Fix 50 Project(CA-50/I-80 Business DT Sacramento)

Started by Plutonic Panda, October 07, 2021, 04:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

This project will completely reconstruct the freeway and add HOV lanes from I-5 to Folsom BLVD. Lots of needed projects about to be underway in the area.

Project website: https://www.fix50.com/

Update from Construction Equipment Guide:

QuoteOverseen by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), the $480 million Fix50 project will see a long-awaited upgrade of the busy section of Highway 50, a key corridor in mid-town and East Sacramento (Sacramento County), with the addition of high-occupancy vehicle lanes; widening of 12 bridges; and newly-built retaining walls.

"This is one of the largest projects in the Sacramento region, one of the largest projects we've seen in a very long time," said Angela DaPrato, public information officer of Caltrans District 3.

- https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/flatiron-embarks-on-one-of-californias-largest-projects/54019

Plutonic Panda

jrouse

Work has been underway on this project for several months now.  Lots of traffic shifts, and roadside temporary signs in place of overhead signs which had to be removed.  They're also splitting traffic in the eastbound direction between Howe and Watt.   It's one of two big projects underway here in Sacramento.  The other one is the new HOV lanes under construction on I-5 between Elk Grove and downtown.   

When I last drove through the US-50 project a few days ago one of the things I noticed is that they are installing aluminum light standards instead of the galvanized steel poles that Caltrans has traditionally used.  This caught me by surprise.  I am not sure if we changed our standards or what and I have been wanting to look into this a little more but just haven't been able to yet.  I only know of one other project where aluminum poles were used and that was in District 4 at the I-880/CA-237 interchange when that was rebuilt a few years ago.

Plutonic Panda

^^^ I know there is another thread for this but is the Capital City project still on track to begin in 2023?

I'm assuming this project wraps around 2025 given it's scope so that'll be two massive projects around downtown. Will be very nice once completed.

ClassicHasClass

"SR 80" shield for BR 80 on the map, groan.  :ded:

jrouse

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 07, 2021, 06:19:49 PM
^^^ I know there is another thread for this but is the Capital City project still on track to begin in 2023?

That is still the schedule but those dates are always subject to change depending on the availability of funding.

bing101

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 07, 2021, 04:57:54 PM
This project will completely reconstruct the freeway and add HOV lanes from I-5 to Folsom BLVD. Lots of needed projects about to be underway in the area.

Project website: https://www.fix50.com/

Update from Construction Equipment Guide:

QuoteOverseen by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), the $480 million Fix50 project will see a long-awaited upgrade of the busy section of Highway 50, a key corridor in mid-town and East Sacramento (Sacramento County), with the addition of high-occupancy vehicle lanes; widening of 12 bridges; and newly-built retaining walls.

"This is one of the largest projects in the Sacramento region, one of the largest projects we've seen in a very long time," said Angela DaPrato, public information officer of Caltrans District 3.

- https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/flatiron-embarks-on-one-of-californias-largest-projects/54019
I know what you mean US-50 and I-305 project.

bing101

Bickendan

gonealookin

It's a little frustrating that fairly extensive work was done on the W-X Freeway segment just a few years ago, and now it looks like some of that work is being torn up as part of the current project.  Reno has something similar going on with I-580/US 395 as there was a big widening project a few years back between I-80 and the airport and now it's under construction again as part of the Spaghetti Bowl work.

The physical barrier between eastbound lanes is unusual.  Not unheard of in California as the Caldecott Tunnel has had that for decades.  I did make a point of driving the eastbound "express lanes" last time I went through a couple weeks ago.

roadfro

Quote from: gonealookin on October 08, 2021, 01:56:26 PM
It's a little frustrating that fairly extensive work was done on the W-X Freeway segment just a few years ago, and now it looks like some of that work is being torn up as part of the current project.  Reno has something similar going on with I-580/US 395 as there was a big widening project a few years back between I-80 and the airport and now it's under construction again as part of the Spaghetti Bowl work.

Off topic for the thread, but wanted to offer a clarification. The widening project on I-580/US 395 several years ago (may be as much as a decade ago now) was only an outside widening of the northbound lanes, and did not include any extensive work to the then-existing northbound pavement or any work southbound. The current Spaghetti Bowl Express project appears to have reconstructed the older(inner) northbound lanes–and now southbound traffic is using the reconstructed northbound lanes while crews are reconstructing and widening the southbound side and constructing the southbound ramp improvements.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.