News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"The Simple Genius of the Interstate System" by Wendover Productions

Started by JoePCool14, August 11, 2021, 08:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

For those who don't spend hours per day on YouTube, creator Wendover Productions, with just over 3 million subscribers, dropped this video earlier today, talking about Interstates.

He touched on lots of different topics, from the origins, to some of the construction standards, to the economic impacts, and even how they went through poor neighborhoods which I'm sure we all love talking about.

Wendover also uploaded a 4½ minute video which is on a paid service (you can get a free trial if you want to see it) where he talked about weird sections of the Interstate system: Breezewood, I-180 in Wyoming, the former I-170 in Baltimore, and surprisingly I-180 in Illinois. :spin:

Anyway, I just thought I would share this and see what everyone thinks. It was a video in his usual style, which isn't really my favorite, but when he covers a topic I love, like this or Formula 1, they're cool to watch, if nothing else but for the increased publicity and "crossover" with a popular YouTuber.

Also, maybe he made a mistake or two that we can correct for him. I'm not saying there are any, but you never know.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

thspfc

Wendover Productions is really good, one of those channels that you can spend hours at a time watching.

However, he must be incorrect on the 7% maximum grade law, as according to the foremost source on steep roads (a.k.a. Illinois resident Crash_It), every road in Illinois is extremely steep and therefore Illinois should not have so many Interstate highways.

Actually though, I didn't know that the 7% rule exists until watching this video. Surprising that I-70 in Colorado doesn't break that rule somewhere. This is the place that I thought of: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7426877,-105.433019,3a,53.5y,344.2h,87.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDCwneH_8RdJfJnItxD2GEg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A sign a little ways uphill says it's only 6% though.

JoePCool14

Speaking of Colorado and I-70, it was amusing to hear him speak about and use B-roll footage of I-70 through Glenwood Canyon considering the ongoing closure.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.