News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: jay8g on September 19, 2021, 02:43:49 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 14, 2021, 03:53:54 PM
Kind of off-topic: could someone remind me again what those vertical metal bars are on the end of the mast arm? I see them a lot these days (including that NYS intersection we are talking about).
Those are dampers to reduce movement in windy conditions. Here's the manufacturer's page on them.

Thank you! That's a very impressive technological development. No wonder I see them all the time.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/5sYpG2CJjB9wjrNz5

Interesting visors on this one piece four way signal head. Kentucky invades New York.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

This is the way one way left signals should be mounted, unlike NJ that does every one of the left and straight.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on September 29, 2021, 12:24:02 PM
This is the way one way left signals should be mounted, unlike NJ that does every one of the left and straight.

Where is this? I see an Oklahoma plate but this doesn't look like signals I've seen there.

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on September 29, 2021, 01:03:43 PM

Where is this? I see an Oklahoma plate but this doesn't look like signals I've seen there.

Based on that "abunchoftextyoudonthavetimetoread PROHIBITED" sign on the ramp in the background, probably somewhere in Kansas.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on September 29, 2021, 10:33:25 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 29, 2021, 01:03:43 PM

Based on that "abunchoftextyoudonthavetimetoread PROHIBITED" sign on the ramp in the background, probably somewhere in Kansas.

Good catch! You are correct: https://goo.gl/maps/Rhi7XApYweGko5xJ9

That sign really is wordy. Yikes.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 04, 2021, 10:29:37 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 03, 2021, 11:49:33 PM
A bike signal at my college started operating a couple days ago. Though I'm wondering, aren't all newly installed signals required to have a backplate in 2021?

No.  In NJ there's been some signals installed with the reflective backplates, but it almost seems like certain engineers add them; others don't.  It's very random where they've been added.

An intersection near me on a county road was slightly modified and the signals retrofitted with the reflectorized backplates; it's the first intersection in my county I can think of with them.
Exaclty. I've heard from some engineers they don't think they're needed unless the limit is 45+ MPH. so much so they will remove the reflective tape from their signals when they're installed

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/Khfq8sLiJTbqvgGL7
Violation of MUTCD using green arrows to indicate a one way is coming and either must turn left or right. As a left green is reserved for protection again other vehicles, this one has oncoming cars when light is green with the two arrows.

Plus rare use of 8 inch arrows lenses as NJ phased them out with Bell Bottoms when the Vietnam War was going on.

Plus here is a yellow beacon light used with a Yield sign, that is unusual.
https://goo.gl/maps/vQ7AUBCWvUL8BfSz9

Sheryl Crowe

UCFKnights

Quote from: roadman65 on October 04, 2021, 09:53:59 AM
Thats also 3 stops and a yield, which doesn't seem quite correct, who do you need to yield to if everyone else has to stop?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Amtrakprod on October 03, 2021, 08:12:12 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 04, 2021, 10:29:37 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 03, 2021, 11:49:33 PM
A bike signal at my college started operating a couple days ago. Though I'm wondering, aren't all newly installed signals required to have a backplate in 2021?

No.  In NJ there's been some signals installed with the reflective backplates, but it almost seems like certain engineers add them; others don't.  It's very random where they've been added.

An intersection near me on a county road was slightly modified and the signals retrofitted with the reflectorized backplates; it's the first intersection in my county I can think of with them.
Exaclty. I've heard from some engineers they don't think they're needed unless the limit is 45+ MPH. so much so they will remove the reflective tape from their signals when they're installed
iPhone

NJ as a rule doesn't use backplates at all. 

When backplates have been added recently, they've been reflectorized. And in regards to the intersection I mentioned, the main road is 35 mph; the cross street is 25 mph.  There were no backplates prior to the mod.

SkyPesos

Everything here suggests that it's a left turn... except the actual traffic signals.

signalman

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 07, 2021, 01:41:56 AM
Everything here suggests that it's a left turn... except the actual traffic signals.
I mean, the stop bars are on an angle. It really isn't a full left turn and Missouri may not orient arrows on an angle, I'm not sure.

SkyPesos

Quote from: signalman on October 07, 2021, 02:55:17 AM
I mean, the stop bars are on an angle. It really isn't a full left turn and Missouri may not orient arrows on an angle, I'm not sure.
This is the first one I've seen MO use straight arrows for DDI off ramp left turns. The ones I've been on (in the St Louis area) all use left arrows.

- I-270 exit 17
- I-70 exit 229
- I-70 exit 222

SkyPesos

I found this in another DDI (in another state). How common are red "straight" arrows in the US? I've always seen green straight arrows used with a red ball, even with left or right red arrows.

Kasey

Quote from: roadman65 on October 04, 2021, 09:53:59 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/Khfq8sLiJTbqvgGL7
Violation of MUTCD using green arrows to indicate a one way is coming and either must turn left or right. As a left green is reserved for protection again other vehicles, this one has oncoming cars when light is green with the two arrows.

Plus rare use of 8 inch arrows lenses as NJ phased them out with Bell Bottoms when the Vietnam War was going on.

https://goo.gl/maps/vQ7AUBCWvUL8BfSz9

I remeber finding these, honestly it's pretty cool with the old Marbelite 19408's.
Crazy person who owns a bunch of traffic lights

signalman

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 07, 2021, 08:41:00 AM
I found this in another DDI (in another state). How common are red "straight" arrows in the US? I've always seen green straight arrows used with a red ball, even with left or right red arrows.

Vertical red arrows are an MUTCD violation, but some can be found around.

SignBridge

Quote from: signalman on October 07, 2021, 02:55:17 AM

Now let me get this straight........The authorities in Missouri are smart enough to use a diverging diamond interchange, but not smart enough to orient and angle the signal arrows correctly?

US71

Jack Horkheimer signals: Keep Looking Up ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

RestrictOnTheHanger

Las Vegas has straight red arrows at some intersections

ErmineNotyours

roadfro

Quote from: signalman on October 07, 2021, 01:15:41 PM

Vertical red arrows are an MUTCD violation, but some can be found around.

Nevada tends to use vertical/straight red arrows at DDI crossovers, despite them being disallowed by MUTCD. There's also a few straight red arrows scattered around the Reno area on a few arterial roads that are meant to reinforce no right turn onto a freeway off ramp.

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on October 08, 2021, 02:39:32 PM
Las Vegas has straight red arrows at some intersections

Do you have an example? I can't recall having seen one, other than the DDI at I-11/US 93/US 95 and Horizon Drive in Henderson.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: roadfro on October 10, 2021, 05:02:20 PM
Do you have an example? I can't recall having seen one, other than the DDI at I-11/US 93/US 95 and Horizon Drive in Henderson.

Harmon Ave at Las Vegas blvd

https://maps.app.goo.gl/N7LGgRmU5Fr1P1oY7

DrSmith

This is one setup it seems was made more confusing when it was redone. It's a diamond interchange with right turn cut-outs. The main road is 4 lanes with protected/permissive left turn signals. There are no dedicated left turn lanes, only an option left/straight lane. Without completely rebuilding the I-91 overpasses, there is no room for dedicated left turn lanes without removing through lanes.

Previously, the right turn cut-outs had yield signs. With the addition of the ped signals, there were traffic lights added to control the right turn lanes. The signal is red for the ped crossing and also when during the protected portion of the left turns. As installed (and shown in the image), green lights were used otherwise, which to me created a chance for conflict. The green light means you have the right of way and doesn't count for the merge slightly after where there were no real controls and traffic is still making left turns undoing the permissible portion as well.

After a while, these right turn signals were switched for flashing yellow arrows. Only red - yellow - flashing yellow version. Maybe it's only me, but this still leaves I think confusion to most people indicating that I can proceed and neglecting some of the potential for conflict.

If there was room for dedicated protected only left turn lanes that would remove some of the issue, although maybe not all of it from the right turn lane off the I-91 south exit ramp.

https://goo.gl/maps/b6ebhJvkkRjY3PqR6

roadfro

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on October 11, 2021, 12:30:10 PM
Quote from: roadfro on October 10, 2021, 05:02:20 PM

Harmon Ave at Las Vegas blvd

https://maps.app.goo.gl/N7LGgRmU5Fr1P1oY7

Well, I'll be damned. I've looked at that intersection a couple times in Street View before, but never remembered seeing that. It's probably due to the odd angle of the intersection, but still incredibly unusual application of straight red arrows for Nevada.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Quote from: DrSmith on October 13, 2021, 06:59:14 PM
This is one setup it seems was made more confusing when it was redone. It's a diamond interchange with right turn cut-outs. The main road is 4 lanes with protected/permissive left turn signals. There are no dedicated left turn lanes, only an option left/straight lane. Without completely rebuilding the I-91 overpasses, there is no room for dedicated left turn lanes without removing through lanes.

Previously, the right turn cut-outs had yield signs. With the addition of the ped signals, there were traffic lights added to control the right turn lanes. The signal is red for the ped crossing and also when during the protected portion of the left turns. As installed (and shown in the image), green lights were used otherwise, which to me created a chance for conflict. The green light means you have the right of way and doesn't count for the merge slightly after where there were no real controls and traffic is still making left turns undoing the permissible portion as well.

After a while, these right turn signals were switched for flashing yellow arrows. Only red - yellow - flashing yellow version. Maybe it's only me, but this still leaves I think confusion to most people indicating that I can proceed and neglecting some of the potential for conflict.

If there was room for dedicated protected only left turn lanes that would remove some of the issue, although maybe not all of it from the right turn lane off the I-91 south exit ramp.

https://goo.gl/maps/b6ebhJvkkRjY3PqR6

There's totally room for a left turn lane there without complete rebuild of the overpass. If they used a straight abutment wall on both sides of the overpass, they could get enough space to squeeze in a turn laneā€“it would only be enough for a turn lane to extend from the signal to the midpoint of the freeway for both sides, but that would've been better than nothing and seems like it would be mostly adequate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.