorter amount of time and a shorter distance.

agentsteel53

Quote from: realjd on August 21, 2013, 03:58:35 PM
How do the peak cars compare though? In my experience, the 805 gets just as bad during rush hour as the 405, although for a shorter amount of time and a shorter distance.

indeed.  the northernmost few miles of 805 compare to anything in LA.  southbound, there's no point in trying to get on that road between 2pm and 7pm.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mrsman

Freeway segments have to close from time to time for construction.  In many areas, there are sufficient alternate routes, so that this would not really be a problem.  Most of the LA area, is a big freeway grid, so most segments that close can be fairly easily bypassed on other freeways.  With the 405 Orange County closure, local streets can serve as an alternate for local traffic.  For long distance traffic, the 91 freeway or PCH can serve.  For really long distance bypass, you can use the 5.

The 405 closure of the Sepulveda Pass was really Carmageddon.  The local bypasses are narrow canyon roads.  No other good connection from Valley to the Beach.  LAX is not far from the closure, so a lot of routes to LAX would also be burdened.

The 805 closure is not carmageddon.  There are other bypasses.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.