News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-469/US 24 Ramp Construction

Started by 2trailertrucker, July 21, 2019, 03:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2trailertrucker

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that clearing has started at the I-469 /US 24 east ramp.
It looks like they will be tying the ramp straight to US 24 on the other side of the current loop ramp.

Has anyone seen the plans or timetable for this?

froggie

thefarmerchris

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on July 21, 2019, 03:30:50 PM
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that clearing has started at the I-469 /US 24 east ramp.
It looks like they will be tying the ramp straight to US 24 on the other side of the current loop ramp.

Has anyone seen the plans or timetable for this?

This will hopefully be amazing when done. No more backups onto 469 North at nearly all times of day.

Any idea on if INDOT will be smart and re-sign 24 to go along the south side of 469....and maybe onto Lafayette Center Road towards Roanoke?

silverback1065

Never going to happen. They recently rerouted it on 69 north and around the Northside of ft Wayne. The reason why that interchange looks so weird (the new one planned) is because the NW corner had a historic property they couldn't mess with. But recently it got torn down by the property owner.

tdindy88

It would be so much better though about rerouting US 24 down Lafayette Center Road now that its four lane. Any GPS from say Huntington toward Toledo is already going to route you that way, why not just make is US 24 and make the current US 24 from Roanoke to I-69 a spur state highway, some SR x24. But I do understand, since when has Indiana been about doing the rational thing too.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 25, 2019, 08:20:04 PM
It would be so much better though about rerouting US 24 down Lafayette Center Road now that its four lane. Any GPS from say Huntington toward Toledo is already going to route you that way, why not just make is US 24 and make the current US 24 from Roanoke to I-69 a spur state highway, some SR x24. But I do understand, since when has Indiana been about doing the rational thing too.
Making sense isn't indots strong suit. They love to ruin routings

ilpt4u

Only way InDOT might, would be if they could spin off the orphaned bit of US 24 to either the County or City Highway Dept...InDOT isn't going to add ~4 miles of a 4 lane, local jurisdiction Arterial unless they can write off 4 or more miles back to local jurisdictions

silverback1065

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 25, 2019, 09:09:50 PM
Only way InDOT might, would be if they could spin off the orphaned bit of US 24 to either the County or City Highway Dept...InDOT isn't going to add ~4 miles of a 4 lane, local jurisdiction Arterial unless they can write off 4 or more miles back to local jurisdictions
Plus they can have another one of their routes randomly end at a non state road. (114)

ilpt4u

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 25, 2019, 09:14:46 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on July 25, 2019, 09:09:50 PM
Plus they can have another one of their routes randomly end at a non state road. (114)
I didn't even notice IN 114 there...thats an interesting possibility...Its about 3.5 miles along US 24 between Lafayette Center Rd and IN 114...InDOT might go for that swap, within (roughly) half a mile. Extend IN 114 East to I-469 along current US 24. Orphan the segment between and turn it over to Local Control

Problem Solved! Tho getting Fictional...

westerninterloper

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 25, 2019, 02:36:40 PM
Never going to happen. They recently rerouted it on 69 north and around the Northside of ft Wayne. The reason why that interchange looks so weird (the new one planned) is because the NW corner had a historic property they couldn't mess with. But recently it got torn down by the property owner.

Will the demolition change the plans for the interchange? The snake-like 24W to 69S ramp is something I havent seen before. I travel this route back to my family in Indiana, and the new ramps will be a big improvement.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

silverback1065

I asked the designer and he said it could in the future when indot decides to make it a full limited access facility. Which I believe is what they want. This won't happen with this construction though.

Revive 755

I really wish this 'the DOT can't impact the historic property but everyone else can' would get fixed someday.  Particularly when it comes to impacting the view from the historic property, and when there are already other subdivisions or large power lines in the same view.[/rant].

pianocello

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 27, 2019, 10:24:59 PM

I really wish this 'the DOT can't impact the historic property but everyone else can' would get fixed someday.  Particularly when it comes to impacting the view from the historic property, and when there are already other subdivisions or large power lines in the same view.[/rant].

I don't think the mentality is that anyone but the DOT can impact the historic property; I think it's just that the DOT can't impact land that they don't own, which happens to be for historical reasons in this case. Also, if it came down to impacting the view, wouldn't that have forced the Interstate to be routed elsewhere in the first place?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

silverback1065

I mean they can it's called immenant domain. But it doesn't work in historic property scenarios. The view argument sounds like a nepa document, which in my experience is just a giant waste of time and money.

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 28, 2019, 03:27:14 PM
I mean they can it's called immenant domain. But it doesn't work in historic property scenarios. The view argument sounds like a nepa document, which in my experience is just a giant waste of time and money.
Not to pick nits, and no offense intended, but it's "Eminent Domain".

silverback1065

Quote from: SSR_317 on August 04, 2019, 02:58:16 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 28, 2019, 03:27:14 PM
Not to pick nits, and no offense intended, but it's "Eminent Domain".

:-D it was hastily typed.  Didn't realize it was spelled that way! no offense taken

sparker

Question: since US 24 between Logansport and Toledo is part of a longstanding federal high priority corridor (#4, with one iteration of the "Heartland" label attached!) -- and ostensibly a sizeable chunk of federal funds were requested and used by both INDOT and ODOT to deploy the various expressway/freeway mileage along that corridor -- has there been no movement at all to connect the Wabash River section that extends around Huntington to somewhere along I-69 (whether following the Lafayette Center alignment directly to the southern I-469 interchange or another location along that route) to functionally complete a high-speed/high-capacity corridor?  Curiously, it almost seems like INDOT has elected to downplay the presence of US 24 as a viable cross-state/intraregional artery even after sinking funds into its construction, including the western extension along IN 25 toward Lafayette.       

froggie

^ Were you not aware that Lafayette Center Rd was recently widened to 4 lanes (albeit undivided) with a bridge over the Norfolk Southern tracks?

sparker

Quote from: froggie on August 06, 2019, 08:21:48 PM
^ Were you not aware that Lafayette Center Rd was recently widened to 4 lanes (albeit undivided) with a bridge over the Norfolk Southern tracks?

No, I was not aware of that; thanks for the info (will see if it shows up on GSV when I have the time).  Nevertheless, although Lafayette Center is a locally-known de facto (albeit a little "underpowered" even as 4-lane local arterial) connector, is that connection reasonably well publicized via signage from I-69 and/or I-469?  It sounds like the facility is still under local control and that the upgrade was likely to at least in part address the increased traffic level from those aware of the "shortcut".  If INDOT was serious about the corridor's effectiveness it would have extended US 24 directly to I-69 as an expressway and/or freeway rather than simply hand off the issue to a local jurisdictions (if this were present-day CA, the state would have contributed a big chunk anyway).  Now I do recognize that under IN laws there's a SH mileage cap; something (possibly the present US 24 alignment NE from Huntington) could be relinquished to clear mileage for a new direct connector.  But maybe all involved will get lucky and the Lafayette Center connection won't create traffic issues at either end or pose safety issues as an undivided corridor carrying intraregional traffic.   At least nobody will get T-boned by a NS train!  :-/   

tdindy88

INDOT isn't at the 12,000 mile mileage cap. They've never gotten to there as far as I've known, they got space for another three or four miles of road.

silverback1065

I wonder why 24 doesn't use Lafayette Center Road. I've always wondered why they won't just throw 24 onto that route. Also the Hoosier heartland highway isn't an interstate because it doesn't really need to be one. Only improvements I'd make is make 24 the continuous movement at the 35/24 split east of logansport and do something about that weird split diamond.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 06, 2019, 09:56:19 PM
I wonder why 24 doesn't use Lafayette Center Road. I've always wondered why they won't just throw 24 onto that route. Also the Hoosier heartland highway isn't an interstate because it doesn't really need to be one. Only improvements I'd make is make 24 the continuous movement at the 35/24 split east of logansport and do something about that weird split diamond.

I can't even remember the last time INDOT actually assumed control of a county/local road.  It just seems to be something they don't do.  CR 17 in Elkhart is another road that really needs to be a state highway but INDOT hasn't done anything with it either.  As noted above, there is no mileage cap issue, it's just not done.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

captkirk_4

That stoplight where 24 goes onto 469 east of Fort Wayne is really slow, I had to wait for two cycles behind a line of semis to get onto 469. The New Lafayette Center Road by comparison is no problem even though it's not a real expressway. My biggest frustration with the 24 expressway is the stoplights in Wabash are ALWAYS RED. Huntington too, although being a much bigger city that is more expected although interchanges in those bypasses would really speed things up. Is 24 ever going to be four laned all the way to Kentland and the IL state line? Or is Lafayette the destination of the corridor? I've tried both 24 from Gilman IL across Indiana to Toledo and 74 East up through Lafayette on the two lanes then across via the Hoosier Heartland Expressway and both routes are very slow in the non expressway parts. Getting through Lafayette is a nightmare, the 231 up to the north side of town over to the Heartland is riddled with so many stoplights, 25 through the city is an absolute nightmare, Veterans Parkway across the south side of town to 65 seems to be the best, but still flawed route through Lafayette connecting 74 to the Heartland. The alternate route of 24 from Logansport to Illinois is also slow, Watseka definitely needs a bypass same with Monticello, and the two lane section from Monticello to Logansport is too winding and lacking good visibility to safely pass slowpokes.

Revive 755

Quote from: captkirk_4 on August 25, 2019, 12:08:05 PM
Is 24 ever going to be four laned all the way to Kentland and the IL state line? Or is Lafayette the destination of the corridor?

I would lean towards Lafayette being the corridor destination.  I don't think any of the towns west of Logansport are big enough population wise or industry wise to warrant a four lane corridor (corrections are welcomed).

Now if Illinois and Indiana ever wanted to try and develop another high quality alternative to using I-80 through Chicagloand . . .

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
Lafayette has been the western end of HPC #4 since its 1991 inception; IN 25 was always intended to be the basic alignment of its western end.  Some speculators have suggested a (fictional) extension to somewhere along I-74 to the southwest in order to complete a full westward connection; AFAIK that's not been seriously proposed by IDOT or even local (Lafayette and/or other western Indiana locales) interests.  Of course, the existing terminus location tends to limit much of the corridor's utility (unless you're a Purdue student originally from Ft. Wayne or even Toledo!).     

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.