The actual Worst of Road Signs

Started by Alex, October 09, 2020, 12:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilianaUwU

Something that I've seen on the forum before, and probably qualifies for the thread:

(Street View)
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Gross, Arial! And not even remotely the right arrow.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 13, 2022, 03:41:05 AM
Gross, Arial! And not even remotely the right arrow.

Or the right outline. Or the right shield (should be US, not MA). Probably not even the right shade of white.

I believe what had been agreed on when it was first posted was that a non-PennDOT entity (possibly the rail yard) erected it.
—Mr. Thwomp

plain

The only thing they actually got right in the sign is the W being larger than the rest of WEST  :nod:
Newark born, Richmond bred

stevashe

Presented without further comment.

JoePCool14

Love the Calibri 3 duct taped on the sign in the background.

I have to give these guys a bit of credit though. They tried, at least a little.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Yeah, that looks a lot like "we need a temporary sign but management won't give us one to put up".

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2022, 07:10:12 PM
Yeah, that looks a lot like "we need a temporary sign but management won't give us one to put up".

Speaking of which, this might qualify for the thread, as it is a sign that's not a sign:

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 02, 2022, 06:17:04 PM
A sign warning of the possibility of punctured tires, but it's not a sign: it's a piece of paper glued to a cut up bus route sign.

Risque de crevaison by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

Risque de crevaison - close up by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

I suspect it is mainly targeted towards buses, hence why it's glued on an old bus stop sign.
—Mr. Thwomp

highwaytuna

This is technically not a DOT-produced sign, but I hope that it's good enough for this thread because god, the amount of sacrilege in this photo.

Referring to interstates as routes, mixing up state and interstate shields (this is in Waterbury, CT -- I-69 doesn't run anywhere near here), listing both directions of a route even though they can both be accessed by making the same turn... it really gets worse the longer you look at it.

And the cherry on top: there is already a set of DOT-spec shields a few yards in front of this sign, rendering most of the information on it practically redundant.

I know that signage produced by private property developers are not held to the same standards as those produced by DOT's, but this sign is just a whole new level of bad. If one doesn't already exist, I think that it would help to have a set of signage design guidelines for private developers who choose to put up signs using their own "style" rather than DOT-spec ones to reduce confusion.

Katavia

Possibly the fugliest sign in North Carolina. (Durham, specifically.)
NCDOT, you're better than this. C'mon.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

kphoger

I think it's kind of cute.  Actually, I rather I like it!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

It looks like a US Route shield that was conceived by DALL-E.

hbelkins

I've seen contractor-installed temporary signs like that before in North Carolina.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Katavia on September 16, 2022, 12:55:57 PM

I rarely swear on this forum, but I think it would be appropriate if I said: what the fuck?!
—Mr. Thwomp

plain

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2022, 09:09:24 PM
I've seen contractor-installed temporary signs like that before in North Carolina.

Yep I've seen them for I-85 and I-95

JoePCool14

Quote from: Katavia on September 16, 2022, 12:55:57 PM

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

US71

US 62 near Flippin, AR (since replaced)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ClassicHasClass

Was that a construction temp sign, or a permanent sign that they just repurposed? Temporary construction signage is its own unique circle of hell, of course.

US71

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 20, 2022, 12:04:12 PM
Was that a construction temp sign, or a permanent sign that they just repurposed? Temporary construction signage is its own unique circle of hell, of course.

Construction
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bootmii

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 15, 2020, 07:12:42 AM
Quote from: idk on October 15, 2020, 12:20:39 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.589976,-122.3039575,3a,18.7y,70.32h,121.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sF6uMDLFy5GLQhmw1AI_Gvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I really don't understand this one, I mean, what's the point?

From what I can tell, it's just to reiterate that all lanes follow I-90, which they have to do otherwise drivers will be confused (which they easily are).

Also, I'm starting to wonder if we just should lock this thread. It's clear most people do not understand the concept of it anymore.

Except they don't because that's actually a finger post on a side street. "22nd" is obscured by the stop sign, whose back is painted red, and "St" is smaller than "Atlantic".
Born again roadgeek from California.

kphoger

Quote from: bootmii on November 05, 2022, 05:53:11 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.589976,-122.3039575,3a,18.7y,70.32h,121.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sF6uMDLFy5GLQhmw1AI_Gvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

From what I can tell, it's just to reiterate that all lanes follow I-90, which they have to do otherwise drivers will be confused (which they easily are).

Also, I'm starting to wonder if we just should lock this thread. It's clear most people do not understand the concept of it anymore.

Except they don't because that's actually a finger post on a side street. "22nd" is obscured by the stop sign, whose back is painted red, and "St" is smaller than "Atlantic".

Am I missing something?  That seems like a reply that has nothing to do with the quoted post.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

thanks NMDOT

(photo by Liz Branam, who was nice enough to take pictures while I was driving)

bootmii

Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2022, 07:10:02 PM
Quote from: bootmii on November 05, 2022, 05:53:11 PM

Am I missing something?  That seems like a reply that has nothing to do with the quoted post.

The Google Maps was the wrong location, for whatever reason. So I was describing signs I could actually see there.
Born again roadgeek from California.

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

plain

And it has a street blade on top of it to boot  :ded:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.