News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Louisville, KY

Started by Revive 755, January 08, 2010, 06:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

In researching past transportation studies of the Lousiville area, I've come across mention of the Southwest Radial and a Crosstown route.  Now I've found reference to the Southwest Radial online (see http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,18720.0.html, scroll down 2/3rds a page), but I'm not finding any reference regarding the Crosstown.  So does anyone here know if the Crosstown was another dead route, or a now unused designation for I-64 or I-65?

Alex

Drove through the Louisville area on September 7 and 8, and was surprised to see gas prices upwards of 50 cents higher than the rest of Kentucky. Saw $1.759 to the south, but most prices in Louisville were $2.299/gal. New Albany, IN had $2.339. So is there an extra gas tax for Louisville, or does the city/Jefferson County just gouge area residents and travelers to match Indiana?

hbelkins

Quote from: Alex on September 14, 2020, 09:21:26 AM
Drove through the Louisville area on September 7 and 8, and was surprised to see gas prices upwards of 50 cents higher than the rest of Kentucky. Saw $1.759 to the south, but most prices in Louisville were $2.299/gal. New Albany, IN had $2.339. So is there an extra gas tax for Louisville, or does the city/Jefferson County just gouge area residents and travelers to match Indiana?

RFG. Gas prices are typically higher in Jefferson, northern Bullitt, and western Oldham counties than in surrounding areas due to the requirement that RFG be sold in Louisville. It used to be that the cutoff line was the Salt River bridge on I-65, meaning prices south of the river were cheaper than at Shepherdsville and north. That cutoff line may have been extended northward to the Jefferson/Bullitt county line.

For years, the cheapest places around Louisville to buy gas were the truck stops south of the Salt River bridge, at Simpsonville in Shelby County, and the truck stops at the KY 146/KY 157 exit on I-71.

Last few times I've been in downtown Louisville, gas was cheaper across the river in Indiana than it was at some of the stations along I-65 in downtown.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I-55

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2020, 12:32:51 PM
Quote from: Alex on September 14, 2020, 09:21:26 AM

RFG. Gas prices are typically higher in Jefferson, northern Bullitt, and western Oldham counties than in surrounding areas due to the requirement that RFG be sold in Louisville. It used to be that the cutoff line was the Salt River bridge on I-65, meaning prices south of the river were cheaper than at Shepherdsville and north. That cutoff line may have been extended northward to the Jefferson/Bullitt county line.

For years, the cheapest places around Louisville to buy gas were the truck stops south of the Salt River bridge, at Simpsonville in Shelby County, and the truck stops at the KY 146/KY 157 exit on I-71.

Last few times I've been in downtown Louisville, gas was cheaper across the river in Indiana than it was at some of the stations along I-65 in downtown.

Usually I get gas around Elizabethtown, partly because it's the halfway point for most of my I-65 journeys, but also because it used to be one of the only cities in KY that had smoke free restaurants (I think it was E-town and Lexington back then). Always got gas at Sam's Club (we'd usually eat at one of the restaurants along 31W) and was/is cheap.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone know if Interstate 64's Exit 4 was to have led to an unbuilt Louisville freeway? It looks a little overbuilt to be a connection to S. 9th St./Roy Wilkins Ave.

Alex

Thanks for the reply HB. Will be sure if I am ever in the Louisville area again to gas up beforehand...

One thing that I found consistent throughout the metropolitan area was the proliferation of graffiti on the back of overhead sign assemblies. There were tagged signs even out in what could be considered some of the outer suburbs. Given the truss structures KYTC uses throughout the state, has any thought been given to switching to monotubes? I would think scaling monotubes to tag signs would be extremely difficult.

Unfortunately the tunnel along Interstate 64 eastbound was also tagged, both inside the tube and along the exterior wall.

Also as of September 8, the East End Bridge is still posted as IN 265 and KY 841.

WKDAVE

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 08, 2010, 06:36:39 PM
In researching past transportation studies of the Lousiville area, I've come across mention of the Southwest Radial and a Crosstown route.  Now I've found reference to the Southwest Radial online (see http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,18720.0.html, scroll down 2/3rds a page), but I'm not finding any reference regarding the Crosstown.  So does anyone here know if the Crosstown was another dead route, or a now unused designation for I-64 or I-65?

The answer is that the Crosstown Expressway was and idea in the 1950s through 1970s for a multi-lane limited-access freeway starting on the westside at the Shawnee Parkway (I-264), crossing the new Southwest Radial and I-65, linking to the new Southeast Radial on the east, then turning north and terminating at I-71. It was to be built near the Old Louisville area.

The Southwest Radial followed the Dixie Highway inside the Watterson but turned more due south outside.

The Southeast Radial followed Bardstown Road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.