News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

How Many 2dis Have You Clinched on Only One Trip?

Started by JayhawkCO, August 26, 2021, 06:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Of the six 2dis I've clinched:

I-14: straight shot, only stopping for food in Killeen
I-16: straight shot, only stopping once for gas and a quick detour to grab Wilkinson County
I-22: more or less a straight shot over two days, with a night spent in Tupelo and a little driving around there as a result
I-24: more or less a straight shot over two days, spending a night in Nashville and driving around there a bit
I-82: clinched once in each direction, straight shot each way - in fact, I don't think I ever got out of the car when we drove it eastbound
I-86 western: got this on a clinching daytrip to southeast Idaho, so I clinched the whole thing in the span of a day but did a bunch of side stuff along the way and in between different parts (does that count?)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 89 on August 27, 2021, 10:53:19 AM
(does that count?)

Yep.  You can get off the road and do whatever you want to do for the purposes of this thread.  You just have to get back on the road at the same place (I'll even allow one exit over  :sombrero:).

My clinch of I-A4 is this way, since we drove up the Denali Highway a little way but turned around and re-entered the road at the same point I left it.

Chris

wanderer2575

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 27, 2021, 09:17:43 AM
I-68 (at least a couple times)
I-76 western
I-96

I forgot:  Also I-H1, I-H2, and I-H3.

formulanone

Nothing impressive: I-4, I-88 (NY), I-96, I-97, also what was Not Yet I-2 and I-14.

Missed I-99 by picking up the first mile to the first exit a few days before, then the rest in one shot.

sparker

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 27, 2021, 08:41:38 AM
Your interpretation is correct.  Not most interstates in one trip, merely which interstates have been driven from end to end in a single trip without draconian limitations.

Chris

In that case, the ones cited in my previous post still stand by this criteria.  But other trips yielded the following:
1.  I-88/western section (1989)
2.  I-86/western section (1989)
3.  I-68 (1992)
4.  I-76/western section (2003)

Bruce

None, since it would be a waste.

I've only clinched one 2di (I-82) and it would've been a shame to not stop in Yakima or divert to the winery tour route on old US 410.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on August 27, 2021, 01:54:48 PM

Ah, it's nice to hear such a refreshing opinion about clinching!  Indeed, there's so much more to travel than just the pavement under your wheels.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2021, 02:01:10 PM

Ah, it's nice to hear such a refreshing opinion about clinching!  Indeed, there's so much more to travel than just the pavement under your wheels.

Clinching is a fun bonus between visiting small towns and scenic views on the highway, for me. I won't waste too much time with trying to get 100% completion of a highway, but if the opportunity is there I'll take it.

JayhawkCO

Sometimes you have to get somewhere quickly and wouldn't mind seeing some new country on the way.  I get interstates aren't the most scenic roads by and large, but they're still important and that's why some of us track them.

Chris

hbelkins

My list...

I-12 (before and after a meet at Slidell years ago)
I-30 (on the way to a meet in the DFW area)
I-59 (on the way to the aforementioned meet at Slidell)
I-66 (returning home from a conference in DC, I got on 66 in DC, and made it a point to exit at the Key Bridge westbound and loop around so I could circle back for the complete clinch)
I-68 (several times)
I-72 (returning from a meet in Kansas)
I-88 NY (tried to clinch it on the way to a meet in Watertown, but couldn't because of flooding; finally got a clinch of it returning from a meet in Bennington)
I-93 (this was an intentional clinch for the sake of clinching, as I was in that area and had a county-collecting and route-clinching journey mapped out)
I-97 (can't remember the circumstances behind that)
I-99 PA (more than once, on my way to various meets)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

I-27–which might be the only 2di I've clinched at all.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

I-H1, I-H2, I-H3 and I-11 (current alignment) are the 2di's I clinched.

sparker

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 27, 2021, 02:23:58 PM

Sometimes you have to get somewhere quickly and wouldn't mind seeing some new country on the way.  I get interstates aren't the most scenic roads by and large, but they're still important and that's why some of us track them.

Chris

Most of my single-swipe clinches are either short or traversing territory with few points of interest (at least to me or whomever is sharing the vehicle); if there's something out there that calls for a detour, it tends to get visited.  The poster child for this is I-12 -- there's no chance I'm going to miss NOLA for lunch or dinner, so that Interstate has been barely driven upon, much less clinched! 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: sparker on August 27, 2021, 04:34:27 PM

Chris

Most of my single-swipe clinches are either short or traversing territory with few points of interest (at least to me or whomever is sharing the vehicle); if there's something out there that calls for a detour, it tends to get visited.  The poster child for this is I-12 -- there's no chance I'm going to miss NOLA for lunch or dinner, so that Interstate has been barely driven upon, much less clinched!

I only took I-12 last time I was through there just because I have been to New Orleans five times.  Might as well see something else, right?

Chris

sprjus4

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2021, 03:27:09 PM
Have you ever made it down I-37 yet?

sparker

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 27, 2021, 04:38:14 PM
Quote from: sparker on August 27, 2021, 04:34:27 PM

Chris

I only took I-12 last time I was through there just because I have been to New Orleans five times.  Might as well see something else, right?

Chris

I've always tended to time my trips so I'm in NO for either lunch or dinner; within 50 miles of town the only thing I want to see is a plate of blackened redfish or snapper with a side of dirty rice! 

kphoger

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 27, 2021, 04:41:12 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2021, 03:27:09 PM

Have you ever made it down I-37 yet?

Maybe when I was in fourth grade on family vacation...?
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: sparker on August 27, 2021, 04:48:42 PM
I've always tended to time my trips so I'm in NO for either lunch or dinner; within 50 miles of town the only thing I want to see is a plate of blackened redfish or snapper with a side of dirty rice!

I mean, if you don't need a big name place, all of Louisiana has great food.  Doesn't have to be right on I-10 to find it.  :nod:

Chris

sparker

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 27, 2021, 05:09:16 PM
Quote from: sparker on August 27, 2021, 04:48:42 PM

I mean, if you don't need a big name place, all of Louisiana has great food.  Doesn't have to be right on I-10 to find it.  :nod:

Chris

Nah -- pretty much every place I've found to have what I'd consider to be decent food definitely isn't right on I-10!  But the concentration in NOLA is such that there are streets one can, for all intents and purposes, walk down blindfolded and randomly walk into an outstanding eatery.  That being said, I've had memorable meals in Shreveport, Slidell, Lafayette as well as metro NO.  And the only "big name" place I've frequented that's gotten publicity and reviews is K-Paul's (the original Paul Prudhomme establishment) -- most everything else could be classified as a "hole in the wall" -- but with exceptional cuisine!  Being a practicing omnivore (although I can't eat shellfish for medical reasons) helps! 

7/8

I've clinched the original I-69 (Port Huron to Indianapolis) in one trip. My other two on Travel Mapping are segments separated from the rest of the interstate: I-99 in NY and the short I-74 near Mount Airy, NC.

ctkatz

only 7
76 west
99 ny

almost did 87 but i would have ended up on the streets of new york in a construction caused traffic jam on the interstate.

I 99 pa is technically called an interstate but it does not directly connect to any other interstate so I don't count it no matter what anyone else says.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: bing101 on August 27, 2021, 04:24:02 PM
I-H1, I-H2, I-H3 and I-11 (current alignment) are the 2di's I clinched.

Quote from: 7/8 on August 27, 2021, 11:27:57 PM
I've clinched the original I-69 (Port Huron to Indianapolis) in one trip. My other two on Travel Mapping are segments separated from the rest of the interstate: I-99 in NY and the short I-74 near Mount Airy, NC.

Oh, this looks like a fun game to play.  (Former freeways listed to add to the craziness).

US-220 from I-40 to Ellerbe
I-73/I-74 from Pinewoods to Emery
NC-752 from I-77 to US-52
I-74 from I-77 to US-52 south of Mt. Airy
I-74 from Virginia Border to US-52 south of Mt. Airy
I-73 southwest leg of Greensboro Urban Loop**
US-311 from I-40 to I-73
I-74 from I-73 North Asheboro to the official ending south of Winston-Salem
US-220 from Greensboro Urban Loop to Seagrove
I-73 from Greensboro Urban Loop to North Asheboro

**Might not have qualified as a clinch. Bob Malme indicates that the first leg of the northwest quadrant I-73/I-840 was completed at the same time.  I don't recall that I-73 was posted north of (then) Green I-40 for a few more years.
*** I've been on the entire I-74/US-74 Maxton Bypass, but I can't for the life of me remember why I would have been down that way after 2008.  I'm a stickler, so not on my clinch list.  Maybe I should take the southwest leg of Greensboro Urban Loop off the list too.

All that being said, I can't claim either I-73 or I-74 on my clinch list today.

Mapmikey

2dis clinched on one trip for me:

I-4
I-8
I-12 (same day as I-59)
I-17
I-27
I-30
I-59 (longest at 445 mi)
I-68
I-72
I-82 (same day as I-86w)
I-86(w)
I-88(e)
I-97

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 28, 2021, 12:25:20 PM
US-220 from Greensboro Urban Loop to Seagrove
I-73 from Greensboro Urban Loop to North Asheboro

Oops.  I missed the fact that I-73 on the Greensboro Urban Loop was completed before some of the segments along US-220 to North Asheboro were posted.  Nix this one.

Skye

Do the split segments of I-74 in North Carolina count separately? If so, then the one from Lumberton to Laurinburg is mine, otherwise I have never completely clinched an entire 2di. I've come very close on I-4 (only missing from I-275 to I-75) and I-71 (only missing the last 2-3 miles in Cleveland).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.