News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads in Video Games

Started by KEK Inc., September 06, 2010, 01:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

The older test chambers in Portal 2 have the FHWA font.

[Removed font tags. -S.]
Take the road less traveled.

SteveG1988

Two Expressways in GTA IV, Plumbers Skyway, the  algonquin bridge (i called it williams burg, its really the manhattan bridge)

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

vtk

My roommate has a relatively recent Sonic the Hedgehog game where you play as Shadow (Shadow the Hedgehog, perhaps?) that seems to re-use a very few highway-sign textures.  Besides the fact that the same couple of signs are duplicated in a zillion places, it looks as though those textures were put together by a roadgeek anyway.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

triplemultiplex

The latest installment of Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 3, rehashes some pretty awful freeway signs we saw in MW2.  The overhead BGS with I-95 and I-395 shields using arial font are back.  When I get around to it, I'll throw up a screen cap.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Ian

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 21, 2011, 06:26:54 PM
The latest installment of Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 3, rehashes some pretty awful freeway signs we saw in MW2.  The overhead BGS with I-95 and I-395 shields using arial font are back.  When I get around to it, I'll throw up a screen cap.

I've noticed this as well. But I do like the fact that one of the maps takes place at a half destroyed freeway interchange!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 21, 2011, 06:49:51 PM
The latest installment of Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 3, rehashes some pretty awful freeway signs we saw in MW2.  The overhead BGS with I-95 and I-395 shields using arial font are back.  When I get around to it, I'll throw up a screen cap.

I've noticed this as well. But I do like the fact that one of the maps takes place at a half destroyed freeway interchange!

Saw those too... Maybe they got the idea from George Washington Memorial Parkway:happy:

Ian

Quote from: Alex on November 21, 2011, 08:26:56 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 21, 2011, 06:49:51 PM
The latest installment of Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 3, rehashes some pretty awful freeway signs we saw in MW2.  The overhead BGS with I-95 and I-395 shields using arial font are back.  When I get around to it, I'll throw up a screen cap.

Saw those too... Maybe they got the idea from George Washington Memorial Parkway:happy:

That sign looks down right gorgeous compared to some of the signs in the game!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

KEK Inc.

Grand Theft Auto V - "Los Santos" (Los Angeles)

Looking forward to their roads.  Their freeway signs aren't really accurate to California.  At least Rockstar games has learned to put traffic signals after interchanges.  Liberty City (NYC) had accurate Jersey trumpet arms and the traditional NYC arms in parts of Manhattan, but they seemed to put them before interchanges.

formulanone

Gran Turismo 2, 3, and 4 used downtown Seattle for its "Seattle Circuit"; you race underneath and later, alongside the Alaskan Viaduct for a stretch.

GT2/GT3 also featured the "Rome Circuit", which was modeled on actual streets around the Roman Coliseum. It returned in slightly different form for GT5.

There's also Tokyo R246, which follows around Japan National Route 246, and is featured in GT3, GT4, and GT5. Manhattan and roads around Times Square are featured in the New York Circuit (GT4), as are a few other street circuits. Special Stage Route 7/Special Stage Route 11 are also supposedly located around sites in Japan (can't figure out which ones, though).

Polyphony Digital (the makers of the Gran Turismo series) is quite detailed in their work (sometimes obsessively so), and the results are amazing...although don't expect pristine signage.

Edit: "Special Stage", not "super street".

Sanctimoniously

Tsavo Highway, anyone?

Probably not possible to clinch this one.

The Tterrab Highway Authority makes some decent-looking signage. Holds up well during an apocalyptic alien invasion, too
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Zeffy

Quote from: KEK Inc. on May 08, 2011, 07:45:41 PM

The older test chambers in Portal 2 have the FHWA font.

I KNEW IT! The moment I got down to old Aperture I saw the font, and was like "That seems really...familiar", so I took a screencap, and
compared the fonts. It matched. Now if Valve can do it, why can't it be used in games like Need for Speed, Forza Horizon, or really, any game that features highways, roads, and signs? It would make me so much happier then seeing Arial / Helvetica signs that make me cringe.  :ded:

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on May 08, 2013, 09:20:41 PM
Tsavo Highway, anyone?

Have you played Halo 3: ODST? What about the highway / freeway that you drive down in the last level? I forget what it's called, I think it was called the Waterfront Expressway.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: Zeffy on May 08, 2013, 09:37:48 PM

Have you played Halo 3: ODST? What about the highway / freeway that you drive down in the last level? I forget what it's called, I think it was called the Waterfront Expressway.

The New Mombasa Waterfront Highway? Definitely liked that one, too, as well as all of the fleshed-out infrastructure of New Mombasa...it's just that the Tsavo Highway had the best pictures of signs.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

KEK Inc.

Borderlands 2 has a highway area much like Borderlands 1 with the Crimson Tollway.  The Badass Crater of Badassitude has a lot of random roads and viaducts that don't seem to serve much of a purpose, honestly. 

kurumi

Quote from: formulanone on May 08, 2013, 08:39:59 PM
There's also Tokyo R246, which follows around Japan National Route 246, and is featured in GT3, GT4, and GT5.

Route 246 sounds like huge fun. Check out this 3-level interchange: http://www.flickr.com/photos/therealkurumi/4446547051/in/set-72157601679464026/
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Billy F 1988

Tsavo Highway, anyone?

Probably not possible to clinch this one.

The Tterrab Highway Authority makes some decent-looking signage. Holds up well during an apocalyptic alien invasion, too

That's from Halo 3, isn't it? That part of the game looks familiar to me. I've seen my friend play H3 and had seen this kind of highway.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

ET21

NFS The Run, crappy game, but it does feature multiple Interstates (80, 70, 90/94). My favorite part though is the Chicago region, where you can race down the Kennedy onto I-290

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Zeffy

This may be old, but here's pictures of the MW3 Interchange map and it's road signs. One of them looks pretty good, the others... x.x

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vtk

Which way to I-95? All of them, apparently.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

1995hoo

Back in the early 1980s I loved playing iMagic's Truckin' for Intellivision. The graphics were, of course, laughably crude by current standards. As the name implies, you drove a truck and you had to go from one point to another to deliver your "cargo," choosing which Interstates to use en route (the Trans-Canada was also an option, though the game signed it as an Interstate).

Description and images here.

The game's designer also designed Microsurgeon.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on May 09, 2013, 04:02:00 PM
NFS The Run, crappy game, but it does feature multiple Interstates (80, 70, 90/94). My favorite part though is the Chicago region, where you can race down the Kennedy onto I-290

They even got the gantry and the wide exit tab right (this would be O'Hare-bound on I-190).  They could've used FHWA or Clearview (not sure which it is now) ont he green sign, but the blue one is true-to-life with the shitty use of Helvetica.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on May 09, 2013, 03:27:56 PM

That's from Halo 3, isn't it? That part of the game looks familiar to me. I've seen my friend play H3 and had seen this kind of highway.

Tsavo Highway and New Mombaso was Halo 2.
Doing that level in the campaign on solo really made you curse the driving skills of the AI.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Zeffy

Saints Row: The Third features a nice small network of roads. The city is split into colors, green is one section, blue another and so forth. What's interesting is that there are BGSs and guide signs that all correspond to a certain color[ed circle]. Here's an example.

I also cannot tell what the font used on those signs are. It's refreshing to see something other than Arial and Helvetica.

Billy F 1988

"Loren Square" looks to be in a bolded Tahoma looking font. Certainly it isn't Clearview.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Zeffy

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on June 03, 2013, 07:49:37 PM
"Loren Square" looks to be in a bolded Tahoma looking font. Certainly it isn't Clearview.

Well, the "TO" honestly looks like it could be FHWA Series E. If it isn't, it is really similar, since I compared it in GIMP.

Zeffy

More pics of road signs in SR: TT.

I'm 99% positive that the "ROAD CLOSED", "SPEED LIMIT" and "STOP" signs are all in the FHWA font.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.