News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 169 - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Started by UAN51, February 10, 2019, 03:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UAN51

Looks like MoDOT will be holding a meeting regarding their Environmental Study on the Buck O'Neil Bridge.

News release of meeting: https://www.modot.org/node/7411

They have some info on the study and a survey link on this site: https://www.modot.org/buck-oneil-environmental-study-online-public-meeting

jflick99

I'm very aware of the recent fuss over bumping dead topics, but I'm fairly certain that this is a relevant reason to revive this one.

MoDOT has released renderings of the chosen replacement of the current Buck O'Neil Bridge. This addresses the major issue of providing direct access to and from I-35, and therefore simplifying the Broadway/5th Street intersection.

https://twitter.com/MoDOT_KC/status/1364640868863528965

However, I have seen a number of people (including the mayor) complain about the lackluster aesthetics of the new bridge compared to the iconic structure it's replacing:

QuoteThe design drew criticism from Lucas on Twitter. He's grateful to see the project moving but said he wants to retain as much of the old bridge as possible.

"I love character,"  Anabella Davis said. "Old bridges look really cool. So hopefully it won't change that much."

Miller said the project's budget and height restrictions made that difficult.

"So close to the airport that there are height restrictions,"  Miller said. "So you couldn't build anything that's as tall as what's existing right now, the existing Buck O'Neil Bridge."

Work on the new bridge is expected to begin late summer. MoDOT hopes to have the new bridge completed by the end of 2024.

Miller said they've had several public input meeting over the last three years to talk about the design. Now, they're moving forward, only asking for input on future mural projects.
https://fox4kc.com/news/many-including-kansas-city-mayor-not-happy-with-new-design-of-buck-oneil-bridge/

So, since this is the design that has been finalized, what are your thoughts on this? Also, the link MoDOT tweeted hasn't been updated since 2/3, so if anyone has found more detailed renderings, drop them in here as well.

Scott5114

Quote from: jflick99 on February 25, 2021, 03:17:21 AM
I'm very aware of the recent fuss over bumping dead topics, but I'm fairly certain that this is a relevant reason to revive this one.

This sort of bump is the exact reason that thread bumps are not uniformly banned.  :nod:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jflick99 on February 25, 2021, 03:17:21 AM
However, I have seen a number of people (including the mayor) complain about the lackluster aesthetics of the new bridge compared to the iconic structure it's replacing:

QuoteThe design drew criticism from Lucas on Twitter. He's grateful to see the project moving but said he wants to retain as much of the old bridge as possible.

"I love character,"  Anabella Davis said. "Old bridges look really cool. So hopefully it won't change that much."

Miller said the project's budget and height restrictions made that difficult.

"So close to the airport that there are height restrictions,"  Miller said. "So you couldn't build anything that's as tall as what's existing right now, the existing Buck O'Neil Bridge."

Work on the new bridge is expected to begin late summer. MoDOT hopes to have the new bridge completed by the end of 2024.

Miller said they've had several public input meeting over the last three years to talk about the design. Now, they're moving forward, only asking for input on future mural projects.
https://fox4kc.com/news/many-including-kansas-city-mayor-not-happy-with-new-design-of-buck-oneil-bridge/

If they can't go higher, then at least do some cool lighting or something, maybe similar to the Main Street bridge in Jacksonville.  I agree that it looks functional but boring.

An an aside, the drive coming south on 169 into downtown is one of my favorite drives in the metro with pretty unimpeded views of the skyline.

Chris

skluth

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why are there bridge height restrictions because of the airport? The bridge and Downtown Airport runways are all essentially north-south with the runway approaches going over the bottom land west of downtown on I-70. Even a new bridge connecting directly south into I-35 west of downtown would run almost exactly parallel to the main runway with the shorter runway approach being even further west. It might require some creativity building access ramps to/from the viaduct over the West Bottoms to keep the ramp bridge height down, but the bridge height over the Missouri River shouldn't be an issue.

froggie

QuoteWhy are there bridge height restrictions because of the airport?

FAA-required clear zones and height restrictions fan out at an angle from the end of the runway.  They are not specifically parallel to the runway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.