News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

The 2FA service we use allows you to either use their app (smartphone required), or they call you and you pick up and push 1 (dumbphone required), or you can use a single-use pre-generated passcode (no phone required). I have like six of those backup codes written down on a sticky note so that I can get in if my phone dies. Seems like something of that sort should be an option for you.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on May 04, 2022, 10:32:22 AM
The 2FA service we use allows you to either use their app (smartphone required), or they call you and you pick up and push 1 (dumbphone required), or you can use a single-use pre-generated passcode (no phone required). I have like six of those backup codes written down on a sticky note so that I can get in if my phone dies. Seems like something of that sort should be an option for you.

And it's a question that IT is certainly prepared to answer.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

snowc

We dont do codes at our college.

SM-G550T

JoePCool14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 12:04:05 AM
With kids, that gets interesting if you look at it pragmatically...  Kids don't really provide a "return on investment"  so to speak anymore (given things like family farm jobs are rare now State side) and essentially are at best a 18 year financial black hole.  I don't think it would be underselling it to say they many adults would be far more financially healthy if they didn't have kids.

Looking at children from a purely financial perspective is incredibly stupid. You could say the same about getting married in most cases, but you don't see as many people* going around happily single. Relationships with children (really family, in general) are priceless.

* I know people remain single for a variety of reasons, but my point is that it's culturally less common than remaining childless.

Also, to address the 2FA debate: I get why it exists, and it is effective, but stop making me do it over and over again on the same computer. It's obvious it's me, let me save my password!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

snowc

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 04, 2022, 10:49:40 AM
With kids, that gets interesting if you look at it pragmatically...  Kids don't really provide a "return on investment"  so to speak anymore (given things like family farm jobs are rare now State side) and essentially are at best a 18 year financial black hole.  I don't think it would be underselling it to say they many adults would be far more financially healthy if they didn't have kids.

Looking at children from a purely financial perspective is incredibly stupid. You could say the same about getting married in most cases, but you don't see as many people* going around happily single. Relationships with children (really family, in general) are priceless.

* I know people remain single for a variety of reasons, but my point is that it's culturally less common than remaining childless.

Also, to address the 2FA debate: I get why it exists, and it is effective, but stop making me do it over and over again on the same computer. It's obvious it's me, let me save my password!
2FA is way too complicated. Having to provide a phone and a PIN is a shame how attackers are breaking into the Internet.  :banghead:

Max Rockatansky

But that's just the thing, having children would be an expense most people would be wise to consider beforehand.  Really until recently I wouldn't have thought that I could have afforded a child and continued to live my accustomed financially comfortable life.  That's finally changed, hence the reason my wife and I are trying for less pragmatic reasons.  Problem is now that we are both about 40, so all bets are off.  Really I'm okay either way if it does/doesn't happen.

snowc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 10:55:36 AM

But that's just the thing, having children would be an expense most people would be wise to consider beforehand.  Really until recently I wouldn't have thought that I could have afforded a child and continued to live my accustomed financially comfortable life.  That's finally changed, hence the reason my wife and I are trying for less pragmatic reasons.  Problem is now that we are both about 40, so all bets are off.  Really I'm okay either way if it does/doesn't happen.
My cousin (a woman) is now pregnant with her second child, the first was with another guy. Her husband (soon to be) is in his 30s and she is 35. How in the world would somebody be pregnant this late in her life?!  :D
On the other hand, my mother was 39 when she gave birth to me. My dad, however, was 29 when I was born.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 10:59:23 AM

My cousin (a woman) is now pregnant with her second child, the first was with another guy. Her husband (soon to be) is in his 30s and she is 35. How in the world would somebody be pregnant this late in her life?!  :D
On the other hand, my mother was 39 when she gave birth to me. My dad, however, was 29 when I was born.

My Mom was 35 when I was born, so why not me at 39 and my wife at 37?  35 back then was probably considered far older societally back in 1982 than it is today.  Neither of us has any apparent health complications that would be an obstruction.

kphoger

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 10:38:16 AM

Have you specifically asked?  Earlier, I linked to a publication–just one year old–from your college that outlined steps for both text and phone call options.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

snowc

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 11:10:54 AM
Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 10:38:16 AM

Have you specifically asked?  Earlier, I linked to a publication–just one year old–from your college that outlined steps for both text and phone call options.
Yes, I have contacted Helpdesk and told me that there was no other options.

kphoger

If I were you, I'd put in a formal written complaint to student services or whatever department, stating that it's a financial burden and that other institutions offer text or phone call options.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 11:59:53 AM
If I were you, I'd put in a formal written complaint to student services or whatever department, stating that it's a financial burden and that other institutions offer text or phone call options.
Except 2FA that involves sending a code by phone or text is really, really easy to spoof.

JoePCool14

I agree. Financial situations absolutely impact the ability to have children, there's no question about it. But considering ease of having children decreases over time from a biological perspective, it's better to try sooner, and adjust to the changes as needed. If it means sacrificing more for the child instead of comfortably spending it on myself, I'd like to say I would choose the former.

I'm only 21, unmarried and childless. So I know I've got a life to live ahead of me which will definitely affect my opinions on that over time.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 12:00:53 PM

Except 2FA that involves sending a code by phone or text is really, really easy to spoof.

I must admit...  I use two different MFAs on my computer at work.  One of them is to lock down a VPN for one of the MSOs we work for, and I use a PC widget (VIP Access) to generate the six-digit code.  The day the code popped up as 000000, I seriously considered not entering it.  But I did anyway.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 12:03:59 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 12:00:53 PM

I must admit...  I use two different MFAs on my computer at work.  One of them is to lock down a VPN for one of the MSOs we work for, and I use a PC widget (VIP Access) to generate the six-digit code.  The day the code popped up as 000000, I seriously considered not entering it.  But I did anyway.
Hey, things that have a one-in-a-million chance of happening...still happen.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 04, 2022, 12:03:12 PM

I agree. Financial situations absolutely impact the ability to have children, there's no question about it. But considering ease of having children decreases over time from a biological perspective, it's better to try sooner, and adjust to the changes as needed. If it means sacrificing more for the child instead of comfortably spending it on myself, I'd like to say I would choose the former.

I'm only 21, unmarried and childless. So I know I've got a life to live ahead of me which will definitely affect my opinions on that over time.

Put it this way, speaking for myself I think it would have altered my life in a less than ideal way.  I wouldn't have been able to clinch the National Parks in the lower 48 states and travel anywhere to the extent I have if say I had kids around say 25.  To me (this is a subjective measure) it was way more important to do things like that earlier in my life when I would almost certainly be actually be physically well enough to enjoy them.  I guess that you could say I couldn't sacrifice for a person who was hypothetical over myself.  Better in my view to wait until there wasn't much of a sacrifice or just not have kids at all. 

hbelkins

Misc.transport.road (and Usenet in general)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on May 04, 2022, 12:41:25 PM
Misc.transport.road (and Usenet in general)

There's nothing harder to stop than that who's time has passed.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 12:35:53 PM

Put it this way, speaking for myself I think it would have altered my life in a less than ideal way.  I wouldn't have been able to clinch the National Parks in the lower 48 states and travel anywhere to the extent I have if say I had kids around say 25.  To me (this is a subjective measure) it was way more important to do things like that earlier in my life when I would almost certainly be actually be physically well enough to enjoy them.  I guess that you could say I couldn't sacrifice for a person who was hypothetical over myself.  Better in my view to wait until there wasn't much of a sacrifice or just not have kids at all.
Hope you got to Gateway Arch NP. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2022, 01:09:47 PM

Yes, before it was a National Park.  The same thing happened retroactively to places I've been like; Indiana Dunes, White Sands National Monument and New River Gorge.  I do have an excuse to go back to Gateway Arch now though to get my wife her hiking bag pin and map for my collection.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 01:14:29 PM

Yes, before it was a National Park.

Then you have not. :>

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2022, 01:15:05 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 01:14:29 PM

Yes, before it was a National Park.

Then you have not. :>

We do intend to remedy White Sands next year on cross country drive.  It's possible I'll be returning to New River Gorge as part of the Philadelphia Road Meet Week.  I guess Gateway Arch would be workable if I ever got serious about exploring the corridor of US 66 again (I'm not too keen on a full repeat).

bulldog1979

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 10:59:23 AM

My great grandparents were each remarried and had four kids in their 40s... back in the late 1920s and 1930s. Great grandma was 40 (granduncle), 41 (grandma and her twin brother) and 45 (grandaunt) for those births.

JoePCool14

Then it just comes down to personal opinion which is understandable.

I enjoy driving and clinching routes or non-roadgeek hobbies like video-game collecting, but it's not always particularly satisfying. The idea of raising kids sounds more fulfilling to me, and then I also might get the chance to share or pass-down those interests.

ethanhopkin14

Warren Zevon.

Enjoying every sandwich.

(those are actually two separate thoughts)

Your favorite football team having a bye so you don't feel like your Saturday/Sunday is partially taken up, no matter how much you love football.

Pittsburgh, PA

Waking up accidently at your usual time on a Saturday to then have the feeling come over you that you don't have to get up.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.