News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crop Circles

Started by roadman65, September 15, 2021, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed all the different crop circles while flying over Oregon and half a circle flying over the Kansas Welcome Center of I-70 E Bound in Sherman County, KS. To the south of the rest area you may see a farm visiting it, but go to satellite imagery and see the half circle.

Some circles look like a giant pac man or a pie missing a slice as a part of it is uncultivated. Many are full especially east of Portland, OR.

However I saw near Wichita, KS farms with their wide area sprinklers have it stationary end in the middle of the circle with circular tracks forming a complete 160, which answered my question of farmers intentionally grow crops into a circle.  Yet, on line articles omit claim a mystery takes place when they form.

What is the nature? The real nature that is, as the sprinklers could do it being it can't reach outside the circle to provide aqequate water to that area? Yet why is that not mentioned on Google?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

Are you talking about stuff like this?

That's center pivot irrigation. There's a sprinkler that starts in the middle, goes out to the edge of the circle, and rotates around so it can water everything inside. It is completely unrelated to crop circles.

As for cases where the irrigated land does not form a complete circle... there are countless reasons why those areas might be incomplete. In the example above, the two pac-man shaped areas at the top are there because whoever owns that farm doesn't own the land north of the Idaho border, so they can't rotate the sprinkler anywhere past the state line.

triplemultiplex

What a delightful misunderstanding. :-D

Center-pivot irrigation is everywhere it doesn't rain enough to sustain the crops someone wants to grow.  They look even more out of place in desert areas where the dark green stands out against the barren land.

"Crop Circles" are when some douchebags go out and vandalize someone's crops for attention.  The idea that there is any mystery behind them is laughable on its face, as anyone with a few simple tools and some basic geometry knowledge can do it.  The only mystery is why some asshole thinks they can tromp onto private property and damage some hapless farmer's source of income for the lols.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

abefroman329

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 17, 2021, 01:33:36 PMThe only mystery is why some asshole thinks they can tromp onto private property and damage some hapless farmer's source of income for the lols.

Unless the farmer did it themselves, hoping to turn the farm into a tourist attraction.

webny99

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 17, 2021, 03:37:32 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 17, 2021, 01:33:36 PMThe only mystery is why some asshole thinks they can tromp onto private property and damage some hapless farmer's source of income for the lols.

Unless the farmer did it themselves, hoping to turn the farm into a tourist attraction.

I suspect that's the case here with the giant USA letters. I've seen this one in the wild several times. You can see it right from NY 54A (shown here), but the better view, shown in the first link, is from James Rd, which doesn't have Street View.

abefroman329

Quote from: webny99 on September 17, 2021, 03:47:41 PM

I suspect that's the case here. I've seen this one in the wild several times. You can see it right from NY 54A (shownhere), but the better view, shown in the first link, is from James Rd, which doesn't have Street View.

To be clear, if not, then I agree that it's a shitty thing to do to a farmer.

Scott5114

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 17, 2021, 03:48:13 PM

I suspect that's the case here. I've seen this one in the wild several times. You can see it right from NY 54A (shownhere), but the better view, shown in the first link, is from James Rd, which doesn't have Street View.

To be clear, if not, then I agree that it's a shitty thing to do to a farmer.

If someone got into my greenhouse and did that, I'd be livid. Farmers have bills to pay too, and the bank isn't going to accept stories about crop circles in lieu of payment.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

I suspect that's the case here with the giant USA letters. I've seen this one in the wild several times. You can see it right from NY 54A (shown here), but the better view, shown in the first link, is from James Rd, which doesn't have Street View.
That's intentional.  It was originally planted to honor the victims of 9/11 and has been maintained that way ever since.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.