News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstates ending as freeways

Started by NE2, September 14, 2021, 06:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

I know I-4 is a freeway at both ends. Anyone know others?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

GaryV

Virtually every Interstate ends as a freeway.  A notable exception is I-180 in WY, since it's not a freeway at all.

TheHighwayMan3561

I-35 is a notable one for ending as a non-freeway at both termini.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GaryV

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 14, 2021, 06:24:49 PM

Does the Interstate end where the freeway ends?  Or does it continue on for a few yards?

There are some other Interstates that end on or near bridges where the bridge itself is not a freeway, but it is part of the system.

CapeCodder

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 14, 2021, 06:24:49 PM

Think more interesting would be interstates that terminate not as a freeway(like I-43 south in Beloit....or soon to be formerly on this list depending how construction is going)
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

SkyPesos

Quote from: GaryV on September 14, 2021, 06:23:48 PM
Virtually every Interstate ends as a freeway.  A notable exception is I-180 in WY, since it's not a freeway at all.
It's a post by NE2...

webny99

Whoa, people took this seriously?

If you exclude all termini that aren't at a full freeway junction it could be mildly interesting, but still a lot more that do than don't.

Flint1979

Flint1979

I'm pretty sure that an Interstate highway ends where the freeway ends in almost every case. The stupid I-180 and I-587 and things like that are exceptions but I-180 in Wyoming isn't even an Interstate to begin with.

bwana39

I think the epitome of this is US-75 completing I-45
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Big John

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 14, 2021, 08:06:31 PM
All of them.
I-75 in Sault Ste. Marie ends as a 2-lane bridge on the Canadian border.

Techknow

I-280 North in San Francisco does NOT end as a freeway, who knew? Instead it becomes King Street just south of AT&T Park and The Embarcadero, which are both 4-lane divided surface streets, or Sixth street which is 4-lane but undivided.

I-70 East ends at a Park and Ride or at a freeway depending on who you ask!

CtrlAltDel

I-19 in Nogales AZ continues a bit past West Street to end at Crawford Street, about three blocks away.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 14, 2021, 08:07:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that an Interstate highway ends where the freeway ends in almost every case.

I'm glad you said "almost."  How about we make a list of Interstates that end before the freeway ends?  In other words, Interstates that continue as non-Interstate freeways.

I-39, northern terminus
I-45, northern terminus (or I-345, if you prefer)
I-49, northern terminus
I-64, western terminus
I-72, western terminus
I-76 (East), eastern terminus
I-135, northern terminus
I-210 (California), eastern terminus (why?)
I-235 (Kansas), northern terminus
I-287, southern terminus

Granted, there is quite a bit of variation in how long these continue as freeways before becoming expressways or terminating entirely.  In some cases, it makes sense to end the Interstate designation at another Interstate, when the freeway only continues for a few more miles before petering out as an expressway or a surface road.  In other cases, it seems more arbitrary.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Hobart

Quote from: Ned Weasel on September 14, 2021, 08:45:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that an Interstate highway ends where the freeway ends in almost every case.

I'm glad you said "almost."  How about we make a list of Interstates that end before the freeway ends?  In other words, Interstates that continue as non-Interstate freeways.

I-39, northern terminus
I-49, northern terminus
I-64, western terminus
I-72, western terminus
I-135, northern terminus
I-287, southern terminus

Granted, there is quite a bit of variation in how long these continue as freeways before becoming expressways or terminating entirely.  In some cases, it makes sense to end the Interstate designation at another Interstate, when the freeway only continues for a few more miles before petering out as an expressway or a surface road.  In other cases, it seems more arbitrary.

Don't forget about I-794, which downgrades to a Wisconsin state road, remains a substandard freeway for one exit, has a light at the next, has two more exits as a substandard freeway, and ends at a signal by the airport.

Or I-255 in Illinois, which mysteriously downgrades to an Illinois state road without changing numbers or standards after crossing I-55 at its northern terminus.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Hobart on September 14, 2021, 08:59:44 PM
Or I-255 in Illinois, which mysteriously downgrades to an Illinois state road without changing numbers or standards after crossing I-55 at its northern terminus.

That's a good example that I did indeed forget about.  But I also got kind of tired and decided to cap my list at 10 before making it an exhaustive search.

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Hobart on September 14, 2021, 08:59:44 PM

I-39, northern terminus
I-49, northern terminus
I-64, western terminus
I-72, western terminus
I-135, northern terminus
I-287, southern terminus

Don't forget about I-794, which downgrades to a Wisconsin state road, remains a substandard freeway for one exit, has a light at the next, has two more exits as a substandard freeway, and ends at a signal by the airport.

I-474 continues as the IL 6 freeway north of I-74 in Peoria, IL

ztonyg

I-39, northern terminus
I-49, northern terminus
I-64, western terminus
I-72, western terminus
I-135, northern terminus
I-287, southern terminus

I'd also add the following:
I-15 (California), southern terminus
I-22 (Mississippi), western terminus
I-37 (Texas), northern terminus
I-44 (Texas), southern terminus
I-110 (California), northern terminus
I-255 (Illinois), northern terminus
I-269 (Tennessee), northern terminus
I-470 (Missouri), eastern terminus
I-470 (Kansas), eastern terminus (if we consider the K-4 super 2 to be the logical I-470 extension and the turnpike connection to I-70 to be ramps)
I-480 (Ohio), western terminus
I-480 (Nebraska), western terminus
I-880 (California), southern terminus

Ned Weasel

Quote from: ztonyg on September 14, 2021, 09:25:51 PM
I-470 (Kansas), eastern terminus (if we consider the K-4 super 2 to be the logical I-470 extension and the turnpike connection to I-70 to be ramps)

I wouldn't include this one, personally.  The I-470 mainline continues as the Kansas Turnpike, which becomes part of I-70 at that point.

bing101

I-80 west end ends at US-101 Bayshore to Central in San FranciscoI-680 ends as a freeway on both ends.

DJ Particle

US-61 is an expressway north of I-70, not a freeway.

But I guess *technically* the freeway does extend about 10 blocks or so north, as there are 2 interchanges close together before the first surface intersection....  🤔

Ned Weasel

Quote from: DJ Particle on September 14, 2021, 11:55:46 PM

But I guess *technically* the freeway does extend about 10 blocks or so north, as there are 2 interchanges close together before the first surface intersection....  🤔

The question is: where do you draw the line to define this new category we've come up with?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Ned Weasel on September 15, 2021, 06:37:59 AM
Quote from: DJ Particle on September 14, 2021, 11:55:46 PM

The question is: where do you draw the line to define this new category we've come up with?

You don't draw the line. FritzOwl does.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.