News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Staples Center Will No Longer Exist...Here's What's Going to Replace it

Started by Henry, November 17, 2021, 11:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

The building will still be there, but beginning with the Lakers' Christmas Day matchup with the Nets, it will be known as Crypto.com Arena:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32650662/staples-center-become-cryptocom-arena-rich-naming-rights-deal

The Kings and Sparks will continue to play in the arena, but the Clippers are slated to move to their new Inglewood arena by 2024.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SectorZ

hotdogPi

If some corporation tried to rename Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium, how much would each paying fan have to chip in to collectively outbid the corporation so that the current name can be kept?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1 on November 17, 2021, 03:54:27 PM
If some corporation tried to rename Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium, how much would each paying fan have to chip in to collectively outbid the corporation so that the current name can be kept?

For those older, iconic stadiums, their loophole has been to rename the playing surface instead of the facility, so you get something like "Mega Corp Field/Court at Old Time Stadium".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

I would chip in to the corporation so they could up their bid.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 17, 2021, 04:31:58 PM

For those older, iconic stadiums, their loophole has been to rename the playing surface instead of the facility, so you get something like "Mega Corp Field/Court at Old Time Stadium".

Then you have what UVA did with the football stadium. It's named Scott Stadium after Frederic Scott, a donor and university rector. In the mid-1990s, David A. Harrison III donated several million dollars to allow for the replacement of the Astroturf field with natural grass, so they named the field for him ("David A. Harrison III Field at Scott Stadium"). Then a few years after that, mega-donor Carl Smith donated $25 million towards the expansion of the stadium's seating capacity. But they couldn't name the field or the stadium after him, so they named "the area encompassing Scott Stadium" the "Carl Smith Center." The PA announcer welcomes you to "the Carl Smith Center, home of David A. Harrison III Field at Scott Stadium," which has to be the unwieldiest name I know of for any sports facility.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

And then there are the people like me who refuse to acknowledge naming rights unless they are paid, and thus use a former name, the planning name, or a made up name if there is no known unsponsored name :sombrero:. Thus, the thread subject is known to me as the L.A. Arena, both before and after the name change.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

LilianaUwU

This name change is incredibly frustrating for me because not only is it changing the name of a well-known venue, but the replacement is against my principles (I'm strongly against cryptocurrency).
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

wanderer2575

To a roadgeek angle:  What's the norm when a stadium or convention center is a destination on a BGS and then the facility's name is changed?  I guess it's one thing if the old sign remains until it's due for scheduled replacement and the new sign is fabricated with the new name, but what if the facility owner or naming-rights holder wants the sign changed earlier?  I would think they have to cover the costs, but there must have been a special arrangement for the facility to be included on the sign in the first place so who knows.

I'm thinking of the former Cobo Center in downtown Detroit, which was renamed to the TCF Center a few years ago when TCF Bank inherited the naming rights.  (Chemical Bank bought the rights, but was bought by TCF before it even had a chance to get its name on the building.)  MDOT sent out a crew to slap a "TCF" patch over the word "Cobo" on several BGSs on I-75.  Now Huntington Bank has bought TCF Bank and has said it will change the facility's name to Huntington Center or Huntington SomethingElse, neither of which will fit on a patch.  If they want the BGSs replaced, who usually would pay for that?

Bruce

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 18, 2021, 12:36:46 PM
To a roadgeek angle:  What's the norm when a stadium or convention center is a destination on a BGS and then the facility's name is changed?  I guess it's one thing if the old sign remains until it's due for scheduled replacement and the new sign is fabricated with the new name, but what if the facility owner or naming-rights holder wants the sign changed earlier?  I would think they have to cover the costs, but there must have been a special arrangement for the facility to be included on the sign in the first place so who knows.

There were two sign changes in quick succession in Seattle for the Safeco -> T-Mobile and CenturyLink -> Lumen renames. I don't think they were paid entirely by the venues, but if it were 100% state/city funded we would've heard about it.

1995hoo

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 18, 2021, 12:36:46 PM

I'm thinking of the former Cobo Center in downtown Detroit, which was renamed to the TCF Center a few years ago when TCF Bank inherited the naming rights.  (Chemical Bank bought the rights, but was bought by TCF before it even had a chance to get its name on the building.)  MDOT sent out a crew to slap a "TCF" patch over the word "Cobo" on several BGSs on I-75.  Now Huntington Bank has bought TCF Bank and has said it will change the facility's name to Huntington Center or Huntington SomethingElse, neither of which will fit on a patch.  If they want the BGSs replaced, who usually would pay for that?

DC used greenout when Verizon Center changed to Capital One Arena, but I don't know who paid for it, and I think they missed some non-BGS signage.

In New York, when the Mets moved from Shea Stadium to Citi Field, the subway station had been named "Willets Point—Shea Stadium." The MTA refused to make "Citi Field" part of the name unless either the Mets or Citi paid for the change (both refused), so the MTA renamed it "Mets—Willets Point" to avoid the expense of a future renaming if the sponsorship changed (bearing in mind that it's not just signage at that stop because every subway car in the system carries a system map that names every station).

GaryV

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 18, 2021, 12:36:46 PMI'm thinking of the former Cobo Center in downtown Detroit, which was renamed to the TCF Center a few years ago when TCF Bank inherited the naming rights.
FIRST Robotics has a big championship at TCF (except for Covid in 2021, and now the 2022 event has been cancelled in favor of Houston).  They listed it as TCF (formerly Cobo).  I wondered if in future years they'd need to list it as Huntington (formerly TCF (formerly Cobo)).

jeffandnicole

In Philly, while the Phillies ballpark has always been known as Citizens Bank Park, the bank changed their logo at one point.  The result was everything in the ballpark related to Citizens Bank had to be changed, from the large signs atop the stadium to 43,000 cupholders that had the old logo.

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2021, 12:53:04 PM
In New York, when the Mets moved from Shea Stadium to Citi Field, the subway station had been named "Willets Point—Shea Stadium." The MTA refused to make "Citi Field" part of the name unless either the Mets or Citi paid for the change (both refused), so the MTA renamed it "Mets—Willets Point" to avoid the expense of a future renaming if the sponsorship changed (bearing in mind that it's not just signage at that stop because every subway car in the system carries a system map that names every station).

SEPTA in Philly has decided to giving naming rights to the subway *station* that serves the sports complex in South Philly.  Instead of keeping it Pattison Ave, which is the main road thru the sports complex, they first sold the naming rights to AT&T Station, then to NRG Station, both of which represent nothing found in the area.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 18, 2021, 01:44:10 PM
In Philly, while the Phillies ballpark has always been known as Citizens Bank Park, the bank changed their logo at one point.  The result was everything in the ballpark related to Citizens Bank had to be changed, from the large signs atop the stadium to 43,000 cupholders that had the old logo.

I'd like to know what happened with the Ralph Engelstad Arena at the University of North Dakota. The donor who paid for it had the Fighting Sioux logo included in as many places as possible (several thousand places), including embroidered in the backs of the leather seats and inlaid in the granite concourse. Ultimately the university and the state gave in to NCAA interference and changed the name to Fighting Hawks, but I'd love to know what happened with all the logos throughout the arena due to the extreme cost of removing them.

elsmere241

My rule of thumb is to not invest in a company you know only from putting its name on a stadium or arena.  I've seen so many of them go under.  (And don't get me started with the ________ Center in Philadelphia.)

triplemultiplex

Big John

^^ In 2006, the Arizona Cardinals rejected the name of their new stadium name of "Pink Taco Stadium".

Roadgeekteen

It's an awful name. I still don't get the point of NFT's besides just being a big ripoff.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 31, 2022, 04:21:25 AM
It's an awful name. I still don't get the point of NFT's besides just being a big ripoff.

The Pet Rock of the 2020's.

MCRoads

Honestly, I am not against Cryptocurrency, as it has basically the same extrinsic value as all currency: 0. It is worth something because people say it is.

Now that NFT crap I don't understand, and I think it's kind of pointless. What's to stop me from getting a random ass picture of my dog and calming it's worth $1000?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Rothman

Quote from: MCRoads on April 01, 2022, 09:22:31 AM
Honestly, I am not against Cryptocurrency, as it has basically the same extrinsic value as all currency: 0. It is worth something because people say it is.

Now that NFT crap I don't understand, and I think it's kind of pointless. What's to stop me from getting a random ass picture of my dog and calming it's worth $1000?
The answer is "the blockchain."

(See the South Park meme above...same b.s.)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SP Cook

If you go back to the beginning of the modern era of stadium and arena names, which I would say is the mid-90s, and go forward, you realize one thing.  Many, maybe most, of these companies are long since broke and out of business.  Maybe it is a function of what types of companies generally buy these types of things, trying to look all legitimate. 

The fact that NFTs and mob-currency are the latest buyers is probably an example of that.

kurumi

Quote from: MCRoads on April 01, 2022, 09:22:31 AM

The winning move is to (under another name) buy it from yourself for $1000. Then it really is worth $1000.

This 2 hour (!) video is a decent takedown of blockchain, NFTs, and related. There may be some good peacetime uses of this tech, but the current uses (and promised applications) have a lot of problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.