ODOT: NEOH 2021 Construction Plans...

Started by thenetwork, April 08, 2021, 07:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

From Cleveland.com:  Here is a list of the major projects planned on area NE Ohio Roadways and the current statuses on the existing major projects.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021/04/odots-2021-construction-projects-in-northeast-ohio-see-where-orange-barrels-will-be-this-summer.html

The one that always gives me the giggles is the SR‐18 widening project between I-71 and the Medina City Limits. In effect, it's just a wider "funnel" with the same pinhole "spout" / choke point at Medina Hospital. 

The city of Medina has been so against improving travel THROUGH their town in order to preserve it's heritage.   

Back when I used to live there, it took nearly 15-20+ minutes to cross town due to limited bypass options, slow speed limits down single-lane roadways and multiple turns in the Public Square area if you were staying on the same route on either side of town.

They had a chance in the 60s, 70s and 80s to have a bona-fide multi-lane bypass around the town, but the NIMBYs opposed every option, and the town preferred building residential developments without leaving ROWs for a potential future bypass.

The only too-little, too-late solution they did was create A bypass via Foote Road and the new Reagan Parkway in the 90s.  Problem was same old Medina inadequate styles:  Single lane, 25-35 MPH roadways which pass through a major business district area (N. Court St. Area).

Medina is one of the few decent-sized Ohio cities (20k + population) without a decent way of getting through or around town.  I'm glad I moved out a long time ago..

zzcarp

Quote from: thenetwork on April 08, 2021, 07:47:05 PM
From Cleveland.com:  Here is a list of the major projects planned on area NE Ohio Roadways and the current statuses on the existing major projects.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021/04/odots-2021-construction-projects-in-northeast-ohio-see-where-orange-barrels-will-be-this-summer.html

The one that always gives me the giggles is the SR‐18 widening project between I-71 and the Medina City Limits. In effect, it's just a wider "funnel" with the same pinhole "spout" / choke point at Medina Hospital. 

The city of Medina has been so against improving travel THROUGH their town in order to preserve it's heritage.   

Back when I used to live there, it took nearly 15-20+ minutes to cross town due to limited bypass options, slow speed limits down single-lane roadways and multiple turns in the Public Square area if you were staying on the same route on either side of town.

They had a chance in the 60s, 70s and 80s to have a bona-fide multi-lane bypass around the town, but the NIMBYs opposed every option, and the town preferred building residential developments without leaving ROWs for a potential future bypass.

The only too-little, too-late solution they did was create A bypass via Foote Road and the new Reagan Parkway in the 90s.  Problem was same old Medina inadequate styles:  Single lane, 25-35 MPH roadways which pass through a major business district area (N. Court St. Area).

Medina is one of the few decent-sized Ohio cities (20k + population) without a decent way of getting through or around town.  I'm glad I moved out a long time ago..

I grew up west of Oberlin so we'd take OH 18 through Medina many times for field trips or other reasons to get to Akron and I remember the slow slog through town to the 4-lane section. It's certainly not the only small city in Ohio that is in need of a bypass, and it could certainly use it.

Also in the report is replacing the OH 113 and Baumhart Road traffic light in Lorain County with a roundabout. The traffic light was actuated from Baumhart Road and is one of the earliest instances I remember of a traffic-actuated light. I don't know if the roundabout will really improve safety, but I look forward to experiencing it when I head to NE Ohio for holidays.
So many miles and so many roads

sandwalk

A bit further west, ODOT will start construction of a roundabout at the US 20 / SR 601 intersection east of Norwalk this summer.  Like the Baumhart / SR 113 intersection, it has been plagued by numerous crashes over the years.  However, there is not enough traffic to warrant installing a traffic light.  The roundabout is a good idea here.

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odot/projects/projects/110357

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

thenetwork

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 26, 2021, 01:07:39 PM
And concerning the addition of more exits along NE Ohio freeways...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/noaca-ready-to-say-no-to-three-new-suburban-highway-interchanges-based-on-detailed-cost-benefit-analysis/ar-BB1fYjWu?rt=0&ocid=Win10NewsApp&item=flights%3Aprg-mobileappview

Surprised they want to pooh-pooh the I‐71/SR-57 exit.  Any additional I-71 exit for Medina would help take some of the traffic off of SR-3 and SR-18.   Plus that would make a great alternative to Wadsworth from the north.

mvak36

Quote from: thenetwork on April 26, 2021, 07:49:25 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 26, 2021, 01:07:39 PM
And concerning the addition of more exits along NE Ohio freeways...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/noaca-ready-to-say-no-to-three-new-suburban-highway-interchanges-based-on-detailed-cost-benefit-analysis/ar-BB1fYjWu?rt=0&ocid=Win10NewsApp&item=flights%3Aprg-mobileappview

Surprised they want to pooh-pooh the I‐71/SR-57 exit.  Any additional I-71 exit for Medina would help take some of the traffic off of SR-3 and SR-18.   Plus that would make a great alternative to Wadsworth from the north.

I was wondering about that too. It seems like a good place for an exit. Not sure if there was a lot of public opposition to that interchange.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Buck87

Quote from: sandwalk on April 14, 2021, 04:05:46 PM
A bit further west, ODOT will start construction of a roundabout at the US 20 / SR 601 intersection east of Norwalk this summer.  Like the Baumhart / SR 113 intersection, it has been plagued by numerous crashes over the years.  However, there is not enough traffic to warrant installing a traffic light.  The roundabout is a good idea here.

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odot/projects/projects/110357
I bet the R+L Carriers distribution facility about a mile south of there is just thrilled about this...

LM-Q620

sandwalk

Quote from: Buck87 on April 27, 2021, 12:11:11 PM
Quote from: sandwalk on April 14, 2021, 04:05:46 PM

I bet the R+L Carriers distribution facility about a mile south of there is just thrilled about this...

LM-Q620

Eh....if they employ competent drivers, it shouldn't be an issue.  Plus, the semi trucks won't have to stop and wait for 55mph cross traffic at that intersection anymore.

Buck87

Quote from: sandwalk on May 05, 2021, 02:13:47 PM
Eh....if they employ competent drivers, it shouldn't be an issue.  Plus, the semi trucks won't have to stop and wait for 55mph cross traffic at that intersection anymore.

Yeah, I was operating under the assumption that truckers don't like roundabouts. Though after reading some comments about this project in a local paper I saw some anecdotal evidence that a lot of truckers actually prefer them, as long as the turning radius is adequate. Definitely makes sense from a free flow vs. stop and start perspective. 

skluth

Quote from: Buck87 on May 06, 2021, 12:17:19 PM

Yeah, I was operating under the assumption that truckers don't like roundabouts. Though after reading some comments about this project in a local paper I saw some anecdotal evidence that a lot of truckers actually prefer them, as long as the turning radius is adequate. Definitely makes sense from a free flow vs. stop and start perspective.

I've always been a fan of the giant roundabouts incorporated into interchanges like this and this. I was a passenger on a tour bus to Gibraltar in the second; the bus driver has no problems driving the this at the same speed as the cars in front. It's not much different than driving this traffic circle on the George Washington Parkway.

Rothman

Quote from: skluth on May 07, 2021, 12:12:51 AM

I've always been a fan of the giant roundabouts incorporated into interchanges like this and this. I was a passenger on a tour bus to Gibraltar in the second; the bus driver has no problems driving the this at the same speed as the cars in front. It's not much different than driving this traffic circle on the George Washington Parkway.
That circle isn't on the Parkway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on May 07, 2021, 07:18:36 AM
Quote from: skluth on May 07, 2021, 12:12:51 AM

That circle isn't on the Parkway.
That's true. It's a circle on the ramps going to the Parkway, connecting traffic from DC over the bridge along with traffic from the cemetery, Arlington Blvd, and Washington Blvd. None of the European roundabouts linked are on the highways they serve either. The Arlington link just so happens to show the circle is in a widened median rather than the highway crossing over or under the roundabout. That's the point. Traffic on the main artery continues happily or exits to one giant roundabout rather than going through two smaller roundabouts on either side of the highway as found in most freeway ramp entrances like this and this and this. IMO, the Green Bay interchanges could be better served a large roundabout at WI 29/ Packerland Dr/ Cardinal Ln and another at I-41/Shawano Av while leaving the Shawano Av/Duck Creek Parkway roundabout as is. The second time I used this maze, exiting NB I-41 at Shawano to visit my brother living west of Pamperin Park, it was during a downpour with poor visibility and I missed my exit off one of the six roundabouts I crossed in less than a mile just to reach CTH RK.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.