AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Old vs new bridges  (Read 7734 times)

tolbs17

• Last Login: September 15, 2021, 09:32:34 PM
Re: Old vs new bridges
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2021, 11:29:09 PM »

These bridges do not match.

They were built almost 15 years apart...why do they need to match?
Talking about how the way they were built. They probably didn't even think they were going to extend the highway. The left barrier is taller compared to the right barrier.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 01:50:33 PM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2021, 09:12:58 AM »

Talking about how the way they were built. They probably didn't even think they were going to extend the highway. The left barrier is taller compared to the right barrier.

For someone who notices small differences in stuff (which you should come out and say in the initial post instead of us guessing), you miss the bigger pictures.

Yes, it is true the left barrier is taller than the right one.  If you check out older streetviews, you will notice the bridge has been widened and I believe they wanted the left barrier to be the same height as the new bridge's left barrier.  This actually supports your theory that they weren't 100% sure the road would get extended (though they definitely knew they wanted to, as it was signed as Future I-840 by 2002).

A much bigger difference in the two bridges can be seen from a different viewpoint - https://goo.gl/maps/cXaPpRpzSPtRjBbu7

tolbs17

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2021, 07:19:58 PM »

For someone who notices small differences in stuff (which you should come out and say in the initial post instead of us guessing), you miss the bigger pictures.

Yes, it is true the left barrier is taller than the right one.  If you check out older streetviews, you will notice the bridge has been widened and I believe they wanted the left barrier to be the same height as the new bridge's left barrier.  This actually supports your theory that they weren't 100% sure the road would get extended (though they definitely knew they wanted to, as it was signed as Future I-840 by 2002).

A much bigger difference in the two bridges can be seen from a different viewpoint - https://goo.gl/maps/cXaPpRpzSPtRjBbu7
I say it should have been built as a T intersection until an extension was put there or just make a wide bridge. Then it would look more handy. But it looks awkward.

kphoger

• Last Login: September 05, 2021, 06:26:16 PM
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2021, 05:10:46 PM »

But it looks awkward.

well we don't want that
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »

But it looks awkward.

well we don't want that
I mean like, how were they thinking when they were thinking about extending the highway...

dlsterner

• Last Login: Today at 12:35:25 AM
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2021, 07:02:10 PM »

If the poster is concerned about the above bridges not matching (they look almost identical to me), image the hysteria resulting from our mis-matched Bay Bridges across the Chesapeake:

And I would guess a third bridge (if ever built in our lifetimes) would be visually different as well.

tolbs17

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2021, 07:17:48 PM »

If the poster is concerned about the above bridges not matching (they look almost identical to me), image the hysteria resulting from our mis-matched Bay Bridges across the Chesapeake:

And I would guess a third bridge (if ever built in our lifetimes) would be visually different as well.
Compared to these, or even these?

Hell, even these do not match.

tolbs17

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2021, 11:10:24 PM »

When looking at these bridges, you may wonder why they are very high (I've seen some ones that are a little lower to carry trains), And the reason is cause of the low voltage lines and a nearby river next to a road.

Like hell, even these are lower.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 01:50:33 PM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2021, 06:25:01 AM »

When looking at these bridges, you may wonder why they are very high (I've seen some ones that are a little lower to carry trains), And the reason is cause of the low voltage lines and a nearby river next to a road.

The first bridge is that high because it crosses the Intracoastal Waterway.  Otherwise it would need to be a draw bridge.

The second bridge can be lower because trains are not as tall as sailboats.

kphoger

• Last Login: September 05, 2021, 06:26:16 PM
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »

The first bridge is that high because it crosses the Intracoastal Waterway.  Otherwise it would need to be a draw bridge.

The second bridge can be lower because trains are not as tall as sailboats.

If it were all about the power lines, then I'm sure it would have been a lot cheaper to just run them underground at that point or else construct taller towers and run them over both roads.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

snowc

• EPT Founder

• Last Login: Today at 02:21:12 PM
    • Visit the EPT site!
Do not assume, just ask. It's what we do. :colorful: :biggrin:

MCRoads

• Damn, I missed celebrating my 500th post. Oh well!

• Last Login: Today at 11:20:25 AM
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2021, 09:36:57 AM »

If a third bridge is built, what do you want to bet that it will be a precast box beam, with a cable stayed main span?
I hate those types of bridges, as they are used so much. But, they are used a lot because they are cheap.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
 4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*/80*/95/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.