The Fastest Freeway Commutes (Pre-COVID) in LA aren't where you'd expect them

Started by kernals12, March 13, 2021, 09:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on March 15, 2021, 03:00:55 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on March 15, 2021, 01:48:44 PM
The rest of the world seems to put "the" before their freeway numbers. I've watched enough Top Gear to know that

How the UK speaks is not the rest of the world.

I've watched enough British TV and movies to know UK slang is among the most grating in the English speaking world.  It was even the crux of a joke in Austin Powers Part 3.   

kernals12

kkt

The rest of the world seems to put "the" before their freeway numbers. I've watched enough Top Gear to know that

Funny, a former good friend of mine who grew up and lived at the Boston SE suburbs never put "the" before freeway names or numbers.  Take 24 to 128 to Mass Pike...

kernals12

Quote from: kkt on March 16, 2021, 11:28:20 AM

Funny, a former good friend of mine who grew up and lived at the Boston SE suburbs never put "the" before freeway names or numbers.  Take 24 to 128 to Mass Pike...
How's that funny? I thought not putting "the" was how everyone outside SoCal did it

GaryA

I can verify that traffic levels on I-405 south of I-10 during the morning rush hour were light back in 2008 or so.  I had to commute from Ventura County to Carson for a couple of weeks for a special project.

I would take PCH, I-10 east, and then I-405 south, and was amazed at how light the traffic was.  I assumed it was because much of the traffic was backed up in the Sepulveda Pass.

sparker

Quote from: GaryA on March 16, 2021, 02:00:55 PM
I can verify that traffic levels on I-405 south of I-10 during the morning rush hour were light back in 2008 or so.  I had to commute from Ventura County to Carson for a couple of weeks for a special project.

I would take PCH, I-10 east, and then I-405 south, and was amazed at how light the traffic was.  I assumed it was because much of the traffic was backed up in the Sepulveda Pass.

2008 would have been well after the aerospace industry clustered around LAX took a dive; otherwise, SB 405 from I-10 to about Rosecrans would have been packed like it was in the 1980's.  Also, a lot of SB I-405 traffic coming down from the pass simply turns east on I-10 toward L.A. "mid-town", unless they've already exited on Wilshire or Santa Monica boulevards. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.