News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Making custom maps with Google Maps

Started by Quillz, September 14, 2021, 07:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

I've seen on Fictional Highways, some renumberings/fantasy routes that are made using Google Maps. I've figured out how to do the most basic map editing, but I'm a bit confused from there.

For example, I can draw lines that follow routes, but only if they are driving directions. What I want to do is simply draw lines over routes and then perhaps adjust thickness, color, etc. Have multiple layers so I can denote interstates, US highways, etc.

Is there are fairly basic tutorial anywhere that might go over some of these basics? My previous solution was to just do some editing in Illustrator, but those are literally just lines on a white background, and not dynamic (so I can only work with what was on the original file).

Bruce

As long as you're using Google My Maps, it shouldn't be hard. Just click this button:

It allows for freehand drawing. If you use the tables (three dots > Open data table), you can set things up so that lines are colored by type.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Bruce on September 14, 2021, 01:07:53 PM
As long as you're using Google My Maps, it shouldn't be hard. Just click this button:

It allows for freehand drawing. If you use the tables (three dots > Open data table), you can set things up so that lines are colored by type.

He wants them to follow the road perfectly.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Quillz

Quote from: 1 on September 14, 2021, 01:09:22 PM

He wants them to follow the road perfectly.
Yes. If I do driving directions, it works. Lines will follow real roads. That's what I'm trying to do.

Quillz

Thanks, that's a good start. That is partially what I'm looking for.

Scott5114

If you want lines that follow existing roads and you want to draw new roads too...the best option may be to use QGIS and a GIS highway layer from your state DOT.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Quillz

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 14, 2021, 04:54:42 PM
If you want lines that follow existing roads and you want to draw new roads too...the best option may be to use QGIS and a GIS highway layer from your state DOT.
Yes, I may have to do this. I used to use ArcGIS in college but it's not free. I'll try this one out.

usends

This is what I've done on some of my Google maps, sounds like it may be what you're looking for:
1. Set up driving directions along the route you want to draw.
2. Export to kmz/kml
3. Import your kmz/kml file (either to your existing map or to a new map).
4. That brings separate, editable elements into a new layer: the route, the start point, and the end point.  You can delete the terminus points, leaving you with just the road line that you want.  You can adjust the line weight, color, etc.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Quillz

Quote from: usends on September 14, 2021, 05:59:18 PM
This is what I've done on some of my Google maps, sounds like it may be what you're looking for:
1. Set up driving directions along the route you want to draw.
2. Export to kmz/kml
3. Import your kmz/kml file (either to your existing map or to a new map).
4. That brings separate, editable elements into a new layer: the route, the start point, and the end point.  You can delete the terminus points, leaving you with just the road line that you want.  You can adjust the line weight, color, etc.
Oh, nice, this is pretty much exactly what I wanted. This might still be slower than trying to make some adjustments via qGIS, but this will work for now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.