News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PColumbus73

I was curious about I-72...

I was reading that the long-term plan is for I-72 to extend St. Joseph, but the Missouri Governor seems to be uninterested in building it. It appears counter-intuitive to me that they would be on board with creating the 110 / CKC, but not I-72.

Is Missouri just more interested in maintaining their existing system over adding new Interstate highways? But also, if they built I-49, what's the hold-back on I-72?

Sani

MoDOT has posted the design-build plans for I-70 between U.S. 63 in Columbia and U.S. 54 in Kingdom City. For Kingdom City, they didn't use any of the proposed alternatives and will instead turn the interchange into a large roundabout.

I feel like they turned the value engineering up to 11 on this one and that roundabout is going to fail pretty quickly with all the semis that exit to use the truck stops. It looks like they also dropped the improvements they were planning to make to the signalized intersection just to the south of the interchange as well. Ugh.

ilpt4u

Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 03, 2024, 12:40:48 PMI was curious about I-72...

I was reading that the long-term plan is for I-72 to extend St. Joseph, but the Missouri Governor seems to be uninterested in building it. It appears counter-intuitive to me that they would be on board with creating the 110 / CKC, but not I-72.

Is Missouri just more interested in maintaining their existing system over adding new Interstate highways? But also, if they built I-49, what's the hold-back on I-72?
According to the Post-Dispatch story referenced in the post before yours, the Missouri Senate is adding some funding for the US 67 upgrade to I-57 south of Poplar Bluff to the budget, so there is some interest in new interstate in the Show Me State

Whether said proposal survives the full budget process to reconcile the House and Senate versions, and then any potential Governor Line Item Vetos, remains to be seen

PColumbus73

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 03, 2024, 09:21:48 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 03, 2024, 12:40:48 PMI was curious about I-72...

According to the Post-Dispatch story referenced in the post before yours, the Missouri Senate is adding some funding for the US 67 upgrade to I-57 south of Poplar Bluff to the budget, so there is some interest in new interstate in the Show Me State

Whether said proposal survives the full budget process to reconcile the House and Senate versions, and then any potential Governor Line Item Vetos, remains to be seen

I guess that would imply that I-72 is simply a low priority for the state.

ilpt4u

Personally I'd rather see the AoTS Hannibal Bypass prioritized...It is a nice N-S corridor thru the country in Missouri and Iowa that bypasses a lot of the congestion on I-55 in Illinois and I-90/94 in Wisconsin. Having to drive thru Hannibal is a bit of a slow down on the current route

Disclaimer: not a Missouri resident. Live across the river in Southern Illinois

afguy

The General Assembly passed the 2025 budget for Missouri today. It includes $868 million to widen sections of I-44 around Joplin, Springfield and Rolla. It also includes $60 million to upgrade U.S. 67 to interstate standards between Poplar Bluff and Arkansas.

With Democratic help, Missouri Republicans send spending plan to Parson's desk
QuoteThe budget for the Missouri Department of Transportation includes $861 million to upgrade parts of Interstate 44 to three lanes and $60 million to transform U.S. Route 67 to interstate standards from Poplar Bluff to the Arkansas state line.

The plan calls for $100 million in spending to improve low-volume, rural roads.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/government-politics/with-democratic-help-missouri-republicans-send-spending-plan-to-parson-s-desk/article_707e7d7a-0f00-11ef-8f35-e3a9723770ef.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

mvak36

Quote from: afguy on May 10, 2024, 05:05:25 PMThe General Assembly passed the 2025 budget for Missouri today. It includes $868 million to widen sections of I-44 around Joplin, Springfield and Rolla. It also includes $60 million to upgrade U.S. 67 to interstate standards between Poplar Bluff and Arkansas.

QuoteThe budget for the Missouri Department of Transportation includes $861 million to upgrade parts of Interstate 44 to three lanes and $60 million to transform U.S. Route 67 to interstate standards from Poplar Bluff to the Arkansas state line.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/government-politics/with-democratic-help-missouri-republicans-send-spending-plan-to-parson-s-desk/article_707e7d7a-0f00-11ef-8f35-e3a9723770ef.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Looking through the text of the bill, it looks like the parts of I-44 that are getting the funding are:

• Missouri Route T (Exit 179) to MO 68 (Exit 195)
  • US160 to MO 125 (Exit 75 to Exit 88)
  • I-49 to MO 249 (Exit 11 to Exit 18)
  • Improve I-44/MO 13 interchange
  • Improve I-44/I-49 interchange
  • Other Tier 2/Tier 3 I-44 projects on Unfunded needs list

Other projects funded in the bill (pending governor's approval):
  • $1 million study for I-35/Rte BB Bridge (Exit 52)
  • $1.866 million for construction of an exit off of US50 in Lone Jack
  • $2 million for a study on the Hannibal Bypass
  • $2.5 million for a study on converting US 36 to I-72
  • $3.4 million for a study for I-70 improvements between Exits 21 and 24
  • $40 million for construction of an interchange and outer service road improvements on I-70 in Warren County (unsure where this is in the county).
  • $4.7 million for an interchange at US65 and Route B in Sedalia.
  • $20 million for I-49/Rte 58 interchange in Belton/Raymore
  • $4.2 million for U63 improvements in Columbia
  • $48 million for passing lanes on US65 in Dallas and Benton counties

I'm not sure if there are any other projects in the other budget bills. Also I'm not sure if I got the correct locations for some of the projects above. I had to look up county populations and stuff since they didn't specifically list the counties.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

PColumbus73

QuoteImprove I-44/MO 13 interchange

Improvements to the first DDI interchange? What kind of improvements are they proposing?

m2tbone

^^The Warren County interchange on I-70 is likely for Stracks Church Road which is located between Warrenton and Wright City and currently contains an overpass only.

iPad Pro

Revive 755

Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 11, 2024, 09:17:40 PMImprovements to the first DDI interchange? What kind of improvements are they proposing?

Based on https://www.modot.org/media/46859 from https://www.modot.org/interstate-44-corridor-upgrades-greene
  • A SB MO 13 to EB I-44 flyover
  • The north outer road for I-44 gets connected under MO 13 adjacent to I-44.  Access to the outer road is from a right in/right out where the existing signalized intersection is for NB MO 13, with a SB right in/right out closer to where Smith Road cuvers away from MO 13.

There should be a link to a previous study with more alternatives somewhere on the forum already.  Improvements are needed with SB MO 13 getting long backups prior to the interchange in the afternoon.

As much traffic as MO 13 gets north of I-44 IMHO there should at least be a feasibility/early stage planning study for bringing it up to a freeway probably to Bolivar.

PColumbus73

I saw another alternative that would construct a T interchange slightly west of the current interchange for north/south traffic on MO 13 getting to I-44.

It's an interesting bit of highway trivia that the first DDI in the United States could be dismantled.

afguy

Quote from: mvak36 on May 11, 2024, 11:13:53 AM
Quote from: afguy on May 10, 2024, 05:05:25 PMThe General Assembly passed the 2025 budget for Missouri today. It includes $868 million to widen sections of I-44 around Joplin, Springfield and Rolla. It also includes $60 million to upgrade U.S. 67 to interstate standards between Poplar Bluff and Arkansas.

Looking through the text of the bill, it looks like the parts of I-44 that are getting the funding are:

• $40 million for construction of an interchange and outer service road improvements on I-70 in Warren County (unsure where this is in the county).

I'm not sure if there are any other projects in the other budget bills. Also I'm not sure if I got the correct locations for some of the projects above. I had to look up county populations and stuff since they didn't specifically list the counties.

Of all the projects and studies that are funded under this budget, I could see Parsons vetoing money for the I-72 study. He did so last year and quite frankly, U.S. 36 is fine as is.

sprjus4

Quote from: afguy on May 12, 2024, 03:49:34 PM

Of all the projects and studies that are funded under this budget, I could see Parsons vetoing money for the I-72 study. He did so last year and quite frankly, U.S. 36 is fine as is.
I don't see an issue with a study... let a study identify needs on the corridor & establish a long term vision, and prioritize what's needed. If it is "quite frankly fine", then the study can identify that.

ozarkman417

If MoDOT builds a flyover from SB Route 13 to EB I-44.. that new Take 5 car wash may or may not be in the way. If it is, good riddance. The amount of new car washes constructed in Springfield these past couple of years is ridiculous.

74/171FAN

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 12, 2024, 06:13:35 PMIf MoDOT builds a flyover from SB Route 13 to EB I-44.. that new Take 5 car wash may or may not be in the way. If it is, good riddance. The amount of new car washes constructed in Springfield these past couple of years is ridiculous.

Car wash mania seems to be all over the place these days.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 12, 2024, 06:49:41 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 12, 2024, 06:13:35 PMIf MoDOT builds a flyover from SB Route 13 to EB I-44.. that new Take 5 car wash may or may not be in the way. If it is, good riddance. The amount of new car washes constructed in Springfield these past couple of years is ridiculous.

[/qlone.
You aren't kidding. Everytime I come back to OKC once every 4-6 months or so I see a new car wash.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 12, 2024, 09:16:06 PM

You aren't kidding. Everytime I come back to OKC once every 4-6 months or so I see a new car wash.
I bet quite a few of them are money laundering schemes.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 12, 2024, 09:20:58 PM

It is so funny you mention that. I've thought of that myself. I even joked with a cousin of mine that breaking bad gave me that idea.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 13, 2024, 06:01:17 PM

It is so funny you mention that. I've thought of that myself. I even joked with a cousin of mine that breaking bad gave me that idea.
I'm getting the same feeling about them as I do Mattress Firm.
—Mr. Thwomp

mvak36

https://www.myozarksonline.com/missouri-general-assembly-approved-fy-2025-budget/

I missed this, but apparently the budget also has $53 million for I-29/I-35 improvements.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 13, 2024, 08:05:07 PM

I'm sorry i'm not really sure I follow. I don't know what's going on with mattress firm. Interestingly, enough mattresses used to be locally produced until we went global and now things are shipped across continents. Now you can get a mattress from mozambique. I don't know what's up with that. But I don't have time to be buying mattresses from Mozambique.

Revive 755

Would be better IMHO to put the funds for this one into updating the studies of the Sedalia bypass for US 65 - which IIRC was going to be to the west per the EIS for the unbuilt US 50 improvements.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 13, 2024, 09:46:41 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 13, 2024, 08:05:07 PM

I'm sorry i'm not really sure I follow. I don't know what's going on with mattress firm. Interestingly, enough mattresses used to be locally produced until we went global and now things are shipped across continents. Now you can get a mattress from mozambique. I don't know what's up with that. But I don't have time to be buying mattresses from Mozambique.
I heard people say that Mattress Firm having over 3000 locations is a sign that they're a front for some shady business. The truth is much more benign, though: they acquired many competitors and converted their locations to Mattress Firm.
—Mr. Thwomp

afguy

City council approves application for federal funds for I-57

QuoteWith $60 million in the Missouri legislature's budget for Highway 67's future status as Interstate 57, the Poplar Bluff City Council is seeking a grant from the federal Multimodal Project Discretionary Grant Program.

"This funding will still have to be debated on the Senate floor and approved in the final budget," City Manager Matt Winters clarified.

At the time of this article, the funding has been passed through both the senate and the house.

In a proactive effort, he asked the council to seek federal funding from the MPDGP to augment state resources. The request totals nearly $91.3 million. Winters explained this amount will finish phases one through four of the expansion effort.

If the state approves the $60 million and the MPDGP accepts the grant application, the I-57 project would be fully funded. Current obligations for the second half of phase one total $182 million.

"Arkansas is going to have theirs done if we don't hurry," council member Mark Massingham said before motioning to move the matter to a vote. The council unanimously approved the measure.

Bill Robison of Smith and Co. Engineers and chairman of the Highway 67 Corporation stated the federal funds would accelerate the timeline of completion dramatically.

"We've been applying for federal funding for years now," he said.

While inflation has delayed some aspects of the project, Robison is confident the grant would help complete I-57 to the Arkansas border.
https://www.darnews.com/story/3040266.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.