News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.fdottampabay.com/project/287/429251-1-52-01

Work is begun on I-75 at State Road 574 for another DDI as well as a new c/d road between it and I-4.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on May 11, 2022, 08:45:03 AM
https://www.fdottampabay.com/project/287/429251-1-52-01

Work is begun on I-75 at State Road 574 for another DDI as well as a new c/d road between it and I-4.
So, if the northbound c/d road is extended south of FL 574 itself, I suppose that means northbound Exit 260 will be for both MLK and I-4.

And like the link between I-275 and FL 56, I have to ask why a southbound c/d road isn't being added to the project.

D-Dey65

Another topic; Maybe it's just me, but I keep having the feeling that FDOT 1 was originally intending to make the intersection of FL 548 and 539 in Lakeland into a folded diamond interchange.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0482311,-81.9640754,987m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

FLRoads

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 14, 2022, 03:39:50 PM
And like the link between I-275 and FL 56, I have to ask why a southbound c/d road isn't being added to the project.
That is because it's in an earlier stage of design. I inadvertently came across some conceptual plans one day a couple of weeks ago at work (someone had printed it out on our copy machine), so I took a look at what was printed. Digging a bit further there are a couple of proposals, both of which involving a slight shift of I-275 south to accommodate the c/d roadway and the ramps to both I-75 and I-275.

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 14, 2022, 04:01:16 PM
Another topic; Maybe it's just me, but I keep having the feeling that FDOT 1 was originally intending to make the intersection of FL 548 and 539 in Lakeland into a folded diamond interchange.

It's just you.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 14, 2022, 04:01:16 PM

That particular area is a social class neighborhood. I imagine building SR 548 was a major heart ache to accomplish.  Then to add ramps would make it more difficult. Plus the two dead ends you see is were the old SR 539 alignment before SR 548 once was.

In fact the current SR 539 displaced a church that once stood on the NW corner of 563 and 539 when SR 563 didn’t have the TOTSO like it has now.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

I see by Historic Aerials that they tore down the church you're talking about before 548 was extended, and 539 was realigned:
https://historicaerials.com/?layer=map&zoom=12&lat=28.041111&lon=-81.958889
They probably would've been better off adding "To FL 539"and "To I-4" signs at the intersection with 563 and leaving 539 to pass under 548.

roadman65

Yeah they should have but Orange County had the same issue with CR 527 andCentral Florida Parkway when CR 527 was realigned to cross the CSX on a new bridge. They severed Central Florida Parkway with the bridge incline and extended Zell Drive to meet Central Florida at another location.  All they needed was to build CR 527 over Central Florida as well.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

We were on westbound FL-46 out of Sanford this morning. Looks like FL-429 might be getting close to opening; it's already partially extended east from where it used to end. In the meantime, it's quite an interesting drive on what will now be a frontage road. There are roundabouts underneath the raised highway ("elevated" doesn't quite seem like the right description).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

edwaleni

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 19, 2022, 05:42:07 PM
We were on westbound FL-46 out of Sanford this morning. Looks like FL-429 might be getting close to opening; it's already partially extended east from where it used to end. In the meantime, it's quite an interesting drive on what will now be a frontage road. There are roundabouts underneath the raised highway ("elevated" doesn't quite seem like the right description).

I drove down I-4 yesterday and there are still a bunch of temporary false work holding the beams up over the westbound lanes. Looks like they have been there awhile judging by the rust

Many of approaches are in place with a few still being tiled and filled. The elevation of that ramp on the eastbound side is still got away's to go, so that maybe the holdup.

1995hoo

We are in Sanford waiting to board the Auto Train. You weren't kidding about a lot of work remaining at I-4's interchange with FL-417/Future 429. Looks like at least another year. Big mess.

We drove up from Broward County this morning and used the Turnpike to the new I-4 express lanes. Good route, breezed right thru Orlando, though I wish the speed limit were 65 or 70 instead of 60 (the I-595 express lanes, which we also used this morning, are posted at 70).

No real road activity for me on this trip other than using US-27 on the way south. My wife had a pretty serious medical emergency that pretty much put a crimp on a couple of days of our vacation. Thankfully, that is now in the past.

NJRoadfan

Hopefully everyone is ok. Medical emergencies during Florida vacations are giving me flashbacks of last year.

What was the pricing like on the I-4 express lanes? I missed the opening by one day back in February!

Avalanchez71

Quote from: roadman65 on April 23, 2022, 08:06:58 AM
US 90 ALT made more sense on its original alignment than now. 

I do miss the days when US 1 ALT concurred with it on both Baymeadows and the Arlington as it was neat to see the red and blue shields signed together back then.

In St. Augustine the removal of Business US 1 is something no one will miss, especially now with the historical area having a garage for pubic parking along US 1 mainline. No one needs to loop along King Street, Avenida Menedez, Castillo Drive, and San Marco Avenue to reach the various points and search for parking.

IMO extend SR 16 along San Marco to SR A1A so the part from the current east terminus to A1A could still be in the system to connect SR 16 to the Beach areas.

https://goo.gl/maps/rEuMFxKe6FBqvoEx6
This sign along US 1 sort of creates a de facto spur anyway to avoid the loop.

There was also an older version of US 1 ALT that went along SR 115 all the way to what is now The Avenues.  Anyone know why these ALT routes were changed to much?

1995hoo

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 31, 2022, 06:27:28 PM
Hopefully everyone is ok. Medical emergencies during Florida vacations are giving me flashbacks of last year.

What was the pricing like on the I-4 express lanes? I missed the opening by one day back in February!

She is fine now (in no small part due to the new prescriptions they gave her).

Regarding the I-4 express lanes, we went through right around noon last Friday, May 27. My E-ZPass statement shows that we passed through seven tolling points in the express lanes and that six of them charged us 50¢ each (the other one, Lake Ivanhoe at Milepost 84, posted a zero toll for whatever reason). So that's $3.00. I have no idea what the toll is at other times as this is the only time we've been on I-4 through Orlando in quite a few years now–I've normally avoided it in favor of either the eastern or western bypasses due to congestion and construction, but this time I was curious to try the express lanes.

VTGoose

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 01, 2022, 12:59:49 PM
Regarding the I-4 express lanes, we went through right around noon last Friday, May 27. My E-ZPass statement shows that we passed through seven tolling points in the express lanes and that six of them charged us 50¢ each (the other one, Lake Ivanhoe at Milepost 84, posted a zero toll for whatever reason). So that's $3.00. I have no idea what the toll is at other times as this is the only time we've been on I-4 through Orlando in quite a few years now–I've normally avoided it in favor of either the eastern or western bypasses due to congestion and construction, but this time I was curious to try the express lanes.

We traveled on I-4 east on April 4, a Sunday, from St. Petersburg to Daytona Beach, mainly to experience Buc-ee's (been there, done that, don't need to do it again). The express lanes were open and available, but traffic through Orlando wasn't bad enough to warrant shifting from the free lanes. We had more traffic west of there, slow and bumper to bumper, starting around Marathon. This wasn't our first experience with heavy traffic on I-4; we avoid it as much as possible.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

1995hoo

Quote from: VPIGoose on June 02, 2022, 10:44:29 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 01, 2022, 12:59:49 PM

We traveled on I-4 east on April 4, a Sunday, from St. Petersburg to Daytona Beach, mainly to experience Buc-ee's (been there, done that, don't need to do it again). The express lanes were open and available, but traffic through Orlando wasn't bad enough to warrant shifting from the free lanes. We had more traffic west of there, slow and bumper to bumper, starting around Marathon. This wasn't our first experience with heavy traffic on I-4; we avoid it as much as possible.

Bruce in Blacksburg

We could have taken the general-purpose lanes and likely wouldn't have experienced any significant delays. I just wanted to try out the express lanes to see how they were, and $3.00 is a relatively trivial amount in the scheme of things.

I hear you on avoiding I-4 generally, though. It's why we took US-27 on the way south to Fort Myers. From Sanford, we took FL-46 and FL-429 around the west side of Orlando and I merged onto I-4 without having necessarily decided which way to go. Traffic was moving but was heavy and unpleasant, it was just about lunchtime, and then the 30-ounce cold brew I consumed at Starbucks after we got off the train caught up with me, so we decided to stop to drain the coffee and have lunch. Just so happened we were at the US-27 interchange at the time. Ms1995hoo was grousing about the traffic on I-4, so I took the opportunity to suggest US-27. We both found it more relaxed than the all-Interstate route, though later on in the trip she started grousing about it feeling like we weren't getting anywhere (understandable, to some extent, when you don't know the road). If we use US-27 in the future, I might connect from FL-429 via US-192 to avoid I-4 altogether. Really all depends on where we're going on a given trip.

(Edited to add: I had considered trying the I-4 express lanes when we arrived, but because they end well prior to the Disney World area, I didn't think they'd help us all that much, and I preferred to take the bypass route to see how the construction progress was coming along as we hadn't been that way in a couple of years due to the pandemic.)

kernals12

Is Florida ever going to revolt against toll roads like Texas has?

brad2971

Quote from: kernals12 on June 18, 2022, 11:03:59 AM

Why would Florida revolt against something that someone else (tourists) largely pays? Especially since those toll roads provide Florida with an infrastructure for those same tourists quicker than if it relied upon the gas tax.

kernals12

Quote from: brad2971 on June 18, 2022, 11:43:45 AM

Why would Florida revolt against something that someone else (tourists) largely pays? Especially since those toll roads provide Florida with an infrastructure for those same tourists quicker than if it relied upon the gas tax.

A. Tourists pay gas taxes when they fill up their rental cars
B. Tolls encourage people to take surface streets, bringing their noise, pollution, and traffic into residential areas.

kevinb1994

I will note that Jacksonville did get rid of their bridge tolls (in addition to getting rid of the toll booths on JTB) back in the day, but now we have toll lanes instead, and there is now a plan to drop those for widening I-95 south of downtown, both north and south of JTB/295. They were planning on coordinating the tolls with those on the First Coast Expressway (see next paragraph).

There is also the First Coast Expressway in the area. But for those living on opposite sides of the proposed bridge over the St. Johns, there will be no toll to cross (only for thru traffic coming from further out than the immediate interchanges on either side of the St. Johns).

DeaconG

Quote from: kernals12 on June 18, 2022, 11:52:29 AM
Quote from: brad2971 on June 18, 2022, 11:43:45 AM

A. Tourists pay gas taxes when they fill up their rental cars
B. Tolls encourage people to take surface streets, bringing their noise, pollution, and traffic into residential areas.

Try that in Orlando. You won't get far creeping down Colonial Blvd (SR 50) to avoid the East-West. You won't get far creeping down US 192, John Young, Orange Blossom Trail or through the myriad cookie cutter developments trying to avoid the Beachline, Central Florida Greeneway or the Western Beltway.

It is what it is...people here will pay for it versus the alternative of sitting in traffic wondering why they didn't get a SunPass.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

D-Dey65

Didn't we have a separate thread on the I-10/US 301 Interchange Rebuild in Baldwin?

Anyway, I'm starting to like this project a lot less.

First because the eastbound off-ramp from I-10 and the C-D road have two different entry points.

And second, because the south-to-east loop ramp is being replaced by a jughandle across the northbound lanes leading to the new north-to-eastbound on-ramp.

https://nflroads.com/ProjectDetails.aspx?p=5066

I predict a lot of jackknifing trucks on that jughandle in the future.

NJRoadfan

The plans show the south-to-east loop ramp there, just part of a C-D roadway with the north-to-east ramp merging in. I find it embarrassing that this project is taking SEVEN years to build from start to finish though and in a state that can do year-round construction no less!

Jaxrunner

Are there plans to widen I 10 between US 301 and the First Coast Expressway? I like how I 10 opens up once you get to mile marker 350 heading east. It would  be nice for the state modernize I 10.

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 25, 2022, 03:00:45 PM
The plans show the south-to-east loop ramp there, just part of a C-D roadway with the north-to-east ramp merging in. I find it embarrassing that this project is taking SEVEN years to build from start to finish though and in a state that can do year-round construction no less!

Not to mention the Baldwin Bypass started after this project commenced and is since long completed.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.