News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike striping/signing inconsistencies with the current MUTCD?

Started by Breadman17, August 30, 2021, 12:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: Alps on November 28, 2021, 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 27, 2021, 05:19:15 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 27, 2021, 11:26:42 AM
In 2023 when the 1-4 widening takes place, that will change to remove the current Turnpike signs and all signs will be MUTCD compliant.
I doubt that.  Exits 6-8A are in the old Turnpike style, not MUTCD, and were installed less than a decade ago with the widening there.  MUTCD-style signs are only pervasive on the Turnpike from exit 9 north.
Check the NJTA Standard Drawings online. That'll tell you their current standards. Hint: Current standards are slightly newer than the 6-8A signs.
Well, yeah, those don't meet current spec, but I don't see why they would rip them out early with the 1-4 widening like roadman65 thought.  I could see also doing exit 5 at the same time, though, since that exit alone would then end up with the oldest signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

storm2k

4 and 5 have gotten some new ground mount signs because they've taken older overhead structures down. So it's very possible that 5 will still get all new signs, but that's a time will tell thing.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2021, 12:41:11 PM
In 2023 when the 1-4 widening takes place, that will change to remove the current Turnpike signs and all signs will be MUTCD compliant.
I doubt that.  Exits 6-8A are in the old Turnpike style, not MUTCD, and were installed less than a decade ago with the widening there.  MUTCD-style signs are only pervasive on the Turnpike from exit 9 north.
Check the NJTA Standard Drawings online. That'll tell you their current standards. Hint: Current standards are slightly newer than the 6-8A signs.
Well, yeah, those don't meet current spec, but I don't see why they would rip them out early with the 1-4 widening like roadman65 thought.  I could see also doing exit 5 at the same time, though, since that exit alone would then end up with the oldest signs.

As far as I know there's no current plans to replace the current signage before the widening takes place. No one is saying they're updating the signage to current spec now.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 29, 2021, 03:50:37 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2021, 12:41:11 PM

As far as I know there's no current plans to replace the current signage before the widening takes place. No one is saying they're updating the signage to current spec now.
Right, I'm just saying there's no reason to match anything other than the current spec being used north of Int 9.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.