News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Don't Google Street View cars normally have a ton of Google Maps branding on them?  Just saw one today, and it definitely stood out for reasons not including the camera.

So check street view in a few months.  You might just find the NYSDOT parking lot in it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CNGL-Leudimin

I had not seen more that four Google Cars in a single shot before.

I remember in the first imagery they published of I-238 there was a huge tall thing near the I-580 interchange. I don't know what they were doing with that...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: vdeane on August 30, 2016, 01:39:58 PM
Don't Google Street View cars normally have a ton of Google Maps branding on them?  Just saw one today, and it definitely stood out for reasons not including the camera.
Yes, but the ones in the link appear to have been the older ones before Google started putting their branding all over the cars. IIRC, they used to just have a magnet that said "Google Maps" or something like that on the sides.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Mr. Matté

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 30, 2016, 10:12:35 PM
Yes, but the ones in the link appear to have been the older ones before Google started putting their branding all over the cars. IIRC, they used to just have a magnet that said "Google Maps" or something like that on the sides.

No, that's the Philly PD:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Philadelphia-Police-Van-Disguised-as-Google-Maps-Vehicle-379418411.html

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 30, 2016, 10:39:22 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 30, 2016, 10:12:35 PM

No, that's the Philly PD:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Philadelphia-Police-Van-Disguised-as-Google-Maps-Vehicle-379418411.html
Not just them. Here are some legitimate Street View cars that had just a "Google Maps" label on the sides, though from when they were gathering Street View up through 2010, it appears:

Source for above.

Source for above.

Source for above.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

KG909

~Fuccboi

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kkt

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 05, 2016, 03:32:50 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/tBBUg5yTv1B2

2 to beam up.

Wow, Google is so careful to blur anything that looks like a face, like the letters A and E, but they didn't blur those actual faces?

vdeane

Do they blur photo spheres?  I'm pretty sure those are user-uploaded, not done by Google.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

7/8

Quote from: vdeane on September 07, 2016, 05:43:22 PM
Do they blur photo spheres?  I'm pretty sure those are user-uploaded, not done by Google.

I don't think they blur faces on photo spheres, which is why you can see their faces here (I've seen many photo-spheres, given how much I love Google Maps!)

Scott5114

It might be a good idea to post screenshots of anything really unusual that you find instead of just a link. Some of the images on previous pages (one of an accident, one of cars driving through flooding) have been taken down.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 41

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 20, 2013, 12:45:21 PM
Quote from: BamaZeus on December 20, 2013, 12:35:05 PM
It's gone now, but the all-time greatest one was the one with the two guys swordfighting in Pittsburgh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000873/Google-Street-View-spots-Samurai-warriors-duelling-Pittsburgh.html

If you put it in the right spot, you can still see those guys:

http://goo.gl/maps/Gui45

Seems like Google has added the original surrounding images back.
https://goo.gl/maps/NNs1zVuph9D2
https://goo.gl/maps/WRwQydZhviS2
https://goo.gl/maps/znk282A1hoQ2
https://goo.gl/maps/heUkzSwgPEo

So, grab your screenshots while you can guys!

doorknob60

I found myself walking on the sidewalk. I remembered walking past the car (it was at a stoplight, so it only got one picture of me, my back) so a few weeks ago I looked in that spot and sure enough, there I was. Not going to post it, for obvious privacy reasons.

froggie

noelbotevera

Also, Google has the whole town of Pripyat in GSV! Look!

(I'm guessing the driver later died of radiation shortly after)

SignGeek101

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 15, 2017, 05:14:44 PM
(I'm guessing the driver later died of radiation shortly after)

Radiation levels are not that high, though I believe there is a recommendation for people visiting to not be in radioactive contact for more than a few hours (or a day?, something like that anyway).

In fact, there are still people who live within the exclusion zone permanently, though of course, that is not recommended:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/04/18/world/defying-radiation-elderly-residents-cling-on-in-chernobyl-exclusion-zone/#.WHv_3lUrLIU

kphoger

Quote from: doorknob60 on January 11, 2017, 06:24:59 PM
I found myself walking on the sidewalk. I remembered walking past the car (it was at a stoplight, so it only got one picture of me, my back) so a few weeks ago I looked in that spot and sure enough, there I was. Not going to post it, for obvious privacy reasons.

Am I the only one to whom the privacy reasons are not obvious?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

doorknob60

Quote from: kphoger on January 16, 2017, 01:53:48 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on January 11, 2017, 06:24:59 PM

Am I the only one to whom the privacy reasons are not obvious?

Seems like a bad idea to link a picture of myself (with a location I might walk) to my semi-anonymous online avatar. I don't have any other pictures of myself publicly accessible online attached to this name (though plenty of other information), I don't need to add a final piece to the puzzle. A bit paranoid? Sure. But I'd rather not take the chance, once something's on the internet, it's there for good.

kphoger

Hmm.  I understand people not posting their exactly home location, but it was just hard to wrap my head around not wanting to people see where you were walking at an unknown time on an unknown date in a particular month.

(FWIW, where we live is generally a matter of public record, so I'm not all that concerned.  You can figure out my name from my username, and it's super easy to find out my address online.  The only possible issue I could see is that we often post on here when we're going on a trip, so  throwing our address out there ahead of time might be a bad idea.  However, we put ourselves at far more risk by posting pictures of our trips on Facebook, letting people who already know where we live learn firsthand that we're gone for the week.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

Dusting this thread off for an oddity I found today:

It appears that, this past October, one of the GMSV camera vehicles snagged a tree branch in D.C. which then became lodged/stuck to the camera pole. This was apparently missed by Google's QC folks, as the partially leaf-blocked imagery made it onto GMSV. You can see it starting at 3rd and L NE, heading up 3rd to Florida, then westbound along Florida to New York Ave, then eastbound along New York Ave to 4th St NE.

The start of it from 3rd and L NE here.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on January 16, 2017, 02:44:42 PMYou can figure out my name from my username

Kilometers per hour ogre?

So all this "nice" is just a brute-force facade for getting the US on the metric system?

Quote from: kphoger on January 16, 2017, 02:44:42 PM
(However, we put ourselves at far more risk by posting pictures of our trips on Facebook, letting people who already know where we live learn firsthand that we're gone for the week.)

Always post the pics after the vacation.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: froggie on April 05, 2017, 03:00:49 PM
Dusting this thread off for an oddity I found today:

It appears that, this past October, one of the GMSV camera vehicles snagged a tree branch in D.C. which then became lodged/stuck to the camera pole. This was apparently missed by Google's QC folks, as the partially leaf-blocked imagery made it onto GMSV. You can see it starting at 3rd and L NE, heading up 3rd to Florida, then westbound along Florida to New York Ave, then eastbound along New York Ave to 4th St NE.

The start of it from 3rd and L NE here.

I've seen that quite a bit elsewhere.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.