News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in TX

Started by Grzrd, October 09, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Chris on July 10, 2022, 05:00:22 PM

I'm looking at the timeline of the US 59 to I-69 upgrade in Fort Bend County. It seems like the upgrade from a four lane divided highway to a freeway was completed in 2019, but they immediately continued work to expand it to six lanes between the Wharton county line and the original beginning of the freeway near Rosenberg?

Each section was a single project to upgrade to freeway standards and widen. I don't think 2019 is correct for anything west of the Grand Parkway (SH 99). From SH99 to FM 762, which is 4-1H-1H-4 (H=HOV), I have a photos from June 2020 with it complete, and I think it was just completed when I took those photos. West of FM 762, which is 3x3, work on the main lanes has been recent, like still in progress in 2021, and frontage road work may still be in progress in certain places.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

TheBox

Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

TheBox

Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Phudman

The most recent drone flyby of the Nacogdoches bypass.

https://youtu.be/2ow6Ip2gbu0

sprjus4

I-69 is complete between Kendleton and Rosenberg with 3 lanes and full shoulders in each direction, however is still only signed as US-59.

Additionally, there's still a 55 mph work zone speed limit all the way up to SH-99, however traffic was easily moving in excess of 75 mph. It's a pointless limit that needs to be reverted back to 65 mph. There's zero work occurring.

abqtraveler

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 21, 2022, 10:06:03 PM
I-69 is complete between Kendleton and Rosenberg with 3 lanes and full shoulders in each direction, however is still only signed as US-59.

Additionally, there's still a 55 mph work zone speed limit all the way up to SH-99, however traffic was easily moving in excess of 75 mph. It's a pointless limit that needs to be reverted back to 65 mph. There's zero work occurring.
The signing of the upgraded sections of US-59 as I-69 is not automatic upon completion of construction. Extending the I-69 designation over sections of US-59 that have recently been upgraded to interstate standards has to be signed off by the FHWA, then AASHTO before I-69 sign can go up on those sections.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Thegeet

Quote from: abqtraveler on July 22, 2022, 12:33:20 AM

The signing of the upgraded sections of US-59 as I-69 is not automatic upon completion of construction. Extending the I-69 designation over sections of US-59 that have recently been upgraded to interstate standards has to be signed off by the FHWA, then AASHTO before I-69 sign can go up on those sections.
When do the FHWA and AASHTO meetings for approval take place this year?

abqtraveler

Quote from: Thegeet on July 23, 2022, 02:07:40 AM

The AASHTO has two meetings where US and interstate route number applications are considered: the Spring Meeting that is held in May, and the Annual Meeting that's held in October. I haven't seen the route numbering decisions from AASHTO's spring meeting. If someone has those decisions, please post them.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

edwaleni

Quote from: abqtraveler on July 24, 2022, 09:06:39 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on July 23, 2022, 02:07:40 AM

The AASHTO has two meetings where US and interstate route number applications are considered: the Spring Meeting that is held in May, and the Annual Meeting that's held in October. I haven't seen the route numbering decisions from AASHTO's spring meeting. If someone has those decisions, please post them.

The last route change approvals are posted here:

https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2022/02/Final-Report-USRN-Application-Results-Fall-2021.pdf

As you can see there is significant delay between the meeting time and the posting time with a 4 month gap between them.

TheBox

Thegeet

Now can we finally have shift done on Jackson County for once in our lifetime.

ITB

Maybe this drone video of the Diboll bypass has already been posted, but I looked and didn't find it.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: ITB on August 19, 2022, 10:23:17 PM

Maybe this drone video of the Diboll bypass has already been posted, but I looked and didn't find it.

I wonder if there is an updated video or what changed since this video had been uploaded.  :hmmm:
Renewed roadgeek

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on August 19, 2022, 10:23:17 PM

Does anyone know why so much of the south end of the bypass is on a viaduct?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Bobby5280

Within Google Earth there is fairly recent overhead imagery of the Diboll Bypass, dated 3/2022. It doesn't show up in the default view. It is available in the historical imagery slider. At the North end of the bypass Street View imagery is dated 6/2022.

O Tamandua

From TxDOT Pharr District Twitter feed, minutes ago:
Alliance for I-69 Texas, #TxDOT & local leaders celebrate the addition of 5.6 miles of I-69E to the Interstate Highway System in Kenedy & Willacy counties. This corridor is an important lifeline for US & TX economies.  Upgrade enhances safety & improves mobility & connectivity.

Forgive me if this is old news, but does this mean I-69 is complete in Willacy County?  Good to see Kenedy getting into the system (even though it has a way to go) as well.

https://twitter.com/TxDOTPharr/status/1586050178875887618/photo/1

ARMOURERERIC

Bobby5280

Quote from: O TamanduaForgive me if this is old news, but does this mean I-69 is complete in Willacy County?

Yeah, the North end of the I-69E freeway work in the Raymondville area ends on US-77 at the Willacy/Kenedy County line.

splashflash

Quote from: Thegeet on May 13, 2022, 10:18:22 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 13, 2022, 07:56:11 PM
Once a contractor's bid is chosen how long will it be for construction to get started on the Corrigan bypass?

Corrigan is about 14 miles South of Diboll.
First, the contractor has to sign a contract. Then, it has 90 days to start construction. The signing can take anywhere from a week to a year. The bid for US 59 Frontage road project between US 87 and SH 185 in Victoria was chosen in September and work didn't start until April.
https://www.kltv.com/2022/12/07/txdot-breaks-ground-170-million-relief-route-corrigan/
Traffic woes are caused by a single red light in town at the intersection of U.S. 59 and 289. With U.S. 59 being a major route for commuters between Lufkin and Livingston, traffic can get so out of hand that officers sometimes have to come and direct traffic according to Hudman.

"I don't know if everybody knows this but we're the first red light out of Houston,"  Hudman said. "It's pretty significant."

But TxDOT is aiming to remedy the problem with a $172.8 million Corrigan Relief Route that broke ground Dec. 5.

The seven-mile project includes an overpass that will run above Corrigan, bypassing the town and giving relief to commuters and the community from the constant traffic jams.

bwana39

Quote from: splashflash on December 08, 2022, 12:27:23 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on May 13, 2022, 10:18:22 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 13, 2022, 07:56:11 PM
Once a contractor's bid is chosen how long will it be for construction to get started on the Corrigan bypass?

Corrigan is about 14 miles South of Diboll.
First, the contractor has to sign a contract. Then, it has 90 days to start construction. The signing can take anywhere from a week to a year. The bid for US 59 Frontage road project between US 87 and SH 185 in Victoria was chosen in September and work didn't start until April.
https://www.kltv.com/2022/12/07/txdot-breaks-ground-170-million-relief-route-corrigan/
Traffic woes are caused by a single red light in town at the intersection of U.S. 59 and 289. With U.S. 59 being a major route for commuters between Lufkin and Livingston, traffic can get so out of hand that officers sometimes have to come and direct traffic according to Hudman.

"I don't know if everybody knows this but we're the first red light out of Houston,"  Hudman said. "It's pretty significant."

But TxDOT is aiming to remedy the problem with a $172.8 million Corrigan Relief Route that broke ground Dec. 5.

The seven-mile project includes an overpass that will run above Corrigan, bypassing the town and giving relief to commuters and the community from the constant traffic jams.

What does "ABOVE Corrigan" mean?

https://www.txdot.gov/content/txdotreimagine/us/en/home/projects/projects-studies/lufkin/us59-corrigan-relief-route-future-I69.html
https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot-info/i69/polk/us-59-corrigan-fact-sheet.pdf
https://kicks105.com/massive-170-million-highway-59-project-to-begin-near-corrigan/

The impact of the Red Light may have been purposefully exaggerated. After the real work on the bypass engineering was begun, the traffic signal was reprogrammed and the traffic flows far better (but still a far cry from optimal.)
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

splashflash

What does "ABOVE Corrigan" mean?

I kind of wondered that myself.  Seems the townsfolk are happy enough though.

https://www.txdot.gov/content/txdotreimagine/us/en/home/projects/projects-studies/lufkin/us59-corrigan-relief-route-future-I69.html
https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot-info/i69/polk/us-59-corrigan-fact-sheet.pdf
https://kicks105.com/massive-170-million-highway-59-project-to-begin-near-corrigan/

The impact of the Red Light may have been purposefully exaggerated. After the real work on the bypass engineering was begun, the traffic signal was reprogrammed and the traffic flows far better (but still a far cry from optimal.)
[/quote]

Bobby5280

A traffic light on an otherwise free-flowing highway is a freaking traffic light. Timing of the light in front of otherwise free-flowing traffic means nothing.

It still looks like the bypass around Corrigan will skirt the town to the West. Not above the town.

Did I read the news correctly that it will take TX DOT six freaking years to complete this bypass project? WTF.
:-/

CtrlAltDel

I was flying home for Thanksgiving, when I flew right past the Diboll bypass:

I have a few others of the US-59 corridor that I'll post once I can identify them.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CoreySamson

Just drove US 59 between Nacogdoches and Houston. Lots of work is taking place. In Nacogdoches, the bypass that is being built looks to be 75% done or so. It just needs a ton of work on the approaches. Surprisingly, it looks like there is some I-69 work actually happening on the NE side of Lufkin! It appears feeders being constructed there in both directions. The Diboll bypass only appears to be slightly behind the Nacogdoches project, with no work done on the approaches. Finally, traffic is currently redirected onto the feeder just south of Cleveland, as a couple new interchanges are being built in the area. When that section is done, the I-69 designation looks like it could be extended to Shepherd. 
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Rick Powell

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 10, 2022, 12:16:09 AM
It still looks like the bypass around Corrigan will skirt the town to the West. Not above the town.

Looking at the drawings, it appears that US 59/I-69 will be elevated over US 289, so I guess one part will go "slightly" over the ground level near Corrigan, but not the whole freeway over the town proper as seems to be suggested by the article's wording.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.