News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Cumberland Parkway: Say "bye" to I-66, "hi" to an I-x65

Started by hbelkins, September 25, 2020, 03:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

KYTC is simply relying on Congress for the route number instead of AASHTO.  They still have to submit the proper requests and documentation to FHWA to actually sign it as an Interstate.

In short, Congress dictates the route number.  FHWA dictates when it's actually added to the system...which, given precedent including past Congressional numbering action, won't be unless/until the route is up to standard.

Alex

Quote from: Life in Paradise on September 27, 2020, 03:45:53 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 26, 2020, 05:57:17 PM
Does anyone really call the Natcher Parkeay the Green River Parkway?
Probably not, but I've been around since when the Natcher (Green River) was originally built (matter of fact Pennyrile and Audubon as well), and at lot of times I still refer to them by the original name.

Having just rode on the entire length of I-165 between Bowling Green and Owensboro, there are zero signs posted for William H Natcher Pkwy. There are however small guide signs on I-165 indicating that it is the William H Natcher Expressway, but they not consistently posted.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: hbelkins on September 25, 2020, 04:55:13 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 25, 2020, 03:34:08 PM
will all the parkways eventually become interstates?

Doubtful. I don't foresee the Mountain Parkway getting an interstate designation. Even with the ongoing four-laning, there will be some substandard exits that really aren't worth spending the money on to bring them up to standards. Plus, I don't think the new four-lane portions fully meet current interstate standards.

And the Daniel Boone Hal Rogers Parkway is a super-2 and they've added at-grades along the route since the tolls were removed, so it's a big "no" for that route.

The signs along the Audubon Parkway designating it as a future I-69 spur have long since been removed.

I would hope they would fix at least some of the interchanges on the Mountain Parkway.  The eastbound on ramp at Exit 22 is dangerous.  I was driving it late on a Friday night about a month ago on the way to a Scout campout and had to move to the left lane sharply when a truck suddenly appeared on my right coming up and on to the freeway...

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8409383,-83.8612846,3a,75y,306.93h,92.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scHgwIcCPYxkZxisgaZvWKQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Buck87

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 25, 2020, 05:57:51 PM
I'd also prefer making it Interstate 365, since one doesn't exist yet.

and then they could call it I-366 during leap years

:D

ibthebigd

froggie

Quote from: Buck87 on September 28, 2020, 09:09:37 AM

But would it have an 85 MPH speed limit?

sparker

Quote from: froggie on September 28, 2020, 11:45:41 AM
Quote from: Buck87 on September 28, 2020, 09:09:37 AM

But would it have an 85 MPH speed limit?

Only if it passes near an underutilized airport that no one really needs to get to in a hurry!  But in south-central KY?

triplemultiplex

Can we assume it'll be like 165 in that they will sign it without upgrading the last 'parkway' interchange(s)?  (Is there only one of the Old Style interchanges left on the Cumberland or is it two?  Going from memory here.)

Heh, I wonder if KY can double its pre-I-69 interstate mileage just by promoting parkways. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

Regardless of whether the Cumberland Parkway becomes a 3-digit Interstate, or remains KY 9008, are there any plans to extend the parkway east of US 27? Or were those plans canceled along with the Interstate 66 proposal?

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 28, 2020, 02:59:26 PM
Can we assume it'll be like 165 in that they will sign it without upgrading the last 'parkway' interchange(s)?  (Is there only one of the Old Style interchanges left on the Cumberland or is it two?  Going from memory here.)

There's still one old parkway interchange left west of Edmonton with KY-80/US-68. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9951397,-85.6515723,14z

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 28, 2020, 05:14:54 PM
Regardless of whether the Cumberland Parkway becomes a 3-digit Interstate, or remains KY 9008, are there any plans to extend the parkway east of US 27? Or were those plans canceled along with the Interstate 66 proposal?

The freeway will at some point be extended to the KY 80/KY 461 intersection. A contract is being let this month to reconstruct that intersection into a grade-separated interchange. For now, the through movement will be 80 east/461 north, or 461 south/80 west. Stubs will be built in the NW quadrant of that interchange to connect to an eventual extension of the Cumberland Parkway.

https://transportation.ky.gov/Construction-Procurement/Proposals/100-PULASKI-20-1305.pdf

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

Will it utilize much of SR 80 or be built on a new alignment?

sprjus4

^

This appears to be the interchange configuration.

The Cumberland Pkwy / I-x65 extension will tie seamlessly into KY-80 east of KY-461, and will be built on new location between KY-461 and US-27.

Any conceptual eastern extension of a freeway-grade facility to I-75 could reasonable be built along the existing alignment, twinning it and constructing overpasses and interchanges where neccasary. The Hal Rogers Pkwy seems to have relatively limited access.

hbelkins

At first, I thought this concept was goofy, but the more I thought about it, I realized it makes sense.

Having the KY 461 south/KY 80 west movement (and conversely, the KY 80 east/KY 461 north movement) be the through route allows the "Ohio Navy" to have better access to the KY 914 Somerset bypass and KY 1247 route to get to Lake Cumberland. And presumably, E-W KY 80 traffic that is just passing by Somerset would use the Cumberland Parkway extension that will eventually tie into this.

Right now, if I'm going west on KY 80 and intending to head west on the Cumberland Parkway, I don't take the suggested route of US 27 north from the big traffic light in Somerset. I continue west on the former parkway alignment (now KY 80) and then use the short leg of KY 914 to tie into the new alignment. When this is completed, unless I have reason to be in Somerset, I'll just go straight through this under-construction intersection onto the new Cumberland Parkway extension (which is locally referred to as the northeastern Somerset bypass.)

Interesting note: check out how many bypasses have been built over the last 20 years along the US 68/KY 80/Cumberland Parkway corridor. From west to east, Hopkinsville, Russellville, Glasgow, Columbia, and Somerset. And the Mayfield bypass is nearing completion.

bugo

Oklahoma still has a few of those bowtie interchanges on the turnpike system.

wriddle082

Quote from: bugo on September 30, 2020, 04:21:17 PM

I can only think of two of these in KY with no definite plans for reconstruction due to confirmed future interstate upgrades:
* Audubon Parkway Exit 10 at KY 416
* Blue Grass Parkway Exit 34 at KY 55

Buck87

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2020, 11:15:11 AM
Having the KY 461 south/KY 80 west movement (and conversely, the KY 80 east/KY 461 north movement) be the through route allows the "Ohio Navy" to have better access to the KY 914 Somerset bypass and KY 1247 route to get to Lake Cumberland.

Ohio Navy?

TheKnightoftheInterstate

I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

sturmde

Quote from: Buck87 on September 30, 2020, 08:41:46 PM
Ohio Navy?

It's a "thing".  Years of Ohioans coming down with boats and boathouses and lake homes and vacation rentals on Kentucky's Lake Cumberland... they "invade" with their ''Ohio Navy''...
https://www.facebook.com/officialohionavy/
This is not to be confused with the actual Ohio state naval reserve/guard unit, the Ohio Naval Militia.  After all, Ohio did see some naval action during the War of 1812, and there were Ohio reservist units from Ohio in later wars...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Naval_Militia

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 30, 2020, 07:19:40 PM

I can only think of two of these in KY with no definite plans for reconstruction due to confirmed future interstate upgrades:

WK Parkway at US 431/KY 70, BG Parkway at KY 52 (not a bowtie, but a weird folded diamond, and the aforementioned US 68/KY 80 on the Cumberland Parkway. There may be one remaining on the Purchase Parkway near Hopkinsville, but I'm not positive. And there's one on the Purchase between Mayfield and Fulton, but it will be rebuilt as part of I-69.

Already reconstructed: Mountain Parkway at KY 11, BG Parkway at US 127, WK Parkway at KY 259 and also KY 109, Cumberland Parkway at US 127, Pennyrile at KY 56, and one on the Purchase near Benton (I can't remember the intersecting route.)

hbelkins

Quote from: Buck87 on September 30, 2020, 08:41:46 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2020, 11:15:11 AM
Having the KY 461 south/KY 80 west movement (and conversely, the KY 80 east/KY 461 north movement) be the through route allows the "Ohio Navy" to have better access to the KY 914 Somerset bypass and KY 1247 route to get to Lake Cumberland.

Ohio Navy?

Someone else explained it. All the Ohio residents who travel down I-75 and exit at Mt. Vernon and use KY 461 to get to Lake Cumberland.

ibthebigd

What lake is more popular Lake Cumberland or Dale Hollow?

SM-G950U

wriddle082

Quote from: hbelkins on October 01, 2020, 04:27:18 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on September 30, 2020, 07:19:40 PM

WK Parkway at US 431/KY 70, BG Parkway at KY 52 (not a bowtie, but a weird folded diamond, and the aforementioned US 68/KY 80 on the Cumberland Parkway. There may be one remaining on the Purchase Parkway near Hopkinsville, but I'm not positive. And there's one on the Purchase between Mayfield and Fulton, but it will be rebuilt as part of I-69.

Already reconstructed: Mountain Parkway at KY 11, BG Parkway at US 127, WK Parkway at KY 259 and also KY 109, Cumberland Parkway at US 127, Pennyrile at KY 56, and one on the Purchase near Benton (I can't remember the intersecting route.)

The two that I mentioned are not located on parkways with firm commitments for interstate conversion, so they may stay in their current forms for years to come.  The balance of the Pennyrile and Purchase, and part of the WK from Pennyrile to Natcher, will become interstates, and as such will have to “loosen up and take off their bow ties”, so to speak.

And for some reason, I thought BG Parkway Exit 10 had its ramps fixed so it would be a normal folded diamond, or at least has plans for it.

dvferyance

Quote from: Finrod on September 25, 2020, 11:48:28 PM
It doesn't mean it won't become I-66 eventually-- after all, I-495 in North Carolina became I-87, and it wouldn't surprise me if the idea of making I-165 be I-67 didn't come around again at some point in the future.
I-63 would be a better number for it.

sparker

Quote from: dvferyance on October 01, 2020, 08:49:08 PM
Quote from: Finrod on September 25, 2020, 11:48:28 PM
It doesn't mean it won't become I-66 eventually-- after all, I-495 in North Carolina became I-87, and it wouldn't surprise me if the idea of making I-165 be I-67 didn't come around again at some point in the future.
I-63 would be a better number for it.

As I've iterated previously -- considering the penchant for Owensboro "boosters", prominently including the mayor's office, to pursue marginal Interstate proposals which invariably involved the US 231 bridge and Indiana cooperation that never really materialized -- I'm surprised those folks didn't jump all over I-63 or any other 2di from Bowling Green to Henderson via the parkways + the US 60 bypass.  But the idea of an even 2di in the 40's or 50's continuing from there onto the Cumberland and I-75 is an even more useful approach that actually is grid-appropriate.  Would make a nice western egress from Knoxville and vicinity to, say, St. Louis while avoiding Nashville (and Louisville) traffic chokepoints. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.