News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NCAA Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) discussion

Started by skluth, May 05, 2022, 04:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

I didn't see a discussion of the Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) issue here. I thought some might want to discuss what they think of it, how it will affect various programs, how it affects student-athletes staying in school, how athletes may use the transfer portal to increase their NIL income, etc.

skluth

My first impression is just how some programs may be decimated. I don't know if Gonzaga has many wealthy alumni boosters, but it's the first program I thought might be seriously affected by not being able to attract recruits compared to SEC, Big Ten, or even Pac 10 schools. While Gonzaga has launched a program to coordinate their NIL efforts, I wonder whether they can continue to attract athletes like Chet Holmgren and Jalen Suggs. I can't see them continuing as a perennial top 10 program within about five years time; too much money to be made at schools with more active boosters.

JayhawkCO

Agreed. It's good for some schools (like mine) where kids have a bunch of media attention, but it's only going to consolidate the talent to the upper tiers even more and make the transfer portal basically a meat market.

NWI_Irish96

Believe it or not, I think the NIL money and the transfer portal may reverse the trend of a handful of teams making the playoff every year. A top recruit who initially commits to Alabama but is still stuck on the bench behind older stars may be less likely to wait his turn at Alabama when he can transfer somewhere else, get on the field right away, and get the NIL money that comes with it.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SectorZ

Cocah Prime is dead right, it's turning college sports into free agency. I agree with the NIL premise nonetheless, but the unintended consequences are a PITA for a lot of schools right now.

SP Cook

- There are two reasons to have a NIL deal from the buyer's side.  One is basic advertising capitalism.  I think that having Athlete A endorse my widget will result in my selling enough extra widgets such that my profit will excede what I paid Athlete A.  I do not see that happening.  Rather the idea is that I, as a big supporter of State U, pay Athlete A to do some nominal endorsement of some product, such that he will attend/remain at State U and thus we can beat Tech U this year, with my actual return being beating that hated rival. 

- At the end of the day, my money is on people with money.  There is more $$ on two blocks in Miami than in the state of Alabama.  If "boosters"  are really willing to make nutty decisions with their money so they can feel good about "their"  (often same words as on their driver's license, no other relationship) school, then there you go.

- But, this sounds a lot like the minor leagues.  And just how big is minor league baseball?  Is somebody going to confuse the Birmingham Barons with Crimson Tide football in terms of impact? 

- At the end of the day, however, it is a myth that college sports are this huge $$ maker in the first place.  Yes, football and men's basketball rake in $$, and they spend it on all the other sports that the NCAA and Title IX make them have.  A handful make serious money, most major programs break even, and most non-power teams lose millions.  Sports exist to convince people that have no real relationship to the school that somehow it is "us"  and to not look too close at what it does with all that tax money.  There are states where, if major sports did not exist, more people would know where the state prison is located than the state university named for the state.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.