News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on May 16, 2017, 04:10:48 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 16, 2017, 04:08:38 PM
A quick note on Wisconsin's new-format license plates.

I've seen a small handful of new-format plates 'in the wild' here in the Appleton area over the past few days. They have all been 'AAB-xxxx', with the highest being 'AAB-6467'.

Did WisDOT decide to skip the 'AAA-xxxx' block?

Mike

No they didn't. I saw an AAA-xxxx plate here in Milwaukee. Perhaps the batch they sent to the DMV in Appleton were the AAB-xxxx block.

iPhone

Kewl!

:cool:

I wonder who got the lowest one ('AAA-1001').   :hmmm:

Someone here in Appleton got the lowest number in the old format ('101-AAA'), I saw it fairly often on the city's west side until about 2006 or so.

An added note - as time passes, I am increasingly liking Wisconsin's plate design.  Its artwork is sleek, simple, very unique and it is one of the easiest to read of all of the states and provinces in North America.

Mike

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: mgk920 on May 16, 2017, 04:23:52 PM

I've seen a small handful of new-format plates 'in the wild' here in the Appleton area over the past few days. They have all been 'AAB-xxxx', with the highest being 'AAB-6467'.

Mike

No they didn't. I saw an AAA-xxxx plate here in Milwaukee. Perhaps the batch they sent to the DMV in Appleton were the AAB-xxxx block.

iPhone

Kewl!

:cool:

I wonder who got the lowest one ('AAA-1001').   :hmmm:

Someone here in Appleton got the lowest number in the old format ('101-AAA'), I saw it fairly often on the city's west side until about 2006 or so.

An added note - as time passes, I am increasingly liking Wisconsin's plate design.  Its artwork is sleek, simple, very unique and it is one of the easiest to read of all of the states and provinces in North America.

Mike

I actually have to admit that as time goes on I appreciate a simple license plate design.  Texas and California come to mind as plates I'm a fan of... The only thing I'd perhaps change is moving the artwork to the bottom center (replacing the "America's Dairyland" slogan) and centering the state's name in the upper portion. 

DaBigE

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on May 16, 2017, 04:58:48 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 16, 2017, 04:23:52 PM

Mike

I actually have to admit that as time goes on I appreciate a simple license plate design.  Texas and California come to mind as plates I'm a fan of...
I agree as well. Despite a little hypocrisy in just putting a specialty plate on my own car, :pan: I've been a firm believer in simplistic plate design/using a plate as ID purposes only and not a mobile art palette.

QuoteThe only thing I'd perhaps change is moving the artwork to the bottom center (replacing the "America's Dairyland" slogan) and centering the state's name in the upper portion.

That's a nice idea, but it would mess up most of Wisconsin's other specialty plate designs (for those who like uniformity/have OCD tendencies), which omit the top artwork, recenter 'WISCONSIN', and put the plate description in place of "America's Dairyland".
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

DaBigE

Mike

Just saw my first 7-digit WI plate in the Madison-area, coming back from lunch just a little bit ago...AAA-1140.

For shits and grins, I decided to use the WisDMV plate look-up tool for AAA-0001...it is issued and belongs to a 2008 Ford.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Brandon

I actually have to admit that as time goes on I appreciate a simple license plate design.  Texas and California come to mind as plates I'm a fan of... The only thing I'd perhaps change is moving the artwork to the bottom center (replacing the "America's Dairyland" slogan) and centering the state's name in the upper portion. 

Still beats the shit out of Illinois's new "clipart" design.  X-(
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: Brandon on May 18, 2017, 02:07:43 PM

Still beats the shit out of Illinois's new "clipart" design.  X-(

Yeah, I think their new plate is horrible. The "Lincoln head" is so dark that it makes the first two letters illegible from more than about ten feet away.

Big John

Quote from: DaBigE on May 18, 2017, 01:57:51 PM

For shits and grins, I decided to use the WisDMV plate look-up tool for AAA-0001...it is issued and belongs to a 2008 Ford.
So Wisconsin is starting to use lead zeroes?

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on May 18, 2017, 03:48:24 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on May 18, 2017, 01:57:51 PM

So Wisconsin is starting to use lead zeroes?

I just tried 'AAA-1001' - it comes back 'No record found'.

Also, a new 'high number' for me this afternoon, I saw 'AAB-6708' on a parked car in downtown Appleton.

Mike

colinstu

Well there's your problem. Not supposed to use dashes in that form.

colinstu

Also, DaBigE searched AAA0001, not AAA1001.

edit: however, if you search AAA0002, 3, 4, etc nothing is found. It's possible that's just an odd vanity plate.

GeekJedi

Based on that expiration date, it's a vanity. That plate should have an expiration date of APR or MAY of 18 if it was sequential.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

mgk920

As I've mentioned upthread, 'APR1974' has been active here in the Appleton area for several years, too.

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: colinstu on May 18, 2017, 07:09:37 PM
Well there's your problem. Not supposed to use dashes in that form.

It still came back with wording equivalent to 'No record found'.

Mike

Milwaukee, WY

Back on the new Illinois plates for a moment... this is what I was referring to re: the legibility of the serials, for those who may have not seen them yet:

Kind of difficult to make out...

Zoomed in:

iPhone

dzlsabe

Those sure are pretty license plates though. Why does I-41 "end" again?
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

JREwing78

Yeah, that wasn't planned out very well. I'm a little amazed that the design got approved.

I understand the desire to have a pretty license plate, but that's ridiculous.

Roadguy

That's embarrassing, the old IL plates were way better than that (actually readable).  They do just as well with their license plates as they do with their budgets...  :-D :clap:

The Ghostbuster

I've seen those 7-digit plates, and I wonder why Wisconsin hadn't adopted them sooner.

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 22, 2017, 05:46:50 PM
I've seen those 7-digit plates, and I wonder why Wisconsin hadn't adopted them sooner.

There wasn't any need. The previous format lasted almost 17 years. These things aren't changed just for the heck of it.

dvferyance

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on May 22, 2017, 06:11:55 PM

There wasn't any need. The previous format lasted almost 17 years. These things aren't changed just for the heck of it.
They should have just gone with reissuing plate numbers no longer in use. Four digits is too much.

The Ghostbuster

I suppose they could have done that, but apparently, that's not the route that was taken.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on May 25, 2017, 01:06:13 PM
Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on May 22, 2017, 06:11:55 PM

They should have just gone with reissuing plate numbers no longer in use. Four digits is too much.

Too much for whom?

tchafe1978

You don't want to start reissuing numbers because if the person who had a number previously held onto the old plates as souvenirs, they could possibly put them on another car after those numbers have been reissued to someone else, and viola! You've got two cars with the same plate numbers floating around.

on_wisconsin

Mike

I've spotted a couple AAB-XXXX series plates in the Eau Claire area in the past few weeks.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Milwaukee, WY

Saw this one last night:

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.