News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Scajaquada Expressway

Started by Roadgeek Adam, June 28, 2015, 08:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexandriaVA

Does the LOS model presume that the same amount of people would try to use that highway? I expect that people would find other routes at that point. These fears are usually overblown anyway.

Alps

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on September 21, 2015, 05:52:26 PM
Does the LOS model presume that the same amount of people would try to use that highway? I expect that people would find other routes at that point. These fears are usually overblown anyway.
Not really easy to find alternate routes during rush hour. And let me be clear - while the LOS model is inexact and I can basically guarantee traffic won't look exactly like what they predict, the LOS model is the best estimate of future performance. It will deviate one way or the other, but your assessment that "this won't be as bad as they say" (summarizing, I believe, your sentiments) is saying the deviation will be toward the good end. We just don't know. It could be even worse than they think.

Source: I'm a traffic engineer. I work with this stuff every day. They're not doing this to promote fear. This is an honest engineering assessment of anticipated performance.

AlexandriaVA

Just wasn't sure the the model encapsulates. Certainly some people would bundle trips elsewhere (instead of going to grocery store A, they go to grocery store B in a different direction on a different route). If the road is a commuter road, then maybe options are less fixed (you can only go to your office to work, not some other guy's!)

cl94

Having spoken with the people at the MPO who made the model, the model is conservative. LOS F is almost certain if it goes to two lanes or the speed limit drops to 30. The model shown here was completed approximately 2 months before the accident and I was one of the few to view it before June. As we have seen in practice, rush hours are LOS F since the speed limit dropped.

Alternatives 2, 2A and 3A were preferred prior to this crap happening and remain preferred. The MPO included Alternatives 4 and 4A to quiet the opponents.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on September 22, 2015, 11:53:49 AM
Having spoken with the people at the MPO who made the model, the model is conservative. LOS F is almost certain if it goes to two lanes or the speed limit drops to 30. The model shown here was completed approximately 2 months before the accident and I was one of the few to view it before June. As we have seen in practice, rush hours are LOS F since the speed limit dropped.

Alternatives 2, 2A and 3A were preferred prior to this crap happening and remain preferred. The MPO included Alternatives 4 and 4A to quiet the opponents.

Between you and me, I prefer Alternative 1A, not because I want to be an asshole, but because it works best to move traffic around. But as we know there is a snowball's chance in hell that it will happen.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Duke87

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on September 21, 2015, 07:13:40 PM
Just wasn't sure the the model encapsulates. Certainly some people would bundle trips elsewhere (instead of going to grocery store A, they go to grocery store B in a different direction on a different route). If the road is a commuter road, then maybe options are less fixed (you can only go to your office to work, not some other guy's!)

Even with commuting, though, there is long term inelasticity. A horrible commute may be a contributing factor to someone seeking a new job and quitting their current one. And when looking to buy a home or rent an apartment, someone may be less likely to consider one where the commute would involve the troubled road.

The thing is, this would take years to sort itself out. Close a well-traveled road and it's naturally going to cause havoc in the short term. In the long term, congestion will likely improve somewhat.

Of course, one should not conflate lack of congestion with mobility. A lower speed road is still a lower speed road even at LOS A and that has implications for how long it takes to get places.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buffaboy

Quote from: vdeane on October 26, 2015, 05:39:09 PM
Looks like the crosswalks will wait a few more months. http://wivb.com/2015/10/23/scajaquada-crosswalk-plans-suspended/

As for the rest of the work being done, could you imagine what it would be like if highway construction was prioritized like this, needing to move as quickly as possible to get a new highway in? I can't fathom it.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

Mergingtraffic

so on a road where someone was killed (actually on the side...way off to the side....like 60 feet off to the side) they now want to put people in the middle of it?!  Kinda makes no sense if you take a step back and look at it.  You'd think they'd press for bigger barriers between the road and the park.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 26, 2015, 09:31:51 PM
so on a road where someone was killed (actually on the side...way off to the side....like 60 feet off to the side) they now want to put people in the middle of it?!  Kinda makes no sense if you take a step back and look at it.  You'd think they'd press for bigger barriers between the road and the park.

As I've been saying for months, it's all to push an agenda. The rich people have wanted crosswalks for a while and they fund the politicians. Some of Cuomo's biggest donors live in the neighborhood.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on October 26, 2015, 10:22:01 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 26, 2015, 09:31:51 PM

As I've been saying for months, it's all to push an agenda. The rich people have wanted crosswalks for a while and they fund the politicians. Some of Cuomo's biggest donors live in the neighborhood.

I have seen Ryan in person, and a relative knew him. He $eems to be fueled by the money, and/or is just blissfully unaware of the public will and intends to be subservient to the Cuomo administration.

Notice also that it's not just "suburbanites" looking to zip through the city. People in the city utilize the Scajacquada to get from say, Hamlin Park to Wegmans. And honestly with the amount of time that they want to add to such a commute, it could mean thawed and melting ice cream!

froggie

Quoteit could mean thawed and melting ice cream!

Dubious claim, at best.  Any grocery shopper with half a clue knows how to prevent such, regardless of the time spent on the grocery drive.

vdeane

Anything more complicated than "just stick the bags in the trunk" is more than I'd think to do.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buffaboy

Quote from: froggie on October 27, 2015, 07:47:42 AM

Dubious claim, at best.  Any grocery shopper with half a clue knows how to prevent such, regardless of the time spent on the grocery drive.

It's extreme, but I'm sure there would be complications that would arise from a journey along this route.

Duke87

Quote from: froggie on October 27, 2015, 07:47:42 AM

Quote from: vdeane on October 27, 2015, 12:50:07 PM
Anything more complicated than "just stick the bags in the trunk" is more than I'd think to do.

There's always the strategy of "don't buy ice cream at a time and place where it will melt before you get home". If your current trip cuts it close enough that the few extra minutes added by the downgrade of NY 198 risks pushing it over the edge, the logical conclusion is that you need to find somewhere closer to home to buy ice cream. Depending on your travel patterns this may make your grocery shopping less convenient and/or more expensive, but you do what you gotta do.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Now they're removing the paths that were to go to those crosswalks: http://wivb.com/2015/10/27/dot-removes-brand-new-path/

route17fan

So, how is it pronounced? I have heard:

Sack-a-juh-way-uh

and

Skuh-jack-wa-duh

I was always thinking 'skaj-a-kwaduh' with a hard j.  :-D   watch it be none of the above.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Buffaboy

Quote from: route17fan on October 28, 2015, 06:30:02 PM
So, how is it pronounced? I have heard:

Sack-a-juh-way-uh

and

Skuh-jack-wa-duh

I was always thinking 'skaj-a-kwaduh' with a hard j.  :-D   watch it be none of the above.

I've (and most people I know) call it the second one. Like the Schuylkill, I can spell Scajacquada correctly without having a spell check.

route17fan

Very good - noted for future reference. Thank you
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Buffaboy

They had a meeting about this again. I wonder what was discussed.

Not looking forward to this downgrade!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.