News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Vertical One Way signs being phased out?

Started by peterj920, September 10, 2015, 06:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

In my home state of Wisconsin, the DOT always used vertical one way signs and never used the horizontal arrow.  In the last year, all of the new one way signs are exclusively horizontal arrows.  I've traveled to other surrounding states, and I'm noticing that they're also going with horizontal arrows also.  MUTCD still lists the vertical one way sign, but on examples of posting one way signs, they only show horizontal signs being used.  Is anyone else noticing more horizontal one way signs?

Revive 755

Illinois seems to be using the horizontal version more for interchanges.  Otherwise it seems to be up to whoever does the plans.

Brian556

The horizontal one is way better. The vertical one is too similar to other signs, and could easily be overlooked.

realjd

I've always liked the pointy ones that they use sometimes in California.

This made me think: does anywhere in the US other than Puerto Rico use a two headed one way sign to indicate a two way road?

US71

Quote from: realjd on September 10, 2015, 10:20:52 PM

This made me think: does anywhere in the US other than Puerto Rico use a two headed one way sign to indicate a two way road?

Shreveport, LA
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

J N Winkler

Quote from: Brian556 on September 10, 2015, 07:42:00 PMThe horizontal one is way better. The vertical one is too similar to other signs, and could easily be overlooked.

Amen.  I got chewed out years ago by a taxi driver in Pittsburgh when I failed to see a vertical-format sign amid all the others at a stoplight (Pennsylvania is really bad for sign clutter) and turned the wrong way down a one-way street.

Quote from: realjd on September 10, 2015, 10:20:52 PMI've always liked the pointy ones that they use sometimes in California.

Those pointy signs (as well as other Caltrans heirlooms you see near them, such as one-line "WRONG WAY" in Series D or two-line "WRONG WAY" in Series F) are disappearing since they are no longer in the California MUTCD.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

spooky

The Massachusetts Amendments to the MUTCD specify that the R6-1 horizontal sign should be used at locations where the one-way street comes into the intersection, and the R6-2 vertical sign should be used where the one-way street goes away from the intersection.

Mohkfry

INDOT Northwest still uses both. Verticals tends to be used on one way roads where they interest another one way roads. Horizontal one way signs are used for about everything else. The greatest example of this is the stretch of US 20 Westbound in Gary Indiana between Broadway (SR 53) and Grant Street (SR 55).

Can't post the street view since I'm on a phone right now.

TravelingBethelite

I've never seen a vertical one here in Connecticut. There's still a ton of the horizontal ones, and new ones still go up at interchanges in my area at a rate of 2-3 in a year.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

DaBigE

Quote from: peterj920 on September 10, 2015, 06:59:34 PM
In my home state of Wisconsin, the DOT always used vertical one way signs and never used the horizontal arrow.  In the last year, all of the new one way signs are exclusively horizontal arrows.

That maybe true in your area, but definitely not statewide. The horizontal version has been in use (or in the standard plate book) since roughly 2010, mainly for use at roundabouts, supplementing the roundabout chevrons. Interestingly, the plate book description for the horizontal version is "One way for roundabouts", however it's now shown as a part of various divided highway details (mounted above Stop or Yield signs).

The vertical one way sign is still alive and kicking in Wisconsin and I've heard nothing to indicate they're abandoning it. The general rule of thumb is when the One Way sign is mounted above any other signs, they'll typically use the horizontal version, but when mounted below another sign (e.g., below the left-side Yield sign at a roundabout) or mounted independently, they'll typically use the vertical version.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

cl94

New York still uses the vertical signs extensively. They were always (and still are) limited to places with limited space. One of the recent Region 5 replacement projects installed them.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

txstateends

Quote from: US71 on September 10, 2015, 11:43:12 PM
Quote from: realjd on September 10, 2015, 10:20:52 PM

Shreveport, LA

The downtown area of Fort Worth has two-ways attached to the street-name sign on the signal mast arm at some intersections.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

txstateends

O
In my home state of Wisconsin, the DOT always used vertical one way signs and never used the horizontal arrow.  In the last year, all of the new one way signs are exclusively horizontal arrows.  I've traveled to other surrounding states, and I'm noticing that they're also going with horizontal arrows also.  MUTCD still lists the vertical one way sign, but on examples of posting one way 0signs, they only show horizontal signs being used.  Is anyone else noticing more horizontal one way signs?

I'm starting to see a greater use of verticals in parts of the Dallas-Fort Worth area, more so than horizontals.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

peterj920

Quote from: DaBigE on September 11, 2015, 09:13:59 AM
In my home state of Wisconsin, the DOT always used vertical one way signs and never used the horizontal arrow.  In the last year, all of the new one way signs are exclusively horizontal arrows.

That maybe true in your area, but definitely not statewide. The horizontal version has been in use (or in the standard plate book) since roughly 2010, mainly for use at roundabouts, supplementing the roundabout chevrons. Interestingly, the plate book description for the horizontal version is "One way for roundabouts", however it's now shown as a part of various divided highway details (mounted above Stop or Yield signs).

The vertical one way sign is still alive and kicking in Wisconsin and I've heard nothing to indicate they're abandoning it. The general rule of thumb is when the One Way sign is mounted above any other signs, they'll typically use the horizontal version, but when mounted below another sign (e.g., below the left-side Yield sign at a roundabout) or mounted independently, they'll typically use the vertical version.

I drove down US 10, US 51, and Wis 29 in the last month and the vertical one way signs were removed, and the one way signs were posted exact to the MUTCD Figure 2B-16.  There are still plenty of vertical one way signs out there but I've noticed that they're being replaced with horizontal one way signs when the signs are being replaced. 

DaBigE

Quote from: peterj920 on September 11, 2015, 04:38:20 PM

I drove down US 10, US 51, and Wis 29 in the last month and the vertical one way signs were removed, and the one way signs were posted exact to the MUTCD Figure 2B-16.  There are still plenty of vertical one way signs out there but I've noticed that they're being replaced with horizontal one way signs when the signs are being replaced.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16071.msg2081794#msg2081794

I thought this discussion seemed familiar... :hmmm:

cjk374

I think that Ruston, LA has the largest number of one way streets per capita. It seems like every other street is one way. That being said, the vertical sign is used the most on the city streets (both DOTD & city-maintained streets). The horizontal sign is used mostly at the I-20 exit ramps.

When US 167 was widened state wide between 2010 and 2012, the horizontal sign was always used at rural intersections. In the towns where US 167 was widened and remained divided (Bernice comes to mind), the vertical sign was used at all intersections in town.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

roadfro

Nevada favors the horizontal one way arrow. That is all that NDOT uses, and what is installed in most applications. There are some examples or the vertical sign, but these are usually in downtown areas and are older installations.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

steviep24

New York City, the land of one way streets, uses mostly horizontal signs.

Here in western NY I haven't seen a vertical one way street sign in years on public roads. I'll see them occasionally on private property though.

1995hoo

The vertical signs are extremely common in Washington DC and are frequently posted below traffic lights, bearing in mind in DC it is extremely unusual to see lights on an arm or span wire (the vast majority are on a pole to the side of the intersection).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cl94

Quote from: steviep24 on September 12, 2015, 08:20:56 AM
New York City, the land of one way streets, uses mostly horizontal signs.

Here in western NY I haven't seen a vertical one way street sign in years on public roads. I'll see them occasionally on private property though.

Buffalo and Niagara Falls have a ton. Region 5 uses them almost exclusively in urban areas.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

JMAN_WiS&S

In the eau Claire Area, I only know of a few horizontal one way signs. Almost all are vertical. I've only ever seen horizontal one ways at a roundabout by UW eau Claire. The roundabout nearest me has vertical one way signs mounted below the yield signs, and used to have vertical one way signs mounted below the chevrons in the center island, but after the took the curb out of the truck apron and made it a true flatter apron, they removed the chevrons and one way signs in the island. Vertical one way signs are extremely common at marginalized intersections at divided highways.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

peterj920

Quote from: JMAN12343610 on September 14, 2015, 10:14:56 PM

In the eau Claire Area, I only know of a few horizontal one way signs. Almost all are vertical. I've only ever seen horizontal one ways at a roundabout by UW eau Claire. The roundabout nearest me has vertical one way signs mounted below the yield signs, and used to have vertical one way signs mounted below the chevrons in the center island, but after the took the curb out of the truck apron and made it a true flatter apron, they removed the chevrons and one way signs in the island. Vertical one way signs are extremely common at marginalized intersections at divided highways.

They are common now but I'm seeing them removed and replaced with horizontal signs.  There still are a lot of vertical one way signs on divided highways, but WISDOT is replacing them with horizontal One Way signs.  Just find in fascinating that WISDOT used them exclusively, now the only place that they may be used is underneath a yield sign when approaching a roundabout.  I forgot about those placements.  Those are the only vertical one way signs I've seen installed by WISDOT in the last year. 

DaBigE

Quote from: peterj920 on September 15, 2015, 08:47:05 PM
There still are a lot of vertical one way signs on divided highways, but WISDOT is replacing them with horizontal One Way signs.  Just find in fascinating that WISDOT used them exclusively, now the only place that they may be used is underneath a yield sign when approaching a roundabout.  I forgot about those placements.  Those are the only vertical one way signs I've seen installed by WISDOT in the last year.

According to whom? Just observation you have made or is it information directly from WisDOT? I'm very curious to know, as I have not seen nor heard of such wide-sweeping directives having been released from WisDOT in the FDM, TGM, or MUTCD Supplement. The horizontal (R6-1) is selectively replacing the vertical (R6-2), but the R6-2 is not being abandoned. Simply said, the R6-1 is used when mounted above another sign, the R6-2 when mounted below or independently.

Big John

Or is this experimental?  US 10 from Waupaca to Amherst now has mainly regular-sized R6-1 signs then from Amherst to Stevens Point currently has oversized R6-2 signs.

peterj920

Quote from: Big John on September 15, 2015, 10:46:46 PM
Or is this experimental?  US 10 from Waupaca to Amherst now has mainly regular-sized R6-1 signs then from Amherst to Stevens Point currently has oversized R6-2 signs.

The signs from Amherst to Stevens Point are from when the road was originally built back in 2008, and the signs from Waupaca to Amherst were recently replaced were older.  Interesting that the one way signs east of Waupaca were older than the signs west of Waupaca, yet the signs west of Waupaca were replaced.  It does seem like the stretch of US 10 is getting more advanced features like the anti-skid coating on the bridges and the 3M stamark tape replacing the painted lane markings.  Wis 29 still has painted lane markings west of Brown County and doesn't have any anti-skid treatment on any bridge decks aside from the I-39 interchange and the Wisconsin River Bridge. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.