The Gordie Howe Bridge International Road Meets (yes, plural), 2020 and 2022?

Started by brianreynolds, April 21, 2018, 02:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianreynolds

According to a Detroit News article earlier this week, 95% of the real estate has been acquired, and construction might begin yet this year.  Perhaps overly optimistic, but who knows?

I have not yet hosted a meet, but I would certainly do so for this project.  It occurs to me that two separate meets would be appropriate, one at the height of construction activity, another to celebrate the project completion and personally inspect the final product.

The timetable remains somewhat elusive, but the project itself has never been this certain.  I would like to encourage all Road Enthusiasts who do not yet have the necessary documents for border crossings to make the effort.  A passport is the gold standard, but an Enhanced Driver's License would also be sufficient.  There may be other options that I am not familiar with.

If 2020 is the right year, I hope the weekend of July 4 (on a Saturday) would be the right time.  It is a fun time to visit Detroit and Windsor.  They host a joint venture Freedom Festival (Canada Day is July 1st).  There is always a big fireworks display over the Detroit River.

If 2021 is the optimum time for construction, the calendar week would be even better.  Canada Day on Thursday, Independence day on Sunday.

Pencil these onto your social calendar, and be sure to get your international travel documents.

Max Rockatansky

Detroit is my home city, I'd be down for whatever regarding the city and I would be able to plan out pretty casually.

brianreynolds

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 21, 2018, 09:31:12 PM
Detroit is my home city, I'd be down for whatever regarding the city and I would be able to plan out pretty casually.

Thank you, this is excellent news.  I spent most of my first 22 years in Dearborn, and I know my way around the Detroit area c. 1975.  Yes, I've been back to visit, but not much.  My current location is 2.5-3.0 hours from the GHIB.  It will be good to have a partner who knows the contemporary terrain.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

A.J. Do you want to contact Brian and see if he wants to host this meet still?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kevinb1994

I'm also interested in this meet, provided (of course) it is still in the works for this year and (if possible) in 2022.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 15, 2019, 07:53:47 PM
A.J. Do you want to contact Brian and see if he wants to host this meet still?

Now that this thread has been bumped, I'm sure Brian will see this and he can chime in.  :spin:
-A.J. from Michigan

Red Roads

7/8

I'm definitely interested in this one. Let us know if 2020 is still on (July 4th sounds like a fun time to visit!) :) Has anyone else done an international road meet? I'm curious how smooth the border crossing experience would be.

cl94

Quote from: 7/8 on December 28, 2019, 09:22:20 AM
I'm definitely interested in this one. Let us know if 2020 is still on (July 4th sounds like a fun time to visit!) :) Has anyone else done an international road meet? I'm curious how smooth the border crossing experience would be.

I had no trouble crossing for the Toronto meet. I said something along the lines of "meeting up with friends in Toronto" when crossing at the Peace Bridge, but I also have NEXUS. I think most US attendees for the Montréal meet this year said something similar.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

oscar

Quote from: 7/8 on December 28, 2019, 09:22:20 AM

One possible complicating factor for part 2 of the meet (after the bridge is completed ~ 2022) would be if the meet tour includes a group crossing of the new bridge. That would be different from meet attendees making individual border crossings before and after the meet, where any border crossing delays would not affect the rest of the group.

This would not affect part 1 this year, and might end up as a non-issue in 2022 as well.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cl94

I see group border crossings being a nightmare even if people with similar status are grouped together (i.e. NEXUS holders in the same car so we don't get held up by the rest of you guys). CBP and CBSA probably won't like "seeing the new bridge" or similar as a reason for crossing.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

7/8

Quote from: cl94 on December 28, 2019, 02:15:45 PM
I see group border crossings being a nightmare even if people with similar status are grouped together (i.e. NEXUS holders in the same car so we don't get held up by the rest of you guys). CBP and CBSA probably won't like "seeing the new bridge" or similar as a reason for crossing.

I could've been clearer, but this was more what I'm concerned about.

Quote from: oscar on December 28, 2019, 01:58:49 PM
This would not affect part 1 this year, and might end up as a non-issue in 2022 as well.

How do you know only the second part is on both sides?

Duke87

The 2012 Port Huron/Sarnia meet handled this issue by slicing the meet into two mini-tours. People met for lunch on the US side, had a 90 minute tour on the US side, then parted ways. An hour or so later, another 90-120 minute tour began on the Canadian side. Some people only attended the US half or only attended the Canadian half, anyone attending both crossed the border on their own.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cl94

Quote from: Duke87 on December 29, 2019, 01:32:12 AM

The 2012 Port Huron/Sarnia meet handled this issue by slicing the meet into two mini-tours. People met for lunch on the US side, had a 90 minute tour on the US side, then parted ways. An hour or so later, another 90-120 minute tour began on the Canadian side. Some people only attended the US half or only attended the Canadian half, anyone attending both crossed the border on their own.

That may be the only real way to do it. You could probably slap people with NEXUS together if they share the same citizenship, but other than that...

Flint1979

I know my way around the Detroit area like the back of my hand. Especially the city of Detroit and the inner ring suburbs. I haven't done any meets on here but that sounds pretty fun. I am pretty familiar with the SW side of the city where the bridge is being built.

codyg1985

I may not be up for this year but I'm interested anyway. I'm definitely more interested in seeing the finished product.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

brianreynolds

Wow.  It has been many months since I last dropped in at AA Roads.  Today's visit was to catch up on news regarding A.J.'s Outer Banks meet in late April.

I went to the Gordie Howe Bridge website, and took note that the completion date is now estimated to be 2024.  That renders my original timeline as overly optimistic.

I think 2020 is too soon for Phase I, but late summer or fall of 2021 might be right. 

Have a look at https://www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com/en and tell me what you think.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.