News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ampersand (&) on freeway exit signs

Started by KCRoadFan, August 27, 2021, 06:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

amroad17

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 27, 2021, 08:24:39 PM
Exit tab for OH 126 "Exits 32B&C". This is the only example I can think of right now, as normally, the state uses dashes for suffixed exits.
Here is another one in the Cincinnati area on OH 129...
https://goo.gl/maps/YVZSNXgh5DorJZSx9

Because of the "potato" quality of early Google Street View images, the EXIT tab reads EXITS 25A&B. 

The Google car hasn't been on that stretch of OH 129 since 2008?!?  Incredibly, once you pan at the start of the bridge, the image is from 2 years ago.  :confused:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 27, 2021, 08:32:50 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 27, 2021, 07:46:46 PM
^ That entire last line is bonkers. "Jct Routes" could be eliminated. Presumably US-50 (dash and all) could be as well, and then you could have a sign about half the width of that one.

Except the problem is that MoDOT specs say that "Route" must be prefixed on every route number, including Interstates, and that it must never be abbreviated, ever. So you get this funky "Route I-xx" construction that shows up whenever MoDOT has to refer to an interstate in text form.

Of course, KDOT (and most other states) would solve this problem by just signing it "".

Exactly what I was going to say. What an odd spec to have... Using the shields is so much clearer–even if it results in a slightly taller sign, there's less width so it likely balances out.

And to save some horizontal space in this instance, they could have at least used regular dashes instead of em dashes. I'm also not familiar enough to know whether for this example if the first three lines are all one exit or multiple exits very closely spaced. But if they were all one exit, they could have used the em dash to combine two road names to one line.

Quote from: plain on August 27, 2021, 09:19:28 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 27, 2021, 09:00:42 PM
Quote from: plain on August 27, 2021, 08:11:39 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 27, 2021, 07:46:46 PM
^ That entire last line is bonkers. "Jct Routes" could be eliminated. Presumably US-50 (dash and all) could be as well, and then you could have a sign about half the width of that one.

Also, I think that 2 could be moved to the right a bit.

Actually, if anything, the 2 should be moved to the left to line up with the fractions above (whole numbers left of fractions).

That makes sense but I don't recall actually seeing signs like that.

That's concerning. It's a MUTCD convention for the whole numbers to be aligned left of fractions on these interchange sequence signs. It's actually one of my pet peeves when I see a sign that doesn't follow the convention.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

tylert120

noelbotevera

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 27, 2021, 07:10:54 PM
The reason why it's rare is because it's discouraged by the MUTCD:

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD, Chapter 2E
Periods, apostrophes, question marks, ampersands, or other punctuation or characters that are not letters, numerals, or hyphens should not be used in abbreviations, unless necessary to avoid confusion.

The solidus (slanted line or forward slash) is intended to be used for fractions only and should not be used to separate words on the same line of legend. Instead, a hyphen should be used for this purpose, such as "CARS — TRUCKS."

Amusingly, the example the MUTCD gives uses an en dash, not a hyphen, but whatever.
I'm actually curious why this is no bueno, especially since many place names were originally spelled with apostrophes and in some cases, tildes. Let's face it, Warriors Mark or Harpers Ferry is silly, especially since the latter's ferry was owned by a man named Harper...not Harpers.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hotdogPi

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 31, 2021, 07:33:36 PM
The reason why it's rare is because it's discouraged by the MUTCD:

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD, Chapter 2E
Periods, apostrophes, question marks, ampersands, or other punctuation or characters that are not letters, numerals, or hyphens should not be used in abbreviations, unless necessary to avoid confusion.

The solidus (slanted line or forward slash) is intended to be used for fractions only and should not be used to separate words on the same line of legend. Instead, a hyphen should be used for this purpose, such as "CARS — TRUCKS."

Amusingly, the example the MUTCD gives uses an en dash, not a hyphen, but whatever.
I'm actually curious why this is no bueno, especially since many place names were originally spelled with apostrophes and in some cases, tildes. Let's face it, Warriors Mark or Harpers Ferry is silly, especially since the latter's ferry was owned by a man named Harper...not Harpers.

Even worse: Fishs [various things].
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Of course, the apostrophe was allowed to remain for a small number of place names.  Granted, few of them have road signs.

See here but, then again, see here.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2021, 09:58:29 AM
Of course, the apostrophe was allowed to remain for a small number of place names.  Granted, few of them have road signs.

Most signs in the Spokane area pointing towards Coeur d'Alene use the apostrophe for obvious reasons. "Coeur dAlene" just looks awful.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 27, 2021, 11:50:29 PM
I-70 East & West (and also I-81 East & West) near Hagerstown MD:
https://goo.gl/maps/QpvZ8RCxTbE4mBDP6

I-70 is set up like that for it's I-81 (the same) exit..... but I swear I remember old signs, maybe back in the 80s / early 90's that had some sort of symbol instead of an ampersand (but designed to mean the same thing).
But my mind might just be playing tricks on me.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

RobbieL2415

Quote from: formulanone on August 27, 2021, 07:18:48 PM
(Maybe MoDOT should stop trying to cram four roads on one sign panel...)

Three's a stretch:

At that point, just use shields.

kphoger

Isn't the use of shields on mileage signs a relatively new thing?  As in, only in the last couple of decades?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2021, 12:23:33 PM
Isn't the use of shields on mileage signs a relatively new thing?  As in, only in the last couple of decades?

I think it varies by state. Kansas has been using shields on mileage signs since at least the 1990s, if not earlier.

Missouri is just late on a lot of things–they were one of the last states to adopt rectangular shields for three-digit routes, for example.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2021, 04:35:40 PM

Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2021, 12:23:33 PM

I think it varies by state. Kansas has been using shields on mileage signs since at least the 1990s, if not earlier.

Missouri is just late on a lot of things–they were one of the last states to adopt rectangular shields for three-digit routes, for example.

I remember seeing shields on mileage signs in the 1990s, and being surprised because it seemed like a new practice.

So I think it's funny that we've gone from "not really a thing" to "why would any agency not do that" during the span of my driving career.
Male pronouns, please.

odditude

KCRoadFan

Quote from: Bruce on September 01, 2021, 04:40:17 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2021, 09:58:29 AM

Most signs in the Spokane area pointing towards Coeur d'Alene use the apostrophe for obvious reasons. "Coeur dAlene" just looks awful.

As for the second photo (the one with the Sandpoint sign) - what's up with that font?

vdeane

Looks like a classic case of the 3/4 error (which happens based on a misinterpretation of the MUTCD where people don't realize that the font file already sizes the lower-case letters appropriately and scale them down even further).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KCRoadFan

Update: "Lucas & Hunt Road"  is now "Lucas-Hunt Road"  on the signs. When I drove through the area a couple weeks ago, I saw that MoDOT put small green squares with hyphens over the ampersands.

skluth

Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 07, 2022, 08:01:49 PM
Update: "Lucas & Hunt Road"  is now "Lucas-Hunt Road"  on the signs. When I drove through the area a couple weeks ago, I saw that MoDOT put small green squares with hyphens over the ampersands.

That's just stupid. Everybody in St Louis knows it as Lucas & Hunt, not Lucas-Hunt or even Lucas and Hunt.

JustDrive

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VbaeoTc6ohL1ZA8B7?g_st=ic

NB 805 in Chula Vista has this sign, because E Street and Bonita Road (the same continuous street) shares an off ramp with H Street

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.