Regional Boards > Canada

Highest km-marker in Canada (and North America)?

(1/5) > >>

oscar:
Here's a photo of km-marker 1902 along the Alaska Highway (YT 1), just east of the U.S. border, which I took in late July of this year:

The Alaska Highway used to have higher km-markers, topping out in 2001 at km 1962 about 5 km east of the U.S. border.  Since then, however, Yukon Territory re-calibrated its km-markers, to reflect realignments of the Alaska Highway in the Yukon and British Columbia.

This prompts two questions:

-- Is the new km-marker 1902 still the highest-numbered km-marker in Canada, or North America?  (I'm pretty sure that Ontario 11, which also has high-numbered km-markers, falls just a little short.)

-- If Quebec ever fills in the gap between the main and Blanc Sablon segments of QC 138, and places km-markers on the latter (there weren't any in August 2011), would it have km-markers above 1902?

Alps:
Does Quebec milepost every route? I can only recall seeing it on autoroutes and high-grade corridors. My guess is that even if the route is longer than 1902 km, it won't be mileposted. (Note: "milepost" is the verb from centuries ago, even if we're not talking miles.)

oscar:

--- Quote from: Steve on October 26, 2012, 09:13:44 PM ---Does Quebec milepost every route? I can only recall seeing it on autoroutes and high-grade corridors. My guess is that even if the route is longer than 1902 km, it won't be mileposted. (Note: "milepost" is the verb from centuries ago, even if we're not talking miles.)

--- End quote ---

QC 138 has km-posts, topping 1000, on the segment I drove last year between QC 170 and Sheldrake.

Dr Frankenstein:
Québec posts km markers on non-autoroutes only in remote areas.

AsphaltPlanet:
Ontario has started posting km markers on some of the more remote segments of Hwy 11 and 17.  The highest km post I have seen is in the 1200 range to the north end of Sault Ste. Marie.

This pic was taken north of Wawa:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version