News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

'Hidden' Trunk 30.....The Cabot Trail

Started by ghYHZ, August 03, 2021, 09:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Trunk 30 is an internal number used by Nova Scotia TIR (Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal)  I've never seen it signed as such like the other Trunk Highways......but always with the Cabot Trail shield.

The Cabot Trail loops 298 km (185 mi) through northern Cape Breton Island and the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. It junctions with  Trans Canada Highway 105 near Baddeck and South Haven.

https://goo.gl/maps/xkNAPxYWDk18YbCB7

Time for a short Staycation.......and a trip over the Trail with some camping and hiking in the Highlands.

Hiking along the 'Skyline Trail'....and looking across to the Cabot Trail as it climbs French Mountain.

The Parks Canada 'Beaver Shield' embedded into the bridge at Black Brook.

I returned home on TCH105 via Baddeck.

The Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site and Museum at Baddeck has exhibits including replicas of the 'Silver Dart' flown from Baddeck Bay in 1909 and Bell's experimentation with 'HD-4 Hydrofoil' on the Bras d'Or Lakes. Bell is buried nearby at his 'Beinn Bhreagh Estate'

JayhawkCO

Great pics!  Excited to be going there in October (Delta willing).

Chris

1995hoo

That's one of my favorite roads. Ms1995hoo and I were kicking around the idea of a golf trip to Cape Breton Island and New Brunswick sometime in the next few years. We previously visited the Keltic Lodge, and played the Highlands Links, in 2008 and we would stop there again; I know there is also another new golf resort near Inverness that would be on our itinerary as well. It's feasible to reach Inverness from our house with two days' driving, though admittedly they'd be long days that wouldn't allow for much in the way of side trips (and I want to detour to the covered bridge in Hartland if we make that drive).

If we make the trip, I need to go over to my mom's house and dig around through old pictures to look at the ones from our August 1982 family vacation that included the Cabot Trail. It would be interesting to see how much, or how little, some places have changed in 40 years. I recall on our 2008 trip some places in Nova Scotia (notably Church Point) looked unchanged.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ghYHZ

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 03, 2021, 09:49:13 AM
That's one of my favorite roads. Ms1995hoo and I were kicking around the idea of a golf trip to Cape Breton Island and New Brunswick sometime in the next few years. We previously visited the Keltic Lodge, and played the Highlands Links, in 2008 and we would stop there again; I know there is also another new golf resort near Inverness that would be on our itinerary as well.......

That would be Cabot Links

https://cabotcapebreton.com/

.....and just up the coast Cabot Cliffs

https://golfcapebreton.com/golf-courses/cabot-cliffs/

A round can be on the expensive side but with the pandemic and others not jetting in......they've had some pretty good deals for us locals :)

1995hoo

Quote from: ghYHZ on August 03, 2021, 10:13:23 AM

A round can be on the expensive side but with the pandemic and others not jetting in......they've had some pretty good deals for us locals :)

Heh, well, it's approximately 1230 miles to Cabot Links from our house via the Houlton border crossing. If I'm going to drive that distance to play golf, the greens fee isn't going to be the uppermost consideration in my mind. If we do that trip, we'll go via Houlton in one direction (primarily because I want to nip off the northern end of I-95 and NB-95) and we'll go via Calais in the other direction to allow for stopping in St. Andrews, NB, where there is another nice golf course.

Last time we were in Nova Scotia we took the Cat Ferry roundtrip from Portland, but that doesn't make sense for a trip focused on Cape Breton Island. I believe the ferry will run from Bar Harbor next year, too, based on what I read. Portland was ideal for us because it's an easy day's drive from home–we reach that area around 6:00 PM, which allows time for a decent relaxed dinner. Bar Harbor is just a bit too far for us to push in a single day.

ghYHZ

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 03, 2021, 10:42:53 AM
.......and we'll go via Calais in the other direction to allow for stopping in St. Andrews, NB, where there is another nice golf course.

If driving back along the New Brunswick coast.....take the new Fundy Trail Parkway (toll) The final link connecting with Fundy National Park will open late this year. (and you can golf at Fundy Park too!) 

https://fundytrailparkway.com

Map:

https://fundytrailparkway.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/GATE-BROCHURE-ENG-WWW.pdf

froggie

There's some sort of music festival on Cape Breton that my wife would love to get to sometime.

1995hoo

Incidentally, ghYHZ, have you ever driven the Fleur-de-Lis Trail around the southeastern part of Cape Breton Island? That's the most significant chunk of the island I have not seen, though it appears from Google Maps that there isn't much to see there, and I also recall in 2008 the proprietor of the Louisbourg Harbour Inn said that road is one of the single worst roads in the entire province.

On that trip we went up the east side of Bras d'Or Lake to Sydney and Glace Bay, visited the Marconi historic site, then went to Louisbourg (Ms1995hoo had never been there), and then headed back to the Cabot Trail. The three central parts of that trip were the Fortress of Louisbourg, the Keltic Lodge, and an overnight at the Glenora Distillery.

ghYHZ

Quote from: froggie on August 04, 2021, 09:29:14 AM
There's some sort of music festival on Cape Breton that my wife would love to get to sometime.

That would be Celtic Colours each Fall and really the best time to visit Cape Breton for it's Scottish, Acadian and First Nation music and culture.

https://celtic-colours.com/

And some good Cape Breton Road Trip videos here:

https://celtic-colours.com/road-trip/

ghYHZ

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 04, 2021, 09:53:01 AM
Incidentally, ghYHZ, have you ever driven the Fleur-de-Lis Trail around the southeastern part of Cape Breton Island? That's the most significant chunk of the island I have not seen, though it appears from Google Maps that there isn't much to see there, and I also recall in 2008 the proprietor of the Louisbourg Harbour Inn said that road is one of the single worst roads in the entire province.

On that trip we went up the east side of Bras d'Or Lake to Sydney and Glace Bay, visited the Marconi historic site, then went to Louisbourg (Ms1995hoo had never been there), and then headed back to the Cabot Trail. The three central parts of that trip were the Fortress of Louisbourg, the Keltic Lodge, and an overnight at the Glenora Distillery.

You have toured Cape Breton!!

I've done the Fleur-de-lis Trail and yes it was in poor shape the last time. I'm planning a trip to the Fortress later this summer.....so I'll check it out. There's been a long-term plan to fill-in the missing link from French Road to Louisbourg along the coast that would give another access to the Fortifications.   

https://goo.gl/maps/YoYdkbtzQ5yhgC2P9

yakra

Quote from: ghYHZ on August 04, 2021, 11:27:33 AM
There's been a long-term plan to fill-in the missing link from French Road to Louisbourg along the coast that would give another access to the Fortifications.
Was that a provincial route many decades ago, later abandoned?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

ghYHZ

Quote from: yakra on August 06, 2021, 11:18:09 AM
Quote from: ghYHZ on August 04, 2021, 11:27:33 AM
There's been a long-term plan to fill-in the missing link from French Road to Louisbourg along the coast that would give another access to the Fortifications.
Was that a provincial route many decades ago, later abandoned?

There's woods roads on each end and you can get as far as Kennington Cove from the Fortress. You might have been able to get all the way through at one time but the centre section is not much more than an ATV trail now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.