News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 50/301(Chesapeake Bay Bridge)

Started by 74/171FAN, June 18, 2009, 08:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 30, 2021, 05:21:23 PM
Update on the proposed third span:

QuoteDELMARVA — The Bay bridge is getting a possible third location, and some residents and Broadneck council members aren't happy about it.
Maryland transportation officials recommended building a new Chesapeake Bay bridge at the site of the existing two spans that cross between Annapolis and Kent Island. Broadneck council members tells 47 ABC, the overall concern is that once the location is selected, no other locations will be considered.

Read more here: https://www.wmdt.com/2021/04/chesapeake-bay-bridge-may-get-a-third-location/

"Broadneck council members tells 47 ABC, the overall concern is that once the location is selected, no other locations will be considered."

Well, yeah, that's how it generally works. What sense would it be to consider a bunch of locations, select a location, and then consider all the locations again?

jmacswimmer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 30, 2021, 06:48:15 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 30, 2021, 05:21:23 PM
Update on the proposed third span:

QuoteDELMARVA — The Bay bridge is getting a possible third location, and some residents and Broadneck council members aren't happy about it.
Maryland transportation officials recommended building a new Chesapeake Bay bridge at the site of the existing two spans that cross between Annapolis and Kent Island. Broadneck council members tells 47 ABC, the overall concern is that once the location is selected, no other locations will be considered.

Read more here: https://www.wmdt.com/2021/04/chesapeake-bay-bridge-may-get-a-third-location/

"Broadneck council members tells 47 ABC, the overall concern is that once the location is selected, no other locations will be considered."

Well, yeah, that's how it generally works. What sense would it be to consider a bunch of locations, select a location, and then consider all the locations again?

These tend to be the same voices who complain about the excessive traffic on local roads such as MD 179 & College Parkway trying to jump the queue at exit 32 during peak travel times, which is further exacerbated on days like today when MDTA can't open the reversed lane due to weather (nasty wind, in this case).  They do realize that the added capacity of a 3rd span would go a long way towards alleviating this problem, right?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Anne Arundel Co. reacts to possibility of 2nd Chesapeake Bay Crossing in Md.

QuoteFollowing the release of an environmental impact statement that appears to lean toward another span in Maryland to alleviate traffic over the old Chesapeake Bay Bridge, the Anne Arundel County Executive isn't thrilled with the conclusions.

QuoteThe Chesapeake Bay Crossing Study is currently in Tier 1 of its review of whether or not to construct commuting alternatives to supplement the existing bridge.

QuoteThe study published its Draft Environmental Impact Statement, or DEIS, which explored four possible options and listed some of the reasons why the so-called "Corridor 7"  alternative, which includes a new span, has its advantages.

QuoteCorridor 7, which would put a new span right next to the existing Bay Bridge running through Annapolis at Sandy Point State Park, is recommended by the Maryland Transportation Authority.

QuoteThe choices also included not building anything new at all.

QuoteIn a five-page written response, Anne Arundel County Executive Steuart Pittman's office thinks the DEIS failed when it came to producing accurate traffic assumptions, purpose and need, sufficient environmental impact of a Corridor 7 project. Pittman's office said researchers did not dig deep enough into a no-build option.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

Nothing but NIMBY. Any new span would significantly relieve congestion and is needed yesterday.

jmacswimmer

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Mr_Northside

Was down in OC about a month ago, and noticed there was a lot of foundations (not sure of the proper term) for a bunch of overhead gantries (especially on the Kent Island side). 
At least one of the signal gantries on the WB span was replaced with a new monotube structure.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

davewiecking

View of some of the newly installed arrow gates on the left side of the eastern (Kent Island) approach. Taken earlier this week.

Mr_Northside

I actually just saw a few of those on StreetView earlier today (they have some fairly recent images dated for 11/21).   With the GSV you can kind of make out what it's gonna be like when they are done on both sides of the bridge.  And some of the median foundations on the highway EB approaching the bridge from a few miles out - a lot of them are "tagged" as either "OH-[number]" or "G-[number]" (and I believe the numbers ascended/descended oppositely depending on if they were "G" or "OH".  It had me curious as to what that indicates.
They also seem to be starting to erect the gantries on either approaching roadway  (I saw the foundations for them in the median and on the sides in person last summer on the way to/from the beach).

During my trips to the beach last summer, some of the overhead lane control gantries on the 3-lane span were replaced with monotube structures.   The GSV showed a few more have been since then, though not in any real systemic fashion.   I wonder if this whole project will have them all replaced on both spans, or if they're just replacing ones that are maybe deteriorating to the point of needing replaced on just an as-needed basis.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mapmikey

Quote from: Mr_Northside on December 23, 2021, 05:45:11 PM
I actually just saw a few of those on StreetView earlier today (they have some fairly recent images dated for 11/21).   With the GSV you can kind of make out what it's gonna be like when they are done on both sides of the bridge.  And some of the median foundations on the highway EB approaching the bridge from a few miles out - a lot of them are "tagged" as either "OH-[number]" or "G-[number]" (and I believe the numbers ascended/descended oppositely depending on if they were "G" or "OH".  It had me curious as to what that indicates.
They also seem to be starting to erect the gantries on either approaching roadway  (I saw the foundations for them in the median and on the sides in person last summer on the way to/from the beach).

During my trips to the beach last summer, some of the overhead lane control gantries on the 3-lane span were replaced with monotube structures.   The GSV showed a few more have been since then, though not in any real systemic fashion.   I wonder if this whole project will have them all replaced on both spans, or if they're just replacing ones that are maybe deteriorating to the point of needing replaced on just an as-needed basis.

G is almost certainly "gate" given where I see G-7 in GMSV.

OH is likely "Overhead" for a sign bridge of some sort...

jmacswimmer

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

plain

So now I'm thinking they're going to make the crossing 3-2-3? It would make the most sense given there would be no additional crossings north or south (until CBBT) of here.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Alps

jmacswimmer

Quote from: plain on April 21, 2022, 03:28:57 PM
So now I'm thinking they're going to make the crossing 3-2-3? It would make the most sense given there would be no additional crossings north or south (until CBBT) of here.

Not a direct answer to your question, but following the approval of the Tier 1 FEIS I came across this article noting a push from various MD counties to instead completely replace the 2 existing spans with an 8-lane span.

https://www.marylandmatters.org/2022/04/29/local-leaders-urge-mdta-to-replace-bay-bridge-with-new-8-lane-span/

Over the course of the last few months, however, officials from 12 of Maryland's 23 counties have quietly embraced a new concept for easing congestion at the Bay Bridge: a new span, with eight or more lanes, to replace the existing spans.

The 12 counties, along with summer destination Ocean City, have passed resolutions or sent letters of support for the concept. Some jurisdictions have directed their letters to Hogan (R) and/or transportation secretary James F. Ports Jr. Others have sent letters of support directly to the Queen Anne's County Commission, where the idea appears to have originated.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

NJRoadfan

If lower upkeep costs in the future make up for the higher upfront construction price of an 8-lane span, its an option worth considering. Don't be surprised if anything new they build (in any alternative) is a cable stay structure..

jmacswimmer

Following the recent approval of the Tier 1 NEPA study, Governor Hogan announced this morning the launch of the Tier 2 NEPA study:

https://wtop.com/maryland/2022/06/maryland-launches-next-study-for-new-bay-bridge-span/

Gov. Larry Hogan said Friday that the state is launching a "critical"  $28 million study that will not only look into the new crossing, but also examine traffic solutions for the entire 22-mile corridor from the Severn River Bridge to the U.S. 50/301 split.

https://twitter.com/GovLarryHogan/status/1535240087335800832?cxt=HHwWgMC4qbauos4qAAAA
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

davewiecking

In addition to the new arrow gates, I noticed earlier this week that there seem to be LED's embedded in the roadway at points where the lanes can have their directions switched. Not a solid strip, but dashes perhaps 12"  long and 1"  wide. I assume these will be illuminated only during contraflow times.

roadman65

I was noticing further down bay that at Cove Point, MD you have a narrow channel across the bay. Has anyone in MDSHA ever considered a potential crossing between there and Golden Hill on the Eastern Shore?

Or do the wetlands near Golden Hill rule that out?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RoadPelican

Too many wetlands near Golden Hill and even if you build the bridge in that location, you still have to traverse through 30 miles of low-lying swamp area aka Blackwater and Nanticoke National Wildlife Refuge in order to link up with US 50.

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on August 31, 2022, 12:31:05 PM
I was noticing further down bay that at Cove Point, MD you have a narrow channel across the bay. Has anyone in MDSHA ever considered a potential crossing between there and Golden Hill on the Eastern Shore?

Or do the wetlands near Golden Hill rule that out?

Yes...

See http://www.roadstothefuture.com for early corridors.

In 2020, 14 different corridors were considered - see

https://baycrossingstudy.com/images/nepa_process/BCS%20Alternatives%20Report.pdf

The elimination of the various corridors is contained here:

https://baycrossingstudy.com/tier-1-study-completed/alternatives-screening

jmacswimmer

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

davewiecking

ALCS starts next Tuesday. That would have course be the Automated Lane Closure System, putting many orange-barrel movers on the unemployment line. Although the article hints that MTA began work on this system last month, the project has been underway for much more than a year. The article also makes no mention of the new LEDs embedded in various parts of the roadways.

https://www.wrde.com/news/new-project-hopes-to-improve-bay-bridge-traffic-flow/article_686e8d4c-7b49-11ed-a7fd-5769a5a674fe.html

davewiecking

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.