News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania exit letters

Started by Poiponen13, September 23, 2023, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

I found some uses of exit letters in Pennsylvania on US 422 when browsing OpenStreetMap. They are in Kittanning and Indiana. What is their purpose?

Hunty2022

A = Southbound
B = Northbound

It's like any other multi-exit A-B system, just without the numbers.

That's my guess.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Mr_Northside

They're basically used on segments of freeway that don't use exit numbers (so most, but not all, non interstate freeways), but where there is a single "interchange", but with multiple exit ramps for it (like a cloverleaf, or however you'd term the interchange complex with 422 & 66 between Kittanning & Ford City)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Alps

These are also exiting State College to the north.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 23, 2023, 01:12:09 PM
They're basically used on segments of freeway that don't use exit numbers (so most, but not all, non interstate freeways), but where there is a single "interchange", but with multiple exit ramps for it (like a cloverleaf,

They are also present on US-40 @ PA-Turnpike 43.

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 23, 2023, 01:12:09 PM
or however you'd term the interchange complex with 422 & 66 between Kittanning & Ford City)

It's called a cluster fuck. LOL!  Just add the missing ramp to trumpet part on the road into Kittanning, and remove that super long bridge ramp from EB US-422/NB PA-28 -> SB PA-66, and you'll have way less maintenance costs there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.