News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Freeway Entrance" signage

Started by deathtopumpkins, June 16, 2020, 10:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

I'm curious if anyone has put together a full list of states that use "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" signs, whether consistently or just in random one-off instances.

I know California and Washington use them consistently, and I believe most other western states use them at least sometimes. I've seen random examples in other states (e.g. Michigan), and didn't one recently turn up in Connecticut of all places?

Can we try and put together a list of everywhere these are used?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

ozarkman417

You may find some additional states or districts that use them in the already existing, five year old thread here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16911.0

webny99

Cross New York off the list. I wish we used them, but nope.

ilpt4u

Southern Illinois uses them regularly, but not always. IDOT D9. I want to say I have seen them in other parts of the state, also

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 16, 2020, 10:22:52 AM
I'm curious if anyone has put together a full list of states that use "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" signs, whether consistently or just in random one-off instances.

I know California and Washington use them consistently, and I believe most other western states use them at least sometimes. I've seen random examples in other states (e.g. Michigan), and didn't one recently turn up in Connecticut of all places?

Can we try and put together a list of everywhere these are used?
Where in Michigan? I've never seen one and I travel all over the state.

Flint1979

Indiana is my second most frequently visited state after Michigan and I don't recall any of them there either.

1995hoo

I've never seen that sort of sign in Virginia, except that Transurban uses similar signage at the slip ramps on I-95 and I-395 from the general-purpose lanes to the HO/T lanes (example: https://goo.gl/maps/3wLFKk5VndGHLmkE8 ).

In general, people here do not use the term "freeway," so signs saying "Freeway Entrance" would be strange.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

csw

They're common in West Virginia, I haven't seen them anywhere else in the east.

ninja edit: I have seen one for the I-277 loop in Charlotte.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 16, 2020, 12:16:10 PM
I've never seen that sort of sign in Virginia, except that Transurban uses similar signage at the slip ramps on I-95 and I-395 from the general-purpose lanes to the HO/T lanes (example: https://goo.gl/maps/3wLFKk5VndGHLmkE8 ).

In general, people here do not use the term "freeway," so signs saying "Freeway Entrance" would be strange.

MDTA did the same thing with the I-95 express lanes northeast of Baltimore, both on overheads and gore signage.

Otherwise, MD does not contribute to the "Freeway Entrance" party.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: ozarkman417 on June 16, 2020, 11:09:48 AM
You may find some additional states or districts that use them in the already existing, five year old thread here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16911.0

Damn, I searched before creating this thread but that one didn't come up at all!

--

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 16, 2020, 12:06:33 PM
Where in Michigan? I've never seen one and I travel all over the state.
You quoted a link I provided to one in Port Huron:
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 16, 2020, 12:06:33 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 16, 2020, 10:22:52 AM
(e.g. Michigan)

--

Quote from: csw on June 16, 2020, 01:13:01 PM
ninja edit: I have seen one for the I-277 loop in Charlotte.

Which interchange?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

deathtopumpkins

Consulting the other thread, it looks like we're at:

• California
  • Washington
  • Nevada
  • Oregon
  • New Mexico
  • Illinois
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Montana
  • Michigan
  • Colorado (one example that has since been removed)

roadman

The Freeway Entrance signs on I-395 in Massachusetts were a one-off and will not be repeated elsewhere in the state.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 16, 2020, 01:13:30 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 16, 2020, 12:16:10 PM

MDTA did the same thing with the I-95 express lanes northeast of Baltimore, both on overheads and gore signage.

Otherwise, MD does not contribute to the "Freeway Entrance" party.

Those signs strike me as more conventional than the Virginia example I noted because the Maryland signs have more standard arrows, whereas the Virginia one has that decidedly abnormal (for this part of the country) downward-pointing arrow that you see in pictures of California's strange signage.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

csw

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on June 16, 2020, 11:53:56 AM

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 16, 2020, 11:42:39 AM
Southern Illinois uses them

Where?  I don't remember that.

Hmmm..  I found one on I-57 at Tuscola.  Are these recent in Illinois?  GSV from 2012 shows no such sign there, and I don't remember there being one there back when I hitchhiked from that exit in 2006.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

csw

sprjus4

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: webny99 on June 16, 2020, 11:37:22 AM
Cross New York off the list. I wish we used them, but nope.

NY recently required them where entrance & exit ramps are adjacent as part of their wrong-way driving countermeasures at exit ramp termini.

Here's an example on an entrance to the Saw Mill in Bedford.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: kphoger on June 16, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 16, 2020, 11:53:56 AM

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 16, 2020, 11:42:39 AM
Southern Illinois uses them

Where?  I don't remember that.

Hmmm..  I found one on I-57 at Tuscola.  Are these recent in Illinois?  GSV from 2012 shows no such sign there, and I don't remember there being one there back when I hitchhiked from that exit in 2006.

Here's one in central Illinois: https://goo.gl/maps/MZLwQvrkR4zVEfZr9

I thought I remembered one there, since I've been to that Thornton's/Pilot several times.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Flint1979

That Port Huron example has to be the only example in Michigan ever. because I certainly haven't seen any freeway entrance signs anywhere in the state and quite frankly I don't get to Port Huron that often so I must have missed this one. Must be a one time thing MDOT did.

paulthemapguy

I love California's freeway entrance signage, because it's the only place in the state where I can reliably find cutout route markers.  California is so hit-or-miss when signing its junctions, but the freeway on-ramps seem consistent. 

CA-052G by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jakeroot

For all the American influence I see across BC, "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" signs are not one of those things.

That said, they do exist, but are very rare. Here is a pair of black-on-white examples; the one on the left (in sort-of-correct FHWA typeface (should be Clearview)) is actually brand-new, after the original fell off sometime in 2019. The one on the right has the original font, which I have a photo of somewhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.