News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New signs on I-8 in Arizona - Series F?

Started by machias, August 01, 2021, 09:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

I recently drove I-8 in Arizona and I noticed most of the guide signs had recently been replaced in Pinal County. I know ADOT has been using Series E Enhanced Modified, but a few of these signs look like they may have been fabricated using Series F.  Does anyone know?

Sample here.

And here's a sample of Series E Enhanced Modified on I-10

Scott5114

Sure looks like Series F to me. J.N. Winkler might be able to confirm if he has the plans for that one handy (but then again, if it's only a few panels, it could be a contractor/fabrication error).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

This is my first time seeing Series F. But now I'm wondering, on the other side of the spectrum, how skinny is Series A?

Scott5114

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 01, 2021, 11:37:01 PM
This is my first time seeing Series F. But now I'm wondering, on the other side of the spectrum, how skinny is Series A?

JoePCool14

Quote from: machias on August 01, 2021, 09:13:42 PM

I'm not sure I'd call that Series F. Series F has a very distinct, wide look to it. This looks more like Series E that's been manipulated like crazy and also has poor kerning, a common problem on newer ADOT signs.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 02, 2021, 08:01:11 AM
I'm not sure I'd call that Series F. Series F has a very distinct, wide look to it. This looks more like Series E that's been manipulated like crazy and also has poor kerning, a common problem on newer ADOT signs.

You should call it Series F because that's what it is.

Henry

I agree, it's Series F, the ugliest of the FHWA fonts (IMHO). EEM looks way better than this.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadfro

Has series F ever been used in any kind of regularity? Do any standard signs use it (other than, maybe, the numbers on a speed limit sign)? Have any agencies specified F regularly on guide signs or other non-standard signage?
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Big John

^^ The numbers in the state highway shields on NY BGS's?

Scott5114

Quote from: roadfro on August 02, 2021, 10:36:21 PM
Has series F ever been used in any kind of regularity? Do any standard signs use it (other than, maybe, the numbers on a speed limit sign)? Have any agencies specified F regularly on guide signs or other non-standard signage?

There are a few regulatory signs that specify it, but they're all fairly uncommon ones–the "LOOK ←→" sign, "Maintain Top Safe Speed (because this area is radioactive)", etc.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 01, 2021, 09:51:19 PMSure looks like Series F to me. J.N. Winkler might be able to confirm if he has the plans for that one handy (but then again, if it's only a few panels, it could be a contractor/fabrication error).

I think these are fabrication errors.  I did a little digging and discovered these signs were installed as part of TRACS H855701C, an I-8 sign replacement that was advertised around January 2018 and finaled out on October 25, 2018.  As it happens, I have not only the as-lets, but also draft plans from 2013 (in Clearview) and, now, the as-builts downloaded from ROAD.  The as-lets and as-builts both call for Enhanced E Modified and, where sign fabrication is concerned, there do not seem to have been any change orders (in other words, the sign panel detail sheets in the as-builts are identical to the as-lets).

Quote from: roadfro on August 02, 2021, 10:36:21 PMHas series F ever been used in any kind of regularity? Do any standard signs use it (other than, maybe, the numbers on a speed limit sign)? Have any agencies specified F regularly on guide signs or other non-standard signage?

Yes and yes.  In addition to the examples others have mentioned, Caltrans' old spec for the two-line "Wrong Way" sign used Series F rather than Series D, and word "Nebraska" in the independent-mount Nebraska state route marker is also in Series F.

I think Oklahoma DOT may even have dabbled with mixed-case Series F on freeway guide signs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 03, 2021, 01:28:27 AM
I think Oklahoma DOT may even have dabbled with mixed-case Series F on freeway guide signs.

Oh, of course, how could I have forgotten: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4570443,-97.4905619,3a,15y,16.08h,90.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sM7rHRLRnRDZa5agZfyR_mw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 (which also shows dabbling in Clearview, Series D, and Series E, all on the same panel–gotta love ODOT!)

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 02, 2021, 11:55:22 PM
Quote from: roadfro on August 02, 2021, 10:36:21 PM

There are a few regulatory signs that specify it, but they're all fairly uncommon ones–the "LOOK ←→" sign, "Maintain Top Safe Speed (because this area is radioactive)", etc.

The old Night Speed Limit sign also uses Series F for the text, but not the numerals.

Also, yes, you are all probably right about the OP being Series F.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.