News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

60 years ago this week, the Interstate Highway System was born

Started by cpzilliacus, August 21, 2016, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

WMAZ Channel 13, Macon, Georgia: 60 years ago this week, the Interstate Highway System was born

QuoteAlthough its true genesis can be traced to a 1939 report to the US Congress, what we know of today as the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System began construction 60 years ago this week -- August 13, 1956 -- on a stretch of what was then US Highway 40, and is now Interstate 70, in St. Charles, Mo.

QuoteThe original Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 allowed for the construction of the first 37,000 miles of Interstate highways, with highways in Missouri and Kansas being the first shovel-ready projects to get underway. Other projects soon followed.

QuoteA sign overlooking the St. Charles construction project proclaimed, "This is the first project in the United States on which actual construction was started under provisions of the new Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

nexus73

All these years I thought Kansas had the first stretch since that was Eisenhower's home state.  Oh well, you learn something new every day!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

DevalDragon

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: DevalDragon on August 22, 2016, 03:56:13 PM
It's interesting you call Kansas Eisenhower's Home State, even though he was born in Texas.

Are you suggesting that people can't make a home in a state they weren't born in? That seems strange to me.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

briantroutman

Are any of those "Interstate - 50 Years"  signs still floating around out there? I haven't seen any evidence of the FHWA or state DOTs doing anything to mark the passing of the 60th anniversary.

texaskdog

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 22, 2016, 05:24:22 PM
Quote from: DevalDragon on August 22, 2016, 03:56:13 PM
It's interesting you call Kansas Eisenhower's Home State, even though he was born in Texas.

Are you suggesting that people can't make a home in a state they weren't born in? That seems strange to me.

Like how the Bushes are still "from Texas" and Hillary was "from New York".  It's not that easy sometimes.

DevalDragon

Illinois still has quite a few of them around. But they're the only state I can recall seeing them.

Quote from: briantroutman on August 22, 2016, 05:31:00 PM
Are any of those "Interstate - 50 Years"  signs still floating around out there? I haven't seen any evidence of the FHWA or state DOTs doing anything to mark the passing of the 60th anniversary.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.