News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in TX

Started by Grzrd, October 09, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

I think OSM got wayyy too excited. I cannot confirm anything I don't see on satellite images, but I doubt that anything other than the Sarita exit and the Yturria exit (including that "exit" on the north side of Sarita you mentioned) exists at all currently. Maybe the OSM editor responsible got a hold of some sort of future plans by TxDOT and put it in on the map prematurely.

The only thing that may need changing on Travel Mapping is that I-69E is now signed (on only one sign) on the I-37/US 77 concurrency, as sprjus4 noted here:

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 13, 2021, 12:45:25 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 01, 2021, 10:54:29 AM
I-69E now overlaps I-37? Interesting they'd make a move this early with no US-77 upgrade north of I-37.

I'll be in the area next month, I will update if anything changes.
Drove by the area today, managed to take a picture of the new gantry. Indeed, both I-37 and I-69E are co-signed at the northern US-77 interchange. Interestingly enough, no other I-69E shields until its southern split near Calallen, just I-37 and US-77.

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

yakra

Thanks for the responses. Made some minor changes.
We discussed sprjus4's post a while back, and decided signage was inconsistent enough to do nothing with 69E via 37 for now. It'll get there eventually. :)
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

J N Winkler

Quote from: yakra on October 30, 2021, 07:12:33 PM
I don't see any slip ramps on OSM or Google Satellite (SB, that is. NB, is this Exit 52?) until... holy cow. North of Yturria. Seriously? You gotta get off that early to take US77 Bus?

That is correct, per the project layout for CCSJ 0327-10-057 in Willacy County.  It's more a question of no direct connection being provided.  US 77 Business will continue to be accessible from former southbound US 77, now being repurposed as the US 77 southbound frontage road.

Quote from: yakra on October 30, 2021, 07:12:33 PMFinally, on that note, is Exit 51 still a thing?

Same geometry + one more puzzle piece (new mainlanes) = opposite functionality; an exit becomes an entrance.

It's not the mainline behind the camera & ahead to the left with an exit straight ahead anymore--it's the frontage road behind the camera & straight ahead, with an entrance ramp bearing off left.

This is correct.  The overhead signbridge is to be removed, as is all southbound large-panel advance signing for US 77 Business.  (The signing for Yturria will indicate the possibility of connecting with US 77 Business via the frontage road only through a ground-mounted trailblazer--US 77 Business will not appear on the large panel signs.)

Quote from: yakra on October 30, 2021, 07:12:33 PMIs I-69E now signed farther north than the US77 Bus (Raymondville) exit?

It is to be, per the construction plans for CCSJ 0327-10-057 (north end of Raymondville bypass to just short of Willacy/Kenedy county line) and CCSJ 0327-10-062 (continuation north across the county line).  As no pull-through signs are to be used, I-69E shields will appear exclusively in ground-mounted trailblazer and route confirmation assemblies.

Quote from: yakra on October 30, 2021, 07:12:33 PMAnyone seen signage? Is there an exit number, or signed road (or place) name?

I'm not going to try to describe field conditions, interim or otherwise--others live much closer to the area than I do.  However, here are the guide sign messages from the plans:

Northbound I-69E/US 77:

*  La Esperanza (no exit number)

*  Yturria Co Rd/H Yturria/La Chata N Gate (no exit number)

*  Thomas Ranch Rd/H Yturria/Punta Del Monte (Exit 56)

Southbound I-69E/US 77:

*  Thomas Ranch Rd/H Yturria/Punta Del Monte (Exit 56)

*  Yturria Co Rd/H Yturria/La Chata N Gate (no exit number)

*  La Esperanza (no exit number)

I don't know what the "H" in "H Yturria" stands for.  However, H. Yturria Ranch is a registered business (has a DNB number and everything) and offers safari-style game hunting in separate areas called Punta del Monte, La Chata, and La Joya.  Their Facebook page includes a pricelist (dated August 23) with four-figure costs for native-to-Africa game animals such as impala, springbok, blesbok, beisa, and so on.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Thegeet

H stands for Hacienda.

yakra

Thanks for the replies.
Hmph. Unnumbered exits on a razzafrazzn interstate? What kinda tomfoolery is this? Mumble grumble.
Hopefully that was just not included in the plans for whatever reason, and eventually it'll show up properly in the field?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Thegeet

Quote from: yakra on November 01, 2021, 10:19:31 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Hmph. Unnumbered exits on a razzafrazzn interstate? What kinda tomfoolery is this? Mumble grumble.
Hopefully that was just not included in the plans for whatever reason, and eventually it'll show up properly in the field?
And instead of "Exit 1 Mile" , they read "1/2 mile"  (numbers for simulation only). And it's already signed I-69E on the reassurance markers IIRC.

J N Winkler

Quote from: yakra on November 01, 2021, 10:19:31 AMHmph. Unnumbered exits on a razzafrazzn interstate? What kinda tomfoolery is this? Mumble grumble.

Yes, it's odd.  I don't know if a change order has been or will be issued in respect of the signs that don't have exit numbers.  (Apropos of Thegeet's comment, the as-let plans show that exits with no signed number are to use "Exit 1/2 Mile" as the distance expression on the advance guide signs, while those for Exit 56 are to use "1/2 Mile.")
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Thegeet

Instead of Exit 51, there is now a "TO Business US 77"  sign to direct BUS-77 users to use the last SB Yturria exit.

O Tamandua

Thank you ALL for your answers on the Kenedy County part of I-69 E.  Psychologically, that's going to be a big boost to this whole project when complete due to the sheer length of it.

BTW, this is an article today from TRAINS magazine on the impending Canadian Pacific/Kansas City Southern merger.  Though not a perfect parallel between Omaha and Winnipeg, it's fascinating how closely this network will parallel the Laredo/Brownsville-Houston-Minneapolis and Winnipeg-New Orleans corridors which the Texas I-69 and I-49 highway network will also serve.  The CPKC's marketing team is optimistically hoping to gain freight (as always) by taking trucks off the road.  Guessing they'll want to build brand loyalty between Kansas City and Laredo/Brownsville before the highways are complete.  Sharing this on the Arkansas I-49 thread as well.:

CP and KCS project dramatic rise in daily train counts

The Canadian Pacific-Kansas City Southern merger application highlights projected increases in traffic on the new railroad's north-south spine, as well as planned capacity improvements. (Trains.com, with information from CP-KCS)
WASHINGTON — Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern say their proposed merger will generate significant traffic growth, with daily train counts on the combined system's north-south spine projected to more than double within three years.

The traffic details were among those included in the railways' 4,342-page, 1-gigabyte merger application filed with U.S. regulators late Friday. The document, posted to the Surface Transportation Board website overnight Monday, includes Canadian Pacific Kansas City's operating plans, outlines capacity expansion projects, and makes projections for traffic and job growth that would flow from the creation of the first railroad to link Canada, the U.S., and Mexico.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/cp-and-kcs-project-dramatic-rise-in-daily-train-counts/?fbclid=IwAR0O-VcBN4JrVVuCyd8iUsNgSw8rbYAddESBAuadLV-c5f5p4x_H8HNXfmo

Plutonic Panda

Is that part close to Arkansas/Oklahoma border in Oklahoma or Arkansas?

MikieTimT

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 02, 2021, 08:03:57 PM
Is that part close to Arkansas/Oklahoma border in Oklahoma or Arkansas?

Going south, it's in Arkansas along the AR-59 corridor until Siloam Springs, then pops over to Oklahoma and runs along the US-59 corridor until it pops back into Arkansas at Mena and runs along US-71 in Arkansas the rest of the way near the border, so it's pretty much within 5 miles of the border other than some westward swings on the OK side where US-59 swings westerly for a bit.

chays

I'm trying to determing the status of the SH-44 project just east of Robstown. There is an overpass being constructed at Violet Rd, but I can't find anything with regards to a completion date. Anyone in that area have an idea?

yakra

Quote from: chays on November 05, 2021, 05:49:33 PM
There is an overpass being constructed at Violet Rd, but I can't find anything with regards to a completion date.
OK wow. Whoever's doing the OSM editing down there is feeling a little frisky...

Thegeet

Quote from: Thegeet on November 02, 2021, 04:15:41 PM
Instead of Exit 51, there is now a "TO Business US 77"  sign to direct BUS-77 users to use the last SB Yturria exit.
I've been waiting for google to try to implement new imagery for street view in that area, but alas, google has gone M.I.A. again.
Quote from: chays on November 05, 2021, 05:49:33 PM
There is an overpass being constructed at Violet Rd, but I can't find anything with regards to a completion date.
Assuming the imagery in google is taken in April 2021 (like other imagery in Texas), it should probably be already in use, or near completion (finished by December).

Thegeet

Breaking News: Google Maps has reported a northbound closure on US 77 in Driscoll. This could be the connection in progress for the new I-69E bypass. Or maybe it was an accident. Still, it is something worth monitoring.

thisdj78

Quote from: Thegeet on November 12, 2021, 04:24:37 PM
Breaking News: Google Maps has reported a northbound closure on US 77 in Driscoll. This could be the connection in progress for the new I-69E bypass. Or maybe it was an accident. Still, it is something worth monitoring.

Waze shows the Northbound lane of the bypass as being open so you're likely right.

Thegeet

Quote from: thisdj78 on November 14, 2021, 08:26:31 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on November 12, 2021, 04:24:37 PM

Waze shows the Northbound lane of the bypass as being open so you're likely right.
I'm hoping someone on YT will let us see the new bypass. When the entire bypass opens entirely, I-69E will be signed in Bishop and Kingsville.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Renewed roadgeek

Thegeet

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Thegeet on December 12, 2021, 10:29:16 PM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 12, 2021, 10:26:28 PM
There has been newer portions of I-69E north of Raymondville up to Yturria Ranch as indicated on Google Maps Street View from last month

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.5682796,-97.7699849,3a,75y,7.46h,83.81t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sB2iWmgu5I26ngTdW8h-nRA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DB2iWmgu5I26ngTdW8h-nRA%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D297.65137%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
As expected, exit 51 is removed. Also, the northbound Driscoll Bypass is open. The old north US 77 lanes are closed through Driscoll.

I just noticed Exit 51 closed for southbound I-69E. I am hoping to see any media of the Driscoll Bypass as well.
Renewed roadgeek

Thegeet

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 12, 2021, 10:38:35 PM
There has been newer portions of I-69E north of Raymondville up to Yturria Ranch as indicated on Google Maps Street View from last month

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.5682796,-97.7699849,3a,75y,7.46h,83.81t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sB2iWmgu5I26ngTdW8h-nRA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DB2iWmgu5I26ngTdW8h-nRA%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D297.65137%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
As expected, exit 51 is removed. Also, the northbound Driscoll Bypass is open. The old north US 77 lanes are closed through Driscoll.

I just noticed Exit 51 closed for southbound I-69E. I am hoping to see any media of the Driscoll Bypass as well.
I don't think they will cover it, considering the lack of exposure of Driscoll recently. But it's possible.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Thegeet on December 12, 2021, 10:48:28 PM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 12, 2021, 10:38:35 PM

I don't think they will cover it, considering the lack of exposure of Driscoll recently. But it's possible.

True. Additionally, there was some construction north past one of the entrances of the Yturria Ranch, even a new set of bridges over the ranch entrance roads.
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.5733294,-97.7700573,122m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
Renewed roadgeek

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Recent update of the US 59 & TX Loop 224 interchange project as of yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p0ybTIAxM0

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/lufkin/us59south-loop224.html
According to TxDOT, this is supposed to be open by the summer of 2023.
Renewed roadgeek

CoreySamson

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 17, 2021, 05:02:42 PM
Recent update of the US 59 & TX Loop 224 interchange project as of yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p0ybTIAxM0

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/lufkin/us59south-loop224.html
According to TxDOT, this is supposed to be open by the summer of 2023.
Cool, thanks for sharing! Doesn't look like there's much progress on the northern section of the project, but pleasantly surprised how much south of it is done.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

yakra

Nice, I-69E is clearly posted going north from Yturria.
But how far. The Google car turned around there. :(

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.