DEFINITE Natchez, MS meet March 19, 2022!!

Started by cjk374, March 03, 2021, 03:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

I'm still planning on having the meet. Been trying to scout & plan the last 6 months or so. But so far so good.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ce929wax

Put me down for a maybe, as I live in greater Nashville now.

jpi

Quote from: cjk374 on September 05, 2021, 06:45:32 PM
I'm still planning on having the meet. Been trying to scout & plan the last 6 months or so. But so far so good.

Sweet! Looking forward to it!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cjk374

cjk374

I was thinking yesterday and today that I may need to address the virus situation around here. PLEASE do not politicize anything I present below. I am only the messenger:

Louisiana has a mask mandate in place. Basically, this means that stores & businesses have to hang up signs on their entrances saying masks are required for entry. The only enforcement I have noticed have only been at health facilities. The restaurants permit the removal of masks once seated. But honestly, there is no real "enFORCEment" of the wearing of masks...not even at Wal-Mart.

Mississippi has absolutely no mandates of any kind, and the governor has stated repeatedly that she will not be enacting any. You are free to go around as you please.  If any businesses have rules about masks, they are enacting them as their own policy.

As far as I am concerned, I feel like everyone can protect themselves however they wish to. Unless you are actually under age, we are all adults. You can keep up with current CDC information, and act accordingly. I am not going to ask for a vaccination status from anyone. If you are vaccinated, great...if not, that's fine too. I won't judge.

If you feel uncomfortable about any of the above, and you choose not to attend, I completely understand. I will have no hurt feelings. But just understand that you will be coming down to an area of the country where the people may have more "relaxed" stance on the virus.

Again....don't get mad, make all of this political, and end up locking this thread.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: cjk374 on September 23, 2021, 08:26:43 PM
I was thinking yesterday and today that I may need to address the virus situation around here. PLEASE do not politicize anything I present below. I am only the messenger:

Louisiana has a mask mandate in place. Basically, this means that stores & businesses have to hang up signs on their entrances saying masks are required for entry. The only enforcement I have noticed have only been at health facilities. The restaurants permit the removal of masks once seated. But honestly, there is no real "enFORCEment" of the wearing of masks...not even at Wal-Mart.

Mississippi has absolutely no mandates of any kind, and the governor has stated repeatedly that she will not be enacting any. You are free to go around as you please.  If any businesses have rules about masks, they are enacting them as their own policy.

As far as I am concerned, I feel like everyone can protect themselves however they wish to. Unless you are actually under age, we are all adults. You can keep up with current CDC information, and act accordingly. I am not going to ask for a vaccination status from anyone. If you are vaccinated, great...if not, that's fine too. I won't judge.

If you feel uncomfortable about any of the above, and you choose not to attend, I completely understand. I will have no hurt feelings. But just understand that you will be coming down to an area of the country where the people may have more "relaxed" stance on the virus.

Again....don't get mad, make all of this political, and end up locking this thread.

Thanks for sharing this, Jess.  One thing to keep in mind is that we're still 6 months away from the meet.  A lot can change, possibly for the better (trying to be optimistic) between now and then.
-A.J. from Michigan

cjk374

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 23, 2021, 09:27:35 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on September 23, 2021, 08:26:43 PM

Thanks for sharing this, Jess.  One thing to keep in mind is that we're still 6 months away from the meet.  A lot can change, possibly for the better (trying to be optimistic) between now and then.

Yes indeed. If things change...for better or worse...I will let everyone know.

hbelkins

I see others have pointed out that the meet is months distant. But the governor of Mississippi is female? When did that happen? I thought the governor was a male.Or is this a typo? Only female governor I'm aware of in the area is in Alabama.

Quote from: cjk374 on September 23, 2021, 09:47:16 PM

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Quote from: hbelkins on September 24, 2021, 12:57:16 PM
I see others have pointed out that the meet is months distant. But the governor of Mississippi is female? When did that happen? I thought the governor was a male.Or is this a typo? Only female governor I'm aware of in the area is in Alabama.

I heard the info about MS on the radio a couple of months ago. They kept referring to the governor as she & her. Upon further googling, HIS name is Tate Reeves.

I work for a railroad...I'm deaf. My bad.

hbelkins

Quote from: cjk374 on September 24, 2021, 02:42:19 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 24, 2021, 12:57:16 PM

I heard the info about MS on the radio a couple of months ago. They kept referring to the governor as she & her. Upon further googling, HIS name is Tate Reeves.

I work for a railroad...I'm deaf. My bad.

I was wondering if perhaps the governor had been replaced in office or something and I hadn't heard about it. I saw Reeves in the news about something a couple of weeks ago and was curious if there'd been a change.

A.J. Bertin

Jess announced in the 2022 meet ideas thread that March 19 is the official date of this meet.  I submitted my time-off request from work for the days off I need for the drive down from Michigan and the drive back, and my request was approved so I'm pretty much planning on attending at this point.  :)
-A.J. from Michigan

cjk374

I apologize for the "radio silence" I have been doing for this meet. I have been waiting for recent virus numbers to come out to see if it would be a bad idea to have the meet. Here are a couple of maps and web pages I have found:

For MS, look for Adams County:  https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/scripts/FullScreen.cfm?itemLink=https://app.powerbigov.us/view?r=eyJrIjoiM2JhNmFkMzUtYTg2NS00ZTA1LTk2NzYtYTk1NWFiOTQ0YWIyIiwidCI6IjU1OTA0MmRjLThiZjAtNGQ4Ni05ZmMwLWZiZjRjNzUwM2M3OSJ9&windowHeight=1041&widthPercent=135

For LA, look for Concordia Parish:  https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/map/louisiana

The northern half of Mississippi appears to be the hottest part of the state.....and so does Adams County. Louisiana's numbers don't seem as bad, but Concordia Parish is not exactly the "coldest" parish in the state. Then you have this new variant showing up just in time to piss me off. Alas, I have no control over planet Earth, so we will just have to roll with the punches.

I will say that this meet is still a go. Please reread what I posted above about the political climates for the area, as nothing has really changed. As far as mask wearing by the general public, it seems like it's 60/40 wearing masks to 50/50. I will mandate nothing specific for this meet. We can each act on our own accords. If you wanna wear a mask, please do. If you don't want to, that will be fine. I will have enough going on trying to keep the meet flowing smoothly, and I ain't gonna be policing masks vs no masks or vax vs no vax. We are all responsible adults, and I pray that we can all act as such.

Now that being said, how many of y'all still plan on attending. I see AJ has taken time off to come. How many more will there be? I have no written itinerary as of yet, but knowing all the places I have in mind to drive, it may not be that long of a tour. I still need to work out the exact route, but I know where things are.

oscar

Count me as a "likely". The main thing that could change that is a family or other scheduling conflict coming up between now and then.

The virus situation is not yet concerning to me. I travelled extensively last year, including through many southern states, long before I was fully vaccinated in April 2021 and got my booster shot in October, and came away unscathed. So it would take a lot to keep me home.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

Quote from: oscar on December 04, 2021, 07:26:32 PM
Count me as a "likely". The main thing that could change that is a family or other scheduling conflict coming up between now and then.

The virus situation is not yet concerning to me. I travelled extensively last year, including through many southern states, long before I was fully vaccinated in April 2021 and got my booster shot in October, and came away unscathed. So it would take a lot to keep me home.
Wonder if the people we come in contact with did as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Quote from: Rothman on December 04, 2021, 08:11:57 PM

Speaking just for myself, really unlikely. AFAIK I've never been infected, and with my medical vulnerabilities I would've noticed if I had been. Certainly Canada was satisfied, through the PCR test I obtained just before crossing the border and my proof of full vaccination, that its people wouldn't catch the virus from me during my visit there in October.

Speculation about roadgeek travels spreading Covid-19, despite best efforts to keep that from happening, is not helpful.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: oscar on December 04, 2021, 08:48:26 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 04, 2021, 08:11:57 PM

Speaking just for myself, really unlikely. AFAIK I've never been infected, and with my medical vulnerabilities I would've noticed if I had been. Certainly Canada was satisfied, through the PCR test I obtained just before crossing the border and my proof of full vaccination, that its people wouldn't catch the virus from me during my visit there in October.

Speculation about roadgeek travels spreading Covid-19, despite best efforts to keep that from happening, is not helpful.

I echo this sentiment.  It's Jess's decision whether or not he wants to go through with hosting the meet, and it's up to individuals to choose for themselves whether or not they want to attend.  My experience is similar to Oscar's; I safely did a lot of travel in 2020 (including attending multiple road meets) prior to having access to the vaccine and don't believe I ever contracted the virus.  Of course, I'll never know for sure because many people with the virus can be asymptomatic, but still.  Everyone has their individual level of risk tolerance, and for me, I choose to continue to live my life as I see fit and travel as safely as possible.  I got vaccinated in early 2021, got my booster shot a few weeks ago, and continue to wear a mask in public (except when I'm dining out - which I won't do if the restaurant is crowded).

If Jess still hosts the meet and folks are not comfortable with the idea of attending, no one is forcing them to do so.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

At this point I have every intent of attending. It lines up nicely with a family event the next weekend in the South.

SSOWorld

Cannot commit yet.  I'm weighing my Hawaii plans - which must be executed this year.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

74/171FAN

I previously was really hoping to attend this, but at this point, it comes down to how long the baseball lockout continues.  My parents really want me to visit Truist Park with them in May.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

codyg1985

I still have a shot at attending, but it is going to depend on my wife's work schedule.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 04, 2021, 09:54:17 PM... don't believe I ever contracted the virus.  Of course, I'll never know for sure because many people with the virus can be asymptomatic, but still.

The next time you have any routine blood testing done, ask for an antibody test. I was offered one something like a year ago, but declined. The second time I was offered one, I accepted, and found out that I did not have the antibodies. Since the mRNA vaccines aren't traditional live or killed virus shots, your vaccination status should not affect the antibody test. If you test positive for antibodies, that means you actually had it whether you knew it or not.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on December 05, 2021, 07:38:41 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 04, 2021, 09:54:17 PM... don't believe I ever contracted the virus.  Of course, I'll never know for sure because many people with the virus can be asymptomatic, but still.

The next time you have any routine blood testing done, ask for an antibody test. I was offered one something like a year ago, but declined. The second time I was offered one, I accepted, and found out that I did not have the antibodies. Since the mRNA vaccines aren't traditional live or killed virus shots, your vaccination status should not affect the antibody test. If you test positive for antibodies, that means you actually had it whether you knew it or not.

Thanks for the suggestion!
-A.J. from Michigan

Scott5114

I'm still in, barring any sort of financial crisis that would make such a trip politically untenable at home.

I'm not particularly concerned about covid myself, having lived through the real deal and since being thrice vaccinated.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

signalman

I have intentions on attending. I have not submitted my time off request at work, but with sufficient advance notice it will be approved. I have been currently weighing my options on flying to Nashville or New Orleans (or a combination of the two - into one and out of the other) and going from there vs. driving down and back (and working out prospective itineraries for both). I'm not super worried about COVID as I have been vaccinated and plan to get a booster in January.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.