News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

The tolling in Atlantic County got screwed up when they built the ACE. They also removed the southbound on-ramp/northbound off-ramp toll at Exit 36. It only got worse when mainline tolling went one-way and then Exit 41 was built completely toll free and Exit 44's missing ramps were added without tolls. Northbound is further made free by Exit 50 lacking a toll just before the New Gretna barrier (for US-9 traffic).

As it stands now, you can get on at Exit 25 for free and not pay a toll for 25 miles if you get off at Exit 50. Two-way tolling at Great Egg prevented that in the past. Further south you can drive from Exit 0 to Exit 13 for free (or 17 if you u-turn in the service plaza) thanks to the free ex-NJDOT section in the middle. Southbound can do Exit 20 to 0 free.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 09, 2021, 10:25:33 PM
One spot that wasn't tolled that should've been is where the GSP and ACX meet. The two toll roads opted for a simple cloverleaf interchange rather than something that would've been more suitable for collecting tolls. Would it have jammed with congestion? Probably.  But that didn't stop them from tolling elsewhere where congestion was probable.
For what it's worth, if you use that interchange, you will be paying a toll. It just won't be to the NJTA. In fact, it's impossible to drive any part of the ACE and not pay at least one toll unless you turn around at the service area which adds 15 miles. What that free interchange does do is allow you to leave the ACE (let's say for gas, food, etc. cheaper than what you'd get in the service area) and re-enter it without paying an extra toll like you would at every other interchange.

jakeroot

Does anyone have any pictures / know of any online albums showing the reconstructed interchange at Exit 109 (Newman Springs Rd)?

Google Maps suggests that the ramps are open; other online results suggest the project was finished some time ago. Just not seeing any final pictures or flyovers, etc.

famartin

Quote from: jakeroot on August 10, 2021, 05:34:08 PM
Does anyone have any pictures / know of any online albums showing the reconstructed interchange at Exit 109 (Newman Springs Rd)?

Google Maps suggests that the ramps are open; other online results suggest the project was finished some time ago. Just not seeing any final pictures or flyovers, etc.

Flyovers? You mean like pictures from the air, not flyover ramps?

jakeroot

Quote from: famartin on August 10, 2021, 05:37:38 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 10, 2021, 05:34:08 PM

Flyovers? You mean like pictures from the air, not flyover ramps?

Right, like from a drone or something. But I don't mean that I need that stuff, just was looking for stuff like that. Or dashcam footage, pictures. Literally anything.

I'm curious primarily about how they've signalized the two intersections east of the overpass (the new one and the redesigned old intersection at Half Mile).

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/a9kRKyiTbYEXxwfj7
Like the 2 digit shield for NJ 166 at Exit 83.  :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Why is exit 171 left turn only? They could just make the curb return a little larger and allow right turns.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 07, 2021, 11:31:51 PM
Why is exit 117 left turn only? They could just make the curb return a little larger and allow right turns.

GSV link?

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Alps

Why is exit 171 left turn only? They could just make the curb return a little larger and allow right turns.
Probably a deal with the town to avoid adding traffic.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on September 08, 2021, 12:41:55 AM

I tried doing a little internet research, and it appears there's a push over the last 5 years or so to allow right turns here.

My guess is that, when the GSP was first built, the towns to the east (to the right) were against traffic going their direction.  Seeing the narrowness of the roadway further down, I tend to believe there was some pushback having this interchange exist in the first place, and having all traffic turning left was the compromise. Or being NJ, there was a disagreement and this was payback.

To change just the curbing today ignores what else is there - namely, a traffic light post and wetlands.  If it was open, it would be a lot easier to do. And any intersection project involves handicap accessible improvements as well. The solution is relatively simple. But there's quite a bit of execution needed to resolve the problem.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 08, 2021, 09:49:57 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 08, 2021, 12:41:55 AM

I tried doing a little internet research, and it appears there's a push over the last 5 years or so to allow right turns here.

My guess is that, when the GSP was first built, the towns to the east (to the right) were against traffic going their direction.  Seeing the narrowness of the roadway further down, I tend to believe there was some pushback having this interchange exist in the first place, and having all traffic turning left was the compromise. Or being NJ, there was a disagreement and this was payback.

To change just the curbing today ignores what else is there - namely, a traffic light post and wetlands.  If it was open, it would be a lot easier to do. And any intersection project involves handicap accessible improvements as well. The solution is relatively simple. But there's quite a bit of execution needed to resolve the problem.

The other question is WB lefts to get on the Parkway. Opening only the NB right is half a paired movement.

Roadgeek Adam

171 is not original. I can check tomorrow night, but I know for a fact 171 was built later despite being proposed in original. Will check on why these turns are weird.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 09, 2021, 12:29:05 AM
171 is not original. I can check tomorrow night, but I know for a fact 171 was built later despite being proposed in original. Will check on why these turns are weird.

You already checked  :D

I did find some NJTA minutes (cached link since the PDF doesn't appear to work) stating the right turn ban is based on an agreement with the county, Woodcliff Lake, and NJTA (then HA). Woodcliff Lake is the only holdout.

famartin

Found this interesting sign on the ramp from CR 651 (Fire Road) to the parkway in Egg Harbor Township. Guess the NJTA has, at least in the past, occasionally used the ACE trailblazer.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on September 29, 2021, 06:33:31 PM
Found this interesting sign on the ramp from CR 651 (Fire Road) to the parkway in Egg Harbor Township. Guess the NJTA has, at least in the past, occasionally used the ACE trailblazer.

This looks like a more classic NJHA assembly that was done before the NJTA started using their MUTCDish standards a few years ago.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on September 29, 2021, 10:25:12 PM
This looks like a more classic NJHA assembly that was done before the NJTA started using their MUTCDish standards a few years ago.

Possible. Its really hard to tell from GSV but this assembly might've been there in 2008, the first date available...
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3914905,-74.5629103,3a,90y,316.28h,88.22t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spsf-HiMIektvJtUQStG70g!2e0!5s20081101T000000!7i3328!8i1664

Alps

I don't think so because you have the larger N in North. I don't think the NJHA is recent enough for that.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on September 30, 2021, 10:43:22 PM

I don't think so because you have the larger N in North. I don't think the NJHA is recent enough for that.

That was my thought too. But it is odd anyway... I didn't think either the NJHA or NJTA ever used backplates for parkway trailblazers (other than on construction signage), and this comes off a county road so I wouldn't expect it to be an NJDOT install (though they sure did love using backplates until a few years ago). I suppose it could be a county install, but its location on the ramp suggests otherwise.

storm2k

No that is for sure a Parkway install in the NJHA style, even though it was likely done after the NJTA merger. Don't forget that even though the NJTA and NJHA merged in 2003, the Parkway followed its own unique signage standards for well over a decade after that. The NJTA installing its newer mostly-MUTCD style signage on the Parkway only started in 2014-15 or so, even though some of the sections in the lane expansions south of Toms River also got newer signage sooner than that.

NJRoadfan

Its been up for awhile now, but NJTA has gone all California with this on ramp signage: https://goo.gl/maps/UqRdkMRbxLkfqcoC7

No room there for the traditional trapezoid entrance sign.

Also fresh imagery of the finished Central Ave. overpass: https://goo.gl/maps/7Cib4ACNBD1KVsbf7

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 01, 2021, 08:17:14 PM
Its been up for awhile now, but NJTA has gone all California with this on ramp signage: https://goo.gl/maps/UqRdkMRbxLkfqcoC7

No room there for the traditional trapezoid entrance sign.

Also fresh imagery of the finished Central Ave. overpass: https://goo.gl/maps/7Cib4ACNBD1KVsbf7

I drove down the other way past there tonight. There's still some work and lane shifts going on there. I'm guessing this is for them to have enough space NB to make the second exit only lane? The arrow for it is clearly covered over on the sign. Two full exit lanes there will really help with the traffic in that area.

NJRoadfan

Looks like the final configuration is in place northbound at Exit 145. Two full exit lanes and the median wall is finished.

SidS1045

It's for real.  I drove through there a few days ago.  They even have his name on the main building with a guitar done in neon behind the name.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.