News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-78

Started by bluecountry, April 16, 2023, 06:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on August 20, 2023, 04:46:56 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 20, 2023, 04:32:12 PM
Wonder if PennDOT will raise the speed limit there when done. If I'm not mistaken it's been 55 all along due to the substandard freeway conditions.
I don't recall much if the way of 55 zones on I-78 west of Allentown when I was there earlier this year outside of work zones, so maybe.  It was quite the contrast from 2016 where there was a really long and annoying 55 zone there.

I believe that it will be raised to 65, but I am not 100% sure.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

West of the turnpike was always substandard expressway not built as a freeway. At Bentleyville there was a STOP sign ( no merge lane) entering I-70 WB. In 1989 I had to wait five minutes to enter the freeway there cause way too much volume.

Some parts are even 45 mph and originally a box girder guardrail median like New York was present between New Stanton and Washington.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on August 20, 2023, 04:32:12 PM
Wonder if PennDOT will raise the speed limit there when done. If I'm not mistaken it's been 55 all along due to the substandard freeway conditions.
It's 65 except in work zones now.

Crown Victoria

Looks like the work zone signs are coming down through the MP 35-44 work zone, and the speed limit is now 65 mph. The permanent mile markers have yet to be installed.

Meanwhile, at the Schuylkill River bridge in Hamburg, it looks like traffic will shift soon to the new westbound lanes, leaving the current westbound lanes to be reconstructed next year.

74/171FAN

PennDOT's News Flash Article in Outlook today states that the reconstruction of I-78 between PA 143 (Exit 35) and PA 863 (Exit 45) is complete.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.