News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Speed Kills Your Pocketbook

Started by SafeSpeeder, August 21, 2021, 11:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SafeSpeeder

Anyone who still believes that speed limits higher than 55 mph are dangerous and increase accidents, need to watch these two videos:

"Speed Kills Your Pocketbook"

"Speed kills Your pocketbook 2 - Lying With Statistics"

Distracted, Drowsy, and Drunk Driving, Kills. Speed, by itself, does not. Note: These are probably the only two youtube videos with worthy content!

hotdogPi

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 11:28:59 AM
Anyone who still believes that speed limits higher than 55 mph are dangerous and increase accidents

This is a minority view on this forum. Most of us are aware that it's not true.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

Are 55 MPH speed limit advocates even a thing anymore?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 11:45:20 AM
"Mothers Against Drunk Driving" are against any speed limit increases anywhere, and their slogan is an example of my point.

Citation on that mission statement?   Also, when the was time MADD was a relevant talking point organization?  The last time I recall encountering anyone from that advocacy group was around the turn of the century?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 12:02:47 PM
National Highway Safety Administration also, but the thing is even if the advocates don't care or exist anymore, those 55 mph speed limits have hardly been raised, and even the higher speed limits will drop again when you are within 50 miles of a city. I read that some senator in CA drafted a bill to add speed limitless lanes on I-5 and route 99, but odds of that ever happening in a state like CA are as low as you spontaneously quantum tunneling to another universe.

Again, do you have a citation that NHSTA is actively advocating 55 MPH speed limits?  I kind of get the feeling you're complaining about a problem that doesn't broadly exist anymore.  If you told me that individual states like Oregon (or even specific cities) could use a speed limit hike then I could see where you were trying to go with this thread. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 12:22:06 PM
All interstate designated highways should not have a speed limit. All expressways and parkways should range from 65 mph to 100 mph. People already drive whatever speed they feel comfortable at, whether it's 20 mph above or below the speed limit. My top speed ever driving was 121 mph and it did not feel fast at all. I'm not saying speeds that high are necessarily safe, but the average driver can correctly judge what speeds are reasonable for a given roadway.

But it would also be fair to say that to achieve unrestricted speed limits in rural setting (even on  Autobahns this isn't a thing in congested urban areas) that driver training would need to improve and getting a license would require a higher standard.  I don't think there is enough to political will to institute such measures in any state.  More so, the driving populace on the whole likely isn't willing to accept a higher barrier of entry to being allowed onto limited access highways. 

The fastest I've ever been on a public road was 138 MPH.  Given it was on a remote stretch of road in the Mojave Desert I felt somewhat assured that I was only endangering myself (it was a two lane mountain grade).  I don't think that I would be comfortable with the average driver with a car maintained at a likely subpar level driving those speeds on any public highway.

Rothman

"Mothers Against Drunk Driving" are against any speed limit increases anywhere, and their slogan is an example of my point.
So...you advocate for drunk driving.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 12:39:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 21, 2021, 12:38:28 PM
So...you advocate for drunk driving.

No, I meant their name is focusing on drunk driving, as they should, not blaming speed limits on everything.

But that's why I asked for a citation that they have a blanket policy against any speed limit increase anywhere.  That seemed like a loaded statement that needed an extra burden of proof to prove it is actually their stance.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 12:46:55 PM
It is just that any story I have ever read about raising 55 mph speed limits on wide open highways, they are always mentioned as lobbying against it. And if they are against raising speed limits from 55, then there is no possibility of them supporting even higher ones, logic.

No, that's not logical because you're not actually providing an example of what you're reading.  Why would you think it is logical that we would believe that MADD has a universal and all encompassing stance against increasing "any"  speed limit?  Your reasoning that you read a couple times MADD was against 55 MPH zone increases doesn't make your assertion true.   Rather, that sounds more like an assumption on your part that you have no evidence to back up. 

hotdogPi

Where are you referring to? US 3 in northeastern Massachusetts is currently 55 and should be 65. I've spoken in person to some people at MassDOT, and the police are preventing it from happening.

On the other hand, I can't think of anyone at all who would say that I-94 in Montana should be reduced to 55.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 12:58:51 PM
Are you a member of MADD?

No, I'm just not a fan of empty statements that don't have any substance.  Especially when I eluded to an actual problem like certain states legislatively setting speed limits rather allowing engineers to do so.  That Oregon example I gave you was an easy layup you could have ran with and one we've discussed on this forum before.  I don't see what the point in blaming groups like MADD when there is no real evidence to show that they are a global hinderance to logical speed increases. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 01:13:41 PM
MADD lobbied against the raise of the national 55 mph speed limit, even when it was just increased to 65 mph. I agree that states shouldn't be able to legislate speed limits, they should be set by traffic engineers/appropriate transportation departments. Speed studies should also be conducted more frequently (as low as once every 8 years in some states) to determine the 85th percentile speeds. I'm not saying they are the main culprits of slow speed limits, that's just the first that came to mind from remembering something I had read about the national maximum 55 mph speed limit, forgot where specifically I read it.

Okay, but how long ago was the National 55 MPH mandate?  Suffice to say that's really old news by this point. 

I mean don't get me wrong, I can think of a whole bunch of two lane California State Highways that have legislatively mandated 55 MPH speed limits that can easily handle 60-65 MPH.  For the most part people drive those speeds anyways and CHP tends to look the other way unless someone is doing something additional on top of it.

Max Rockatansky

I'll probably be sticking to stuff like Roadwaywiz for my road video needs.  I like hearing from people in the hobby and the actual history with the highways that get featured. 

skluth

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 01:13:41 PM
MADD lobbied against the raise of the national 55 mph speed limit, even when it was just increased to 65 mph. I agree that states shouldn't be able to legislate speed limits, they should be set by traffic engineers/appropriate transportation departments. Speed studies should also be conducted more frequently (as low as once every 8 years in some states) to determine the 85th percentile speeds. I'm not saying they are the main culprits of slow speed limits, that's just the first that came to mind from remembering something I had read about the national maximum 55 mph speed limit years ago, forgot where specifically I read it, you may be right, can we move on from that?

Along with this being decades ago, you still have provided zero evidence that MADD has actually lobbied against the 65 mph speed limit. I googled "madd lobbying speed limits" and found nothing to back your claim. It looks more like you have a personal vendetta and are making up lies rather than bothering with anything resembling proof.

Then again, I doubt your moniker claiming you're "safe" in the first place.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 21, 2021, 11:55:08 AM

Also, when the was time MADD was a relevant talking point organization?  The last time I recall encountering anyone from that advocacy group was around the turn of the century?

Right around the same time I was going through the motions in DARE class.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 02:46:10 PM
I think even Wikipedia mentions it. I have a perfect driving record  despite hitting 120+ mph on 2 highways and over 100 on 17 different highways. And the only reason my top speed is 121 mph is because my car tops out at that speed. Could have gone faster in those road conditions at the time. Will not reveal where or when though as not to fully incriminate myself!

The example I gave was on the Oatman Highway a decade ago.  I doubt Mohave County Sheriff is going to care what someone did on a poorly maintained segment of former US 66 in a Camaro that far back.

Rothman

Some low key trolling going on here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on August 21, 2021, 02:55:23 PM

This is no different from some of what agentsteel53 said.
Clinched, plus MA 286

SkyPesos

Nah, I already know what I'll say to people that think a 55 mph speed limit on all of I-465 is perfect.

Max Rockatansky

I'm always on the look out for the next Cra_shIt.  If a video sounds too sensationalized then it probably is another troll or someone looking to monetize their channel.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 21, 2021, 03:20:32 PM

I'm always on the look out for the next Cra_shIt.  If a video sounds too sensationalized then it probably is another troll or someone looking to monetize their channel.

I've watched the first of the two videos (years ago). It's actually quite good.

jakeroot (not a troll), 2019:
Quote from: jakeroot on November 18, 2019, 06:15:10 PM
Speed Kills Your Pocketbook 2 has been rolled out by Chris Thompson, creator of the original SKYP video. It looks at several of the issues above, and addresses several new very important issues, such as mobile phone usage (which has been on the crack-down in BC like I've not seen anywhere else). He, and SenseBC, certainly seem to be onto something with their research. I can only hope that this second version gets as much press as the first version:

https://youtu.be/amS2sqZNOas
Clinched, plus MA 286

TheHighwayMan3561

MnDOT has been steadily eliminating swaths of urban 55s on freeways in the Twin Cities area.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on August 21, 2021, 03:26:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 21, 2021, 03:20:32 PM

I've watched the first of the two videos (years ago). It's actually quite good.

jakeroot (not a troll), 2019:
Quote from: jakeroot on November 18, 2019, 06:15:10 PM
Speed Kills Your Pocketbook 2 has been rolled out by Chris Thompson, creator of the original SKYP video. It looks at several of the issues above, and addresses several new very important issues, such as mobile phone usage (which has been on the crack-down in BC like I've not seen anywhere else). He, and SenseBC, certainly seem to be onto something with their research. I can only hope that this second version gets as much press as the first version:

https://youtu.be/amS2sqZNOas

Good to know, appreciate the feedback from someone established in the community.  I might put it on my evening drive home watch list.

NE2

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 21, 2021, 01:51:39 PM
Even for people who support higher speed limits, the two videos in the OP are beyond genius. Those are what I call effort!

You seem very inve$ted in getting ¢licks. I wonder why?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.