News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Catch it if you can - US 55 sign at NB I-5 1st/4th St exit

Started by MarkF, November 10, 2015, 01:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkF

Last night while driving north on I-5 just north of CA 55, I briefly caught attention of what appears to a good quality cutout US 55 sign, used in construction signing on the 1st/4th St offramp.

The Ghostbuster

Could this be the first time US 55 has been signposted since 1934? Although back then, it existed from Davenport IA to Minneapolis MN.

andy3175

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

OCGuy81

Awesome! I'm going to be over that way today, and I'll see if I can get a picture.  Thanks, Mark!

MarkF

Turns out there are two US 55 signs:

Northbound I-5 exit ramp to 1st Street, Santa Ana

Southbound I-5 1st St exit

andy3175

For a Caltrans District (#12, which covers Orange County only) that has no active US routes, this is an interesting mistake to make. I do recall the late 90's-era US 241 guide sign (in lieu of California SR 241) that has since been replaced.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Quillz

I always find it strange how such glaring errors can be seen by x number of people and still approved.

oscar

Quote from: Quillz on November 22, 2015, 04:36:32 PM
I always find it strange how such glaring errors can be seen by x number of people and still approved.

It could be a contractor error for temporary detour signage, where nobody who'd know better had to approve it. And maybe the contractor had some leftover sign blanks from work on US 101 or US 395m or (more likely, since it's a 2di blank) US 6, US 50, or US 97.

However it happened, awesome to have it, while it lasts (probably destined for someone's garage, once the project is done and the detour signage is removed).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Milliontown

Quote from: oscar on November 22, 2015, 04:42:19 PM
Quote from: Quillz on November 22, 2015, 04:36:32 PM

It could be a contractor error for temporary detour signage, where nobody who'd know better had to approve it. And maybe the contractor had some leftover sign blanks from work on US 101 or US 395m or (more likely, since it's a 2di blank) US 6, US 50, or US 97.

Contractors are required to provide the detour signage.  Specs in the bid package include the shield type, and since the specs are boilerplate, I think this is a contractor error.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.