News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

China opens world's highest bridge (Beipanjiang Bridge)

Started by Chris, December 30, 2016, 01:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

China opened the world's highest bridge yesterday. It is the Beipanjiang Bridge, which is located on the border of Guizhou and Yunnan provinces. The bridge deck is no less than 565 m / 1,850 ft above the valley floor. This dwarfs previous highest bridges. For example, the bridge deck is over twice as high as the Millau Viaduct in France. It is part of the G56 Hangzhou - Ruili Expressway (also known as the Hangrui Expressway).

Guizhou is the epicenter of high bridges. It is claimed that this province has more bridges over 100 m / 330 ft than all other countries on earth combined. Guizhou consists entirely of highlands which are crossed by deep gorges. There are several other bridges in excess of 1,000 ft high.

US 41

Nice. China has a lot of interesting highways and bridges. You'll never see me going over there to check them out though. It's too bad that GSV is banned in China.

It looks pretty similar to this bridge (Puente Baluarte) that I still want to drive on in Mexico. I just haven't gotten the chance or had the time to get down there yet. It is the highest in North America.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

nexus73

Don't look down...LOL!  We could use some of that terrain taming technique on I-5 between Roseburg and Grants Pass in Oregon.  I wonder how many tunnels there are to go along with those bridges? 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US 41

Quote from: nexus73 on December 30, 2016, 07:48:18 PM
Don't look down...LOL!  We could use some of that terrain taming technique on I-5 between Roseburg and Grants Pass in Oregon.  I wonder how many tunnels there are to go along with those bridges? 

Rick

There are 62 tunnels along the Mexican highway. I don't know anything about the Chinese route.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

CNGL-Leudimin

There are several high bridges over the North Pan river. This one is located at Duge.
Quote from: US 41 on December 30, 2016, 03:49:32 PMIt's too bad that GSV is banned in China.

There are some Street View services that cover China, such as Baidu or Tencent (although the former has still to get out of the cities).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Chris

Just a few kilometers west of the Beipanjiang Bridge is the 485 meter (1,591 ft) high Puli Bridge. It was completed in 2015, but couldn't open until the Beipanjiang Bridge opened to traffic.

compdude787

Wow, that is quite the bridge! I guess China has hundreds of places like this that would require really high bridges.

yanksfan6129

China probably goes out of the way to build roads in the craziest places so they can claim the records for shit.

Duke87

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on January 11, 2017, 08:54:51 PM
China probably goes out of the way to build roads in the craziest places so they can claim the records for shit.

Perhaps. That said it's worth noting that this bridge has no supports *in* the gorge itself and the structural height is much less than the 1850 ft between the deck and the floor of the gorge underneath. So the height is purely a product of the location, not an engineering achievement.

That said, the 2362 ft horizontal span is impressive (albeit not record setting) for a cable stay structure.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.