News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Suggestions and Questions / Re: NEW features
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 04:23:06 PM
Quote from: kphoger on Today at 03:55:51 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 26, 2024, 02:31:11 PMQuick reply...awesome.

Am I missing something?  Where is this quick reply of which you speak?

For me, right below the last post in a thread.
Last post by rickmastfan67 - Today at 04:14:50 PM
Quote from: kphoger on Today at 03:53:36 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 27, 2024, 12:11:37 PM
Quote from: Voyager on March 27, 2024, 12:08:14 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 27, 2024, 11:16:17 AM
Quote from: IMGoph on March 27, 2024, 11:07:06 AMThere used to be a little "NEW" icon next to each post that was new since the last time I had viewed a thread. I don't see that anymore. Is that something that can be brought back in some way (or is there a setting I need to change on my end to make that happen)?

Thanks!

Soon hopefully, since it's a thing that has to be modified in the theme files to bring back. Just have to figure out how to do that.

It used to just be a toggle on/off setting in the admin panel way back when (might still be?) I think it was in the notification settings.

No, it's not.  You have to mod the theme files to add it inside of threads.

For me personally, this is the most important thing missing.  I rely heavily on the [NEW] tags.

I will try to figure out how to get it back, but there's no guarantees, as the files are setup completely different now.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by jdbx - Today at 04:09:18 PM
When you consider the cost of materials and labor alone, it is difficult to imagine a bridge of this size being completed for less than a billion dollars. Design rules, environmental rules, and construction best practices have all evolved since the original structure was built. I would expect closer to $2BB by the time construction is finished. It is difficult to understate just how quickly costs can balloon over time, especially if design revisions and change orders become necessary.
Off-Topic / Re: How do you define the Midw...
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 03:59:04 PM
Saw this on Twitter. If you had to divide the country up with three straight lines...

I like the movie cars where when The main character was in the back of the pick up truck and they were driving all the way from. I think it was Indianapolis or maybe Daytona I can't remember they were driving West to Los Angeles and every single interstate they were on with three lanes each way.
Last post by kphoger - Today at 03:55:51 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 26, 2024, 02:31:11 PMQuick reply...awesome.

Am I missing something?  Where is this quick reply of which you speak?
Last post by kphoger - Today at 03:53:36 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 27, 2024, 12:11:37 PM
Quote from: Voyager on March 27, 2024, 12:08:14 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 27, 2024, 11:16:17 AM
Quote from: IMGoph on March 27, 2024, 11:07:06 AMThere used to be a little "NEW" icon next to each post that was new since the last time I had viewed a thread. I don't see that anymore. Is that something that can be brought back in some way (or is there a setting I need to change on my end to make that happen)?

Thanks!

Soon hopefully, since it's a thing that has to be modified in the theme files to bring back. Just have to figure out how to do that.

It used to just be a toggle on/off setting in the admin panel way back when (might still be?) I think it was in the notification settings.

No, it's not.  You have to mod the theme files to add it inside of threads.

For me personally, this is the most important thing missing.  I rely heavily on the [NEW] tags.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 03:52:59 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on Today at 03:40:48 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on Today at 09:35:17 AMSo, how much is this going to cost to fix? Hundreds of millions or billions?

It would never be under a billion in this economy...

I don't even know what that means.
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 03:47:17 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 03:42:47 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 03:31:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 01:36:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 08:19:41 AMMy dad and I witnessed a shooting leaving a Tigers game in Detroit (where I'm originally from) during the mid-1980s.  I still go back to visit, I don't recall ever having bringing it up in the forum.  I would hazard a guess that Detroit has been by far the more crime prone city compared to San Francisco in living memory. 

When I hear vague stories like about crime in San Francisco it makes me curious as to what people are referring.  Generally it is something about the homeless in conjunction with someone publicly peeing or defecating. Homeless people and someone publicly relieving themselves isn't high on the echelon of scary things I personally find scary or even off putting.

I can't fathom what a homeless person would do to an able bodied person like myself other than an attempt at panhandling.  It isn't exactly simple to find a publicly available restroom in any city in California let alone San Francisco.  Considering how much I have had to relieve myself on remote public roads or even during distance runs I guess that I can sympathize with the problem there. 
Well, this is anecdotal I've been frequenting San Francisco for a decade now and it's been noticeably worse since the pandemic. A lot of retailers have closed and yes, you could attribute that to the pandemic, but they've also attribute it to an increased and retail theft so there's more to it. But some of the things I've witnessed since 2020 just in the last few years I've never seen in the five years leading up to it. In fact, I rarely saw crime at all.

The only civilian agency in California I've not had issues prosecuting misdemeanor shoplifting cases was Riverside County Sheriff.  Most agencies (especially cities) have always been pushy about picking up anything that wasn't a felony.  While that mindset is not something I particularly agree with it is one I've dealt with in the state since 2007. 

Even still, outside of what I do daily I tend to not really think about retail theft when I go places.  Probably doesn't hurt in my case that I despise shopping in general and do what I can to avoid it.  I'm certainly not visiting a store when I go visit a city like San Francisco. 
I think it's pretty well-known the issues San Francisco is facing. I'll shop pretty much every city I go to. I'm sure San Francisco will bounce back but for me and what I've witnessed it's just pretty different from the city I knew before the pandemic. Selfishly, I'm hoping property prices go down so I can afford to buy my own row house somewhere along Golden Gate Park, but I'm not holding my breath.

The stance of district attorneys on retail theft seems to sway from extreme to the other over time.  The National Retail Foundation has done a considerable amount of lobbying in San Francisco for prosecuting shoplifting to be taken seriously.  That lobbying didn't really seem to work out and a lot of retailers left.  I suspect eventually things will start to reverse and head the other direction given money tends to do a lot talking. 

Then again, it would be fair to mention that police response to shoplifting varied greatly in other states I've worked.  Scottsdale was big on trying to convince us to let misdemeanor cases walk also.  They often made us hold onto detainees for two-four hours or just flat out told us they weren't going to show.  That is probably not the popular perception one has of an Arizonan city.  The city DA actually met with me once and spelled it out clearly that they viewed prosecution misdemeanor theft cases as a waste of time. 
Hey, a silver lining of all this may be that some of San Francisco shopping may go back to the old days where it wasn't all glitzy an upscale. I wasn't to experience it so I can't say exactly how it was. But I do enjoy some of the more unique and quirky shops.
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 03:42:47 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 03:31:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 01:36:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 08:19:41 AMMy dad and I witnessed a shooting leaving a Tigers game in Detroit (where I'm originally from) during the mid-1980s.  I still go back to visit, I don't recall ever having bringing it up in the forum.  I would hazard a guess that Detroit has been by far the more crime prone city compared to San Francisco in living memory. 

When I hear vague stories like about crime in San Francisco it makes me curious as to what people are referring.  Generally it is something about the homeless in conjunction with someone publicly peeing or defecating. Homeless people and someone publicly relieving themselves isn't high on the echelon of scary things I personally find scary or even off putting.

I can't fathom what a homeless person would do to an able bodied person like myself other than an attempt at panhandling.  It isn't exactly simple to find a publicly available restroom in any city in California let alone San Francisco.  Considering how much I have had to relieve myself on remote public roads or even during distance runs I guess that I can sympathize with the problem there. 
Well, this is anecdotal I've been frequenting San Francisco for a decade now and it's been noticeably worse since the pandemic. A lot of retailers have closed and yes, you could attribute that to the pandemic, but they've also attribute it to an increased and retail theft so there's more to it. But some of the things I've witnessed since 2020 just in the last few years I've never seen in the five years leading up to it. In fact, I rarely saw crime at all.

The only civilian agency in California I've not had issues prosecuting misdemeanor shoplifting cases was Riverside County Sheriff.  Most agencies (especially cities) have always been pushy about picking up anything that wasn't a felony.  While that mindset is not something I particularly agree with it is one I've dealt with in the state since 2007. 

Even still, outside of what I do daily I tend to not really think about retail theft when I go places.  Probably doesn't hurt in my case that I despise shopping in general and do what I can to avoid it.  I'm certainly not visiting a store when I go visit a city like San Francisco. 
I think it's pretty well-known the issues San Francisco is facing. I'll shop pretty much every city I go to. I'm sure San Francisco will bounce back but for me and what I've witnessed it's just pretty different from the city I knew before the pandemic. Selfishly, I'm hoping property prices go down so I can afford to buy my own row house somewhere along Golden Gate Park, but I'm not holding my breath.

The stance of district attorneys on retail theft seems to sway from extreme to the other over time.  The National Retail Foundation has done a considerable amount of lobbying in San Francisco for prosecuting shoplifting to be taken seriously.  That lobbying didn't really seem to work out and a lot of retailers left.  I suspect eventually things will start to reverse and head the other direction given money tends to do a lot talking. 

Then again, it would be fair to mention that police response to shoplifting varied greatly in other states I've worked.  Scottsdale was big on trying to convince us to let misdemeanor cases walk also.  They often made us hold onto detainees for two-four hours or just flat out told us they weren't going to show.  That is probably not the popular perception one has of an Arizonan city.  The city DA actually met with me once and spelled it out clearly that they viewed prosecution misdemeanor theft cases as a waste of time. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.