G28-1 California State Highway reassurance spades

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 05, 2021, 12:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

There are two variants of the California State Highway Spade in use per the latest revision to the Caltrans MUTCD.  The common California State Highway Spade is G28-2 which has "California" in the banner and is intended for reassurance use.  The alternative California State Highway Spade is G28-1 which is less ornate and intended for guide sign use.  Despite it's purpose for use on guide signs the G28-1 California State Highway Spade can be found in reassurance use through the State.  This blog looks at some of the G28-1 State Highway Spades which have found their way into use as reassurance shields.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/01/the-rogue-g28-1-california-state.html

SeriesE

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 05, 2021, 12:10:29 AM
There are two variants of the California State Highway Spade in use per the latest revision to the Caltrans MUTCD.  The common California State Highway Spade is G28-2 which has "California" in the banner and is intended for reassurance use.  The alternative California State Highway Spade is G28-1 which is less ornate and intended for guide sign use.  Despite it's purpose for use on guide signs the G28-1 California State Highway Spade can be found in reassurance use through the State.  This blog looks at some of the G28-1 State Highway Spades which have found their way into use as reassurance shields.

I remember seeing some pictures on this forums where the local government used G28-1 style shields to sign relinquished portions of a state route.

sparker

Quote from: SeriesE on January 05, 2021, 01:14:12 AM

I remember seeing some pictures on this forums where the local government used G28-1 style shields to sign relinquished portions of a state route.

IMO, that's a damn good idea; omits the entity that is not footing the bill (at least directly) for maintenance.  Someone should mention this to D4; they could re-sign former CA 84 across Fremont (which, the last time I was up in downtown Fremont a month or so ago still sported standard shields on the former Thornton/Fremont/Peralta street alignment).  They could pass out G28-1 shields to the local jurisdiction or, alternately, allow said jurisdiction to cobble up the signs themselves.  I for one wouldn't mind seeing these along CA 238; although not formally relinquished, it is virtually devoid of signage except at the 84 junction -- and anything would be an improvement! 

Max Rockatansky

I had a look on Rice Signs to see if they offered the G28-1, sadly they don't.  They do offer the G28-2 which runs about $130 for a standard width spade.  I wonder how much of a price difference the G28-1 would be?  Really I'd be on board with signing relinquished highways and important connecting routes with a budget shield variant. 

myosh_tino

Found this blog post to be quite interesting.  You're CA-14 and CA-135 shields are most definitely G28-1's but I'm not so sure about the CA-180 and CA-270 shields.  I believe the CA-270 shield is just a neutered G28-2.  The straight section on the sides of the shield are too long for it to be a G28-1.  Because I have both shields in my sign-making library, I am able to put the two shield specs side-by-side (G28-1 and a neutered G28-2)...

Note: I moved up the numerals on the G28-2 so it appears more vertically centered.

I also believe the CA-180 shield appears to be a neutered G28-2 as well because of the length of the straight section on the sides of the shield however, the width of this shield is throwing me off... to me, it's too wide... but that may be because the route number contains a "1".
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Max Rockatansky

I have noticed that the G28-1 tends to be more common in certain Caltrans Districts for whatever reason.  Some of the Districts also have some odd variations in the shape/dimensions of even the G28-2 (I've noticed this a lot in D6).  I've always kind of wondered if this somehow plays a role in what I'm seeing in field with G28-1s?  For whatever reason this does phenomenon does seem to really carry over to the G26-1 and G27-1. 

myosh_tino

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 05, 2021, 08:27:38 PM
I have noticed that the G28-1 tends to be more common in certain Caltrans Districts for whatever reason.  Some of the Districts also have some odd variations in the shape/dimensions of even the G28-2 (I've noticed this a lot in D6).  I've always kind of wondered if this somehow plays a role in what I'm seeing in field with G28-1s?  For whatever reason this does phenomenon does seem to really carry over to the G26-1 and G27-1.

If you're speaking of the more "angular" 2-digit California route shields, yes I do seem to recall seeing more of them out the in Central Valley region.  Not so much in the S.F. Bay Area.  Something else I'm seeing more and more of is the use of a smaller 3-digit shields replacing larger 2-digit shields.

And yes, I do see what you mean about the CA-270 and CA-180 shields.  Seems to me that the point on the spade isn't as sharp as what the specs say (for both guide and route marker shields).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

bing101

I notice in the Bay Area and Sacramento the G28-1 seems to only appear on city streets for a detour signs leading to the freeway. I don't see Caltrans using these signs directly though. But I seen cities use these signs for either detour reasons or to notify drivers that they are near a state route.

US Route:  G26-1
Interstate:  G27-1

Those too are usually on city streets leading up too the freeway entrance. I never see this directly on the freeways itself.

mrsman

Quote from: bing101 on January 05, 2021, 11:19:46 PM
I notice in the Bay Area and Sacramento the G28-1 seems to only appear on city streets for a detour signs leading to the freeway. I don't see Caltrans using these signs directly though. But I seen cities use these signs for either detour reasons or to notify drivers that they are near a state route.

Those too are usually on city streets leading up too the freeway entrance. I never see this directly on the freeways itself.

Is this in fact the purpose?  For streets that aren't Caltrans maintained, would they use the -1 shields as a way of wayfinding to a state highway, but -2 is used on the highways themselves.

sparker

Quote from: mrsman on January 06, 2021, 12:12:28 PM

Is this in fact the purpose?  For streets that aren't Caltrans maintained, would they use the -1 shields as a way of wayfinding to a state highway, but -2 is used on the highways themselves.

Which would make the practice of signing relinquished route segments with G28-1 shields less of an issue, as precedent for doing so for navigational purposes has already been established.   

bing101

I don't know for sure but at least when I drive around on the city streets in my area the -1 are used and Districts 3 and 4 use -2 for the roads themselves.

Max Rockatansky

Seems the G28-1s have made their way to the new Lost Hills Interchange at I-5/CA 46:

46CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

46CAb by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Scott5114

My guess is that, in some cases, someone is misreading the book, seeing "freeway use", and thinking that means to use them any time a shield refers to a freeway, even if it's an independent mount.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Worth noting; there was G27-2 Interstate reassurance shields in use at Lost Hills also.  I didn't bother with pictures given stateless Interstate shields aren't exactly uncommon elsewhere in the country.

Techknow

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 09, 2022, 06:43:32 PM
^^^

Worth noting; there was G27-2 Interstate reassurance shields in use at Lost Hills also.  I didn't bother with pictures given stateless Interstate shields aren't exactly uncommon elsewhere in the country.

It's been mentioned by andy3175 that there are stateless Interstate 5 shields in San Diego county. I seen them myself too in a trip over three years back.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.