News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

World War II era Military and Hawaii Routes

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 20, 2022, 03:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

If anyone has read any of the highway blogs on the O'ahu thread they probably have noticed the 1946 Army Day Map from Oscar's page that I reference regarding World War II era Military and Hawaii Routes:

http://hawaiihighways.com/1946-army-day-map.pdf

The Military Routes are US Route Shields whereas the Hawaii Routes are Spades I believe were likely supplied by the California Auto Clubs.  I had some observations based off looking at the Army Day Map:

-  Military Routes 1, 2 and 3 clearly are the most important highways.  They seem to function very similar to how Interstates H-1, H-2 and H-3 do today as being primary transportation corridors on O'ahu.
-  Military Routes 11, 12, 13, 16 and 17 are functionally the Secondary Tier of Primary Highways (example; Military Route 16 is aligned over the Old Pali Highway).  All the two digit Military Route connect to Military Route 1 (which circles O'ahu).  There is no Military Route 14 or 15 for reasons I can't discern.
-  Some of the one and two digit Military Routes have spurs like Hawaii Route 12A.
-  The Hawaii Routes for the most part are in the 1XX, 2XX or 3XX ranges.  Overwhelmingly most connect to Military Routes 1-3 with some exceptions for the two digit Military Routes.  For the most part the number assignments seem to be sequential and/or clustered similar to hybrid or Washington and Nevada State Highway Numbering assignments. 

I don't know, this seems like a really sound numbering system to me and well thought out.  I get that the 1955 System is based off Federal Aid Program assignments based in numbering ranges.  At first blush that's a pretty decent system too until you get into overly recycled numbers and weird shit like 76 becoming 760 only to be reverted back to 76 later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.