News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

not all that strange...

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: mightyace on June 23, 2009, 08:24:53 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 23, 2009, 08:15:39 PM
I'd much rather have the "A" than the "ALT" banner.  The banner I think should be restricted only to describe features that are directly related to the road in question: i.e. NORTH, JCT, TO ... ALT implies a direct relationship to, say, 64.  "64A" and "64" note that the roads are as distinct as, say, "64" and "164". 

I mostly agree with you, the only place where it would get tricky is with three digit US routes.

In PA, the old US 220 routing from Port Matilda to Milesburg is signed as ALT-US 220.  In your scheme, it would be US 220A.  I don't have a problem with the designation, but it would make for a strange sign.

NC does it with a hyphen!  That's five characters wide.

mightyace

Some ghost ramps may soon be disappearing.  :clap:
#
Bredesen Breaks Ground on Recovery Act Project in Nashville
July 1, 2009

Gov. Phil Bredesen joined TDOT Commissioner Gerald Nicely and state and local officials to break ground on Phase II of the I-40-White Bridge Road interchange improvement project funded with federal ARRA dollars.......More
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

rickmastfan67

Hey guys, has anybody been on I-75 in Chattanooga lately?  I'm wondering if they have finally opened up Exit #9 (Volunteer Ordnance Road) yet.

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 02, 2009, 04:56:47 PM
I much prefer a suffix A over an ALTERNATE banner.  Banners should be only for direction ... the shield itself should contain complete information to uniquely identify the road.  Texas has it right for BUSINESS being in the shield itself.

Which states do it which way?

Tennessee, North Carolina and Ohio use the suffix. Kentucky, Virginia, Alabama and West Virginia use the banner.

And of those that use the banner, which spell out "Alternate" and which abbreviate it "ALT?" (KY and VA spell it out, WV abbreviates.

I prefer the banner, especially since a "B" suffix can stand for either Business or By-Pass.

And why is "By-Pass" hyphenated and not just "Bypass?" :hmmm:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: mightyace on June 23, 2009, 08:24:53 PM

I mostly agree with you, the only place where it would get tricky is with three digit US routes.

In PA, the old US 220 routing from Port Matilda to Milesburg is signed as ALT-US 220.  In your scheme, it would be US 220A.  I don't have a problem with the designation, but it would make for a strange sign.

You mean like this?

Or this?

Interesting that the interstate guide sign for the above route is signed differently...

Then there's this...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Bypass should be "Y".  It makes intuitive sense with the letter looking like a fork in the road.  Alternately, one does not need "Bypass" if they have business; the bypass can be the mainline.

Nevada and Idaho had ALTERNATE instead of the state name on old shields but now are banners.

Every embossed route marker I have seen has had it about half height (3" instead of 5") with the suffix vertically centered. 

states with suffixes on flat shields:
Arkansas has it half-height, vertically centered or top aligned.
Arizona has it full height for 89A, but top aligned half-height for 95S.
California - all banners, all the time.  Lame.
Connecticut used a half-height A, bottom aligned. 
Delaware - full height
Florida - full height suffix A for older state routes, banner for US and newer state routes.  Hyphen for "S-" prefix, no hyphen for suffix, or for A1A, A19A, G19A.  S-A1A exists, as does Alt A1A (!) with a banner.
Georgia - banner inside shield (BUSINESS, SPUR, CONN, etc)
Hawaii - H- prefix, either with hyphen (older) or without (newer) on interstate shields
Idaho - banner instead of state name (ALTERNATE) on older cutouts, then banner inside shield (SPUR) on newer ones.  Suffixed I-15W, I-80N had letter below the number, half-height.
Illinois - banner instead of state name (CITY ROUTE, BUSINESS, BY-PASS) on older cutouts, occasional banner inside shield (BUSINESS or BUSN)
Kentucky - older black square shields have half-height vertically centered, newer ones have full-height suffix
Massachusetts - full height.  Don't know about old US-5A (1930s) as I have never seen an example.
Maine - older shields had half-height, bottom aligned, while newer ones are full-height.
Maryland - BUSINESS banner inside shield on occasion, and both half- and full-height for 70N, 70S interstate shields.
Minnesota - BUSINESS banner inside shield on occasion.  All 35E and 35W shields I've seen are full height.
Missouri - CITY ROUTE or ALTERNATE on occasional very old shields, including some on guide signs
Mississippi - half-height, centered, on older shields, and on newer ones full height
North Carolina - full height is all I've seen, even on older flat shields
Nebraska - SPUR or LINK in state highways replaces covered wagon; suffix letter is half-height, bottom aligned.  Older shields have CITY ROUTE instead of NEBRASKA
New Hampshire - older routes had the suffix below the number, centered horizontally and half-height.  Newer ones are full height, and have a hyphen.
New Mexico - FORMER 666 has banner inside shield.
Nevada - older shields have ALTERNATE instead of NEVADA; nowadays all banners.
New York - older shields have half-height suffix, newer ones are full height.
Ohio had the suffix A at half-height or less (one-third?), vertically centered.  Also used TEMPORARY instead of OHIO in very old shields.  80S had the S below the number, 80 and S all the same height.
Oklahoma - extra strange US shields, with BUSINESS or ALTERNATE banner squeezed within two horizontal lines, above the number ... all on a cutout blank!  Makes sense for green signs, but they use them for pole mount too.  For US shields, half-height, centered vertically.
Oregon - older shields half height and centered, newer ones (including 80N) full height
Pennsylvania - PA Turnpike is bannered, on two separate lines, within the shield for PA Turnpike 43, 66, etc.
Rhode Island has used both full height and bottom aligned half height, apparently interchangeably.
South Dakota uses a half-height A, top aligned and on occasion a superscript (higher than top aligned).  One rogue town uses green and white BUSINESS/LOOP/14 on US cutouts as though it were an interstate business loop.
Tennessee - half height, top aligned, on older shields, and full height on newer ones.
Texas - BUSINESS banner within shield itself; older I-35E and I-35W had half-height letter below number; newer ones are full height suffix.  On Alternate US-90 in Houston, banner says ALTERNATE on separate tab on pole-mounted signs, but some green signs survive with ALT 90 all within the shield.
Utah - reference to US-89A in Arizona features half-height suffix.
Virginia - just one example, an early 1950s cutout, with a full-height A.  Otherwise, banner heaven for ALTERNATE, BUSINESS, etc.  E and W were originally less than half-height, bottom aligned, but now are full-height.
Vermont - bottom-aligned, as much as 80% height, for letter A
Washington - old state routes had number above letter, both rows the same height.
Wisconsin - always bannered, with CITY on older assemblies.
Wyoming - old embossed shields had DETOUR instead of state name where applicable

there are probably other examples that I do not recall offhand; check the shield gallery!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 12, 2009, 09:06:27 AM
Hey guys, has anybody been on I-75 in Chattanooga lately?  I'm wondering if they have finally opened up Exit #9 (Volunteer Ordnance Road) yet.

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that I was on I-75 in Chattanooga last weekend.  The bad news is that I didn't go up that far - only about exit 5 or so.  I was headed on to Atlanta via I-24 and 75 and took a short detour, but the section of I-75 I was on did look rebuilt, including the exits.

mightyace

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 12, 2009, 04:13:38 PM
Ohio had the suffix A at half-height or less (one-third?), vertically centered.  Also used TEMPORARY instead of OHIO in very old shields.  80S had the S below the number, 80 and S all the same height.

It wasn't all of them.  I remember passing through Akron as a kid and seeing the I-80S signs with the S full height to the right of the numbers.  When I moved to Akron is 1985, they were still using the same BGS and you could see where the wide 80S sign was removed for the 76 sign.  (This sign lasted until the mid-90s when that stretch of highway was rebuilt.  The last trip I remember it being 80S was either 72 or 74 and by the next trip (74 or 76) the 80S sign has been replaced.

Since I was only 7 or 9 the last I saw the I-80S signs, I don't have any pictures.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mightyace on September 12, 2009, 06:00:45 PM

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that I was on I-75 in Chattanooga last weekend.  The bad news is that I didn't go up that far - only about exit 5 or so.  I was headed on to Atlanta via I-24 and 75 and took a short detour, but the section of I-75 I was on did look rebuilt, including the exits.

Alright. :(  I know the exit is "done" because in sat views, everything is already painted, yet the exit (as far as I know) isn't opened yet...

froggie

Those same satellite views also show it not connecting to any other side streets/side roads...not even any work being done to connect it.  In other words, it's a dead-end exit.  So that's probably why it hasn't opened yet.

wriddle082

This new I-75 exit will primarily serve the new Volkswagen plant, which is currently under construction and will probably open in 2011 or 2012.  Right now the exit is helpful for construction traffic.  I'm sure other vendors of Volkswagen are planning on setting up shop close by.

mightyace

I was traveling on I-65 on the south side of Nashville yesterday, and noticed that a number of poles about 20-30 feet high placed along the edge of the road with a couple per mile.

I'll let everyone know once I find out what they're for.  (Traffic cams, speeding cams, etc.)

froggie

Look at Mr. Mast's post from 9/12.

simguy228

Everu U.S Route in TN that I see has a split with E and W or N and S (For example U.S 19W and U.S 19E)
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

froggie

QuoteEveru U.S Route in TN that I see has a split with E and W or N and S (For example U.S 19W and U.S 19E)

23?  27?  43?  51?  64?

Not all of them.  Or did you mean those routes you've personally been on?

simguy228

Quote from: froggie on November 15, 2009, 07:56:00 AM
QuoteEveru U.S Route in TN that I see has a split with E and W or N and S (For example U.S 19W and U.S 19E)

23?  27?  43?  51?  64?

Not all of them.  Or did you mean those routes you've personally been on?
I meant the routes I've been on
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

Alex

TDOT moves forward on I-65 project

Sound barrier would be part of Franklin widening project

QuoteDespite uncertainty about crucial federal funding, state road officials are pushing forward on their plans to widen a traffic-choked six-mile section of Interstate 65 in Franklin.

That $80 million to $100 million project could include installing approximately a mile of sound barriers between the interstate and some homes built along it, officials said this week.

QuoteThe work would take an estimated two years to complete and could begin in 2012, if the federal money is available.

QuotePart of the project includes building a new $30 million Goose Creek interchange. The city has agreed to pay $4.8 million of that cost. When complete, the new eight-lane interchange would be similar to the McEwen Drive "single poin

mightyace

Quote from: AARoads on November 27, 2009, 12:00:28 AM
TDOT moves forward on I-65 project

It's about bloody time.  I travel that stretch of road nearly every day and the Peytonsville Rd. (what they call Goose Creek) exit #61 is an issue most of the day.

Quote"That's 10 years too late," Wright said about the work possibly starting in 2012. "This is just something that should have been done years ago."

Agreed.  (See above)

However, this project will only widen I-65 between TN 96 (Exit 65) and TN 840 (Exit 59).  It should be at least six lanes all the way to Saturn Parkway (TN 396, Exit 53).

kf4lhp

Still closed. They've got some money to do a design-build project east into Collegedale, connecting to the existing Apison Pike and making it five-lane the whole way, and there is money to extend the road at least into Enterprise South on the west side (towards Volkswagen). Eventual plan is to connect it through all the way to SR 58.

There will be quite a bit of traffic once the Apison Pike connection is done; McKee puts a lot of traffic on the road (makers of Little Debbies).

--mws

Alex

While looking through the Google News Archives, I found this article about Chattanooga's Interstate system that tries to give rationale to the designing of Interstate 124.

QuoteINTERSTATE 124 — From "the big scramble"  at I-24 to Signal Mountain Road

This freeway originated in the late 1950's as part of the West Side/Cameron Hill redevelopment and Olgiati Bridge projects. In some references, it was called the "Dayton (Tennessee) Freeway."  There may have been plans to offer the freeway as a northern route into Chattanooga, to be coupled with an Interstate that never materialized. The freeway ended at Signal Mountain Road until Corridor J was built in the late 1980's. It was assigned the spur number "124,"  which frequently caused confusion and panic to travelers who attempted to decipher "I-24"  vs. "I-124"  signs.

When the "big scramble"  interchange was re-worked in the late 1980's, U.S. 27 signs replaced most of the I-124 markers. I believe that there is still a small 124 sign as one leaves I-24 to merge onto U.S. 27

Alex

Does anyone know the status of Tennessee 385 east of Memphis? In other words, how much of the freeway is currently open to traffic?

froggie

codyg1985

Quote from: froggie on May 20, 2010, 12:26:21 PM
Here's your answer.

Segment 4 is complete (from US 72 to TN 57), and I believe Segment 1 from I-40 to US 64 is also complete.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Alex

Quote from: froggie on May 20, 2010, 12:26:21 PM
Here's your answer.

Thanks!

So all but Segment 3 is open, with Segment 3 possibly opening by late 2013.

Andy and I will be checking out the opened portions in a week and a half.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.